Home

MLB 14 The Show Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Review (PS3) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 14 The Show Review (PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
If you play enough of any game.......you hear the same commentary over and over.
You know what's getting Old, Stale and Boring?
YEP.

M.K.
Knight165

It's not just the repeated commentary that I do not like. It's the way the commentary sounds is just kind of boring to me. I am sorry but it just does not sound like the commentary guys are all actually in the booth watching the game. Look when something is good I rave about it here and at the same time when something is bad I am going to let Sony know about.

Last edited by tnixen; 04-04-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Terrible theory!
No such thing as a "terrible theory".
Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
It's not just the repeated commentary that I do not like. It's the way the commentary sounds is just kind of boring to me. I am sorry but it just does not sound like the commentary guys are all actually in the booth watching the game. Look when something is good I rave about it here and at the same time when something is bad I am going to let Sony know about.

I'm with you.
Should I not have the same "right"!?

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I'm with you.
Should I not have the same "right"!?

M.K.
Knight165

Of course you do as does anyone else.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #21
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't believe in grading games. People only scroll down to see the grade or check metacritic nowadays. When you do a school test you can be graded on exactly what you had right and wrong. Reviewing games is just giving an opinion and (in my opinion) impossible to put an exact grade on. And don't get me started on grades like 8.3 that Gametrailers tend to have. Where the hell do they get that 0.3 from?!

Rant over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #22
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I don't believe in grading games. People only scroll down to see the grade or check metacritic nowadays. When you do a school test you can be graded on exactly what you had right and wrong. Reviewing games is just giving an opinion and (in my opinion) impossible to put an exact grade on. And don't get me started on grades like 8.3 that Gametrailers tend to have. Where the hell do they get that 0.3 from?!

Rant over.
The 1,2,4,5,6,7,9,0 buttons are broken on his iPad?

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
Rookie

ey215's Arena

OVR: 1

I think it's a fair review, but I do think the hit on the commentary was a bit harsh. I actually think the commentary took a pretty big step forward this year. It is much more conversational in nature, flows much better, and is more relevant to what has happened on the field than it has been in the past. Specifically some of the new end of half inning transitions are particularly good.

People are basically saying that they're using the same lines, but missing that they are using them in a much better manner. Not to mention the new commentary that has been added.

I think we hold commentary to some mythical standard that hasn't really existed. If you play any game a lot you are going to hear repetition and in some games that have been heralded in the past you didn't even have to play a lot.

NBA 2K comes to mind. Is the commentary good? Yes, it is but by the second game of a franchise you've heard the same stories about your team that you did in the first game.

This is the danger or tying commentary to specific players. I would like The Show's commentary to be more responsive to what is happening in your franchise world.

I don't think any developer in any sport has really nailed this quite yet. I do like the steps forward that The Show made this year.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1
I really enjoy Sony's MLB series, but this year I decided to rent it, and while the game is very good, I've decided to stick with last year's iteration. It still plays a great game of baseball, but I did not like QC as much as I thought I would (too many 3-2 counts when batting), I did not care for the dynamic camera (where is the low camera angle--was it removed?), could not find the option for turning on the catch region indicator (when playing outfield). This is my favorite franchise and I was looking forward to buying it. Who knows...may be the PS4 version will change my mind. Play Ball!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »