Home

MLB 14 The Show Day 1 Digital Pre-Order Has Started (PS4)

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Day 1 Digital Pre-Order Has Started (PS4) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #25
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB 14 The Show Day 1 Digital Pre-Order Has Started (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz
Will this be on the eu ps store for download? And if so will we get it there for release or do I need to make a us account to download it?

Cheers
You need US account and two US $30 psn cards to add $ to your account that you can buy from amazon.com for example, buy the digital psn cards, not the physical one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
Rookie

Turbo Lax 33's Arena

OVR: 3
Question: What is the benefit of doing a digital download?

I am considering DD but when i look at the flip side i don't see a benefit other than not having to go to the store. I have nothing to trade in when i am done with the game (depending on how long i play and when i trade this could be a value worth almost half as much as my original cost). I don't get any discount on the front end and i don't have a physical disk or box.

So why does the game cost as much as if i bought it in a store? If they want me as a customer to purchase a DD game, they need to incentivize me some how.

What are your guys thoughts on DD? What is the benefit?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #27
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Lax 33
So why does the game cost as much as if i bought it in a store? If they want me as a customer to purchase a DD game, they need to incentivize me some how.

What are your guys thoughts on DD? What is the benefit?
The benefit is convenience of not having to switch discs. Added benefit now of being able to use a PS Vita to remote play games on the hard drive.

I agree that digital should be cheaper, but deals with retailers probably play a big role in that not being as widespread right now.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #28
Rookie

ondreythegiant's Arena

OVR: 4

Technically, no tax makes it a little cheaper. Plus you're not using gas, and don't even have to move to get the game. Wins all over. Sports games don't sell worth anything unless it's the week after release. Even then you'd be lucky to get $35 for it.

Subscribe and follow!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0

DD is really about being lazy. So basically it's perfect for me. I hate going to stores and dealing with traffic especially if there's another option, DD. Even through Amazon I'm getting charged an extra 5.58 for tax. So I save a bit, adds up over time.

And if you play the Show until the next Show not any trade-in value.

Plus a DD or game disc, it uses the same amount of space on the PS4.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #30
Rookie

Turbo Lax 33's Arena

OVR: 3
Good point on not having to switch disks. I didn't think about that and i really do hate switching disks for some reason. Also, didn't realize the tax savings, I assumed there was tax and the $59.99 game would be about $65.00. So theres a $5 savings.

I guess the only thing i have to get over is not having a trade in when i am done with the game. I am one who trades in everything when i am done with it. For me i'd rather get $20 in trade then have a game sit on my shelf for years , that i eventually toss out. So with DD i have no trade in and if i hate the game after a week or two, I am screwed. $60 down the drain.

Thanks for the great comments guys. Something for me to think through.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #31
HAMBURGLAR

edwing's Arena

OVR: 5

Also consider that all games now have to be installed to the hard drive, whether that be disc or DD. So with most games being 40GB or larger and the hard drive being only 500GB, it would be easier to delete the game data and reinstall if you had a physical copy as opposed to having to re-download it with the digital version. It may not be an issue in the near future but as our game libraries grow we're definitely going to be doing a lot of deleting and reinstalling of game data when we run out of storage space. So if you don't necessarily have good internet speed or a large data cap (damn Canada), then once you delete the game off your hard drive it won't be as quick and easy to fire up the game again since you'll have to go through the process of re-downloading. Just something to keep in mind if a few years down the road you want to fire up 14 again for nostalgic reasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #32
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Lax 33
Good point on not having to switch disks. I didn't think about that and i really do hate switching disks for some reason. Also, didn't realize the tax savings, I assumed there was tax and the $59.99 game would be about $65.00. So theres a $5 savings.

I guess the only thing i have to get over is not having a trade in when i am done with the game. I am one who trades in everything when i am done with it. For me i'd rather get $20 in trade then have a game sit on my shelf for years , that i eventually toss out. So with DD i have no trade in and if i hate the game after a week or two, I am screwed. $60 down the drain.

Thanks for the great comments guys. Something for me to think through.
Thanks for your question(s). Also, thanks to those that responded. I too am in the same boat--being new to PS (went from PS2 to Xbox 360, now back to PS4 for The Show).

I figure it's better to go ahead and get at least $20 for it rather than just NO return value. Do that for '14, '15, and '16--and '17 is essentially "free".

The only plus I can really see here is being able to start the DL at 12:01 rather than having to wait for stores to open at 10 (or whenever)? Is the DL time only affected by the individual internet connection? Or does the amount of people DL the game simultaneously also affect the duration?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »