Home

MXGP The Official Motocross Game Demo Available Now on Steam

This is a discussion on MXGP The Official Motocross Game Demo Available Now on Steam within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: MXGP The Official Motocross Game Demo Available Now on Steam

^^^ This.

When I moved it to Pro and tried to compete, I bit it every other corner. After 4 or 5 races I really felt like I was accomplishing something by getting in a zone and winning a race. I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'll go on record now and say that I think MXGP will be the finest MX game we have ever seen thus far. I dig Reflex and Alive's physics but they lack in authenticity regarding Motocross and Supercross in so many ways that the games are only average to me. I hope the new MVA Supercross game changes all this. As it stands, I think EA's Supercross 2000 and MX Superfly were the best MX/SX title thus far.

Until now. I think Milestone takes the crown with the excellent MXGP. I'm glad I've got a couple of copies already pre-ordered.

Here are MXGP's demos pros and cons.

Pros

First and foremost...its just all about MOTOCROSS!!! Nothing else. That is needed in video games. No one else does a MX game only. You can feel the passion in this game.

Complete authenticity! They must have a mega deal with Youthstream because every rider is there. Every bike looks identical right down to Tony Cairoli's last sticker on his bike. Right down to his boots. They have every rider, every replica bike, perfect looking and riding REPLICA TRACKS which is huge, every team, rider's gear is perfect, every last sponsor. The amount of authenticity MXGP has is quite astounding...especially for a small company making only their 2nd MX game. Major props.

Full season points series mode!!! This again is huge!.

Bike tuning

Game speed seems perfect. Not exaggerated. I compared it side by side on 2 monitors with a real MXGP race and it is spot on.

Manual shifting. Nice!

Really nice looking career mode. Detailed.

Full race replays with different cameras for viewing all the race. Very sweet It also has the cool camera feature where you can pause, zoom and take pictures. Very nice.

Great atmosphere. From the track preview to the mechanics area with your mechanic and bike tech guy working on bike down to the little cut scenes and the menu screens and tip screens with all the real riders. Its just freakin nice and bleeds motocross.

Love the presentation so far which is obviously copped (wisely) straight from MXGP-TV. The on screen info is well thought out, useful and unobtrusive. I REALLY like the info on the bottom right hand of the screen such as holeshot, battle for first, and time intervals. This comes straight from the MXGP-TV broadcasts with Paul Mailin. It would be awesome if, in season mode, that they have the season points totals and the "as they run" points totals for the two motos like they do in the broadcasts. another small, nice touch.

You must brake on these tracks and let off the gas a lot. You must ride them like a real track. Slow down in the corners and ride realistically. You can't just pin it wide open all the time. Very well done.

front and rear brakes...nice

Excellent AI that rides smart and doesn't clean you out all the time.

Top tier riders ...Cairoli, Herlings, Paulin....seem to be near the top most of the time which in turn makes the points series make sense. Tom Brady should be at the top of the NFL games. same thing with moto and their elite riders.

Perfect looking REPLICA tracks of the World Motocross Circuit....worth saying again. they did an outstanding job replicating the tracks. Beautifully rendered. Realistic!!

MXGP's rider reflex is pretty good. Physics aren't quite there yet but getting there. It makes a huge difference in your racing. Not so much in the pre-animated scrubs and whips but in carrying momentum and timing jumps and cornering, gaining traction.

Ruts make a difference. You can't over steer or turn too fast or get cross rutted without going down. That is good.

MXGP cons (so far)

Physics are still a bit weak. It is a HUGE improvement over MUD but still. . Sometimes some really weird happen in regards to physics.

Whips and scrubs are just basically an animation so not much control over that. Not that big of a deal to me though as I think people put too much emphasis on those any way

Jumps are too floaty (like all Mx games)

Ready Steady Go starts are one of the worst aspects of the game. takes out the whole timing the gate idea.

Not much terrain deformation that I can see but only running 3 laps on one track so hard to tell.

Bike sounds need improving some. Not bad though.

No clutch...that's weak.

I wish it had an adjustable camera so you could pitch it to the side a bit where can see front wheel. Nice zoom feature though.

That is my two cents. Overall I think I will like MXGP much better than any other MX/SX thus far as it captures to whole atmosphere and feel of the pro MX racing.

Its great to have two new games coming out this year in MXGP and MVA Supercross. And I have much more faith in team Phoenix than I ever did with the old THQ people calling all the shots. Nordic and Team Phoenix will put out a great game, especially given time. I believe that. In the meantime, props to Milestone for really bringing a lot to the table. They still have some work to do on the physics side but they have got every other MX game topped in every other regard in just their second outing.

Can't wait to get the full game. I think MXGP is easily the new King of Motocross!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:38 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 19

Great review.

Where did you end up pre ordering your copy from ??

I was going to order one next weekend after I get back from our annual trip to St Louis for the Supercross
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
Rookie

Ebay, Rich.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #13
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37
Bit late to the demo but I had enough fun despite a few things. I'm really hoping they allow user content, mainly for tracks to keep things fresh and realistic for some. I'll preorder it as they're giving real bikes, real riders, a career mode and a list of real tracks. Its the little things that count, the controller working without any issues in the demo was great for me. The terrain in first person was weird to me but thats easily overlooked. The 2 big things for me that need to be addressed: 1) there needs to be a clutch and a realistic start 2) braking in air does nothing to pitch the front end down just like the real thing.

I saw over on another forum some really cool screens that people took during the replay of their race. Really wish there was a rewind button for the replay as the fast-forward isn't fast enough and you better pause at the right time or you need to restart from the start.

++Just looked at their support Q&A and saw that they will not allow custom tracks
Quote:
The Official Motocross Videogame is loyal to the license and to all the most famous motocross' championship tracks. That's why it won't be possible to create or share tracks in the game.

Last edited by av7; 03-26-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Rookie

My physical copies shipped from the UK today. Can't wait!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
ktm
Rookie

OVR: 3

Little confused...are you guys getting it for PC or for a console? Love the looks and would like to find out about a xbox addition for the US. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #16
Rookie

I honestly prefer games on console unless they are ones that can be modded and since MXGP is a licensed game of the real MXGP Milestone has said that modding extra tracks wouldn't be allowed. So I am buying a Xbox 360 copy (in hopes it will work on my US 360...like MUD did) but also buying a PS3 copy as a backup, in case the 360 version doesn't work. I have heard it may be region locked. I pretty much only play motocross games so though it is a lot of money on one title I don't really buy many games at all so its all good.

My PC runs the demo okay but I just don't care for PC games. Mine crashes too often.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »