Home

Whatever Happened to the Arcade Sports Game?

This is a discussion on Whatever Happened to the Arcade Sports Game? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Whatever Happened to the Arcade Sports Game?

i really miss solid arcade titles..

i might be one of a select few who does, but its a nice change of pace going from our "sim" games to something quick and fun.

ive been saying for a few years now, i would love a Hitz, Blitz, Slugfest, Jam type of game with a 25 year franchise mode, playoff mode, ability to customize rosters/players to keep game updated, etc.

just basic stat tracking for the games above as well through the entire franchise. id be fine with just a 5 year limit instead of 25.

fast pace, stat tracking, action from those types of games would be a blast.

IMO it really stinks we cant get games like that every other year. game drops, say for 30 bucks. then every other year we get a DLC pack that we can buy that updates the graphics a bit, rosters, etc.

sweet dreaming i guess..

my arcade game now, is NHL 14. i go from playing NHL 2K10 to NHL 14 for the fast paced huge hit action.

sigh..
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
I think the lack of arcade sports games is a combination of exclusive licenses, licensing cost, and rising development cost.
Bingo.. With the increasing use of monopolistic practices (in the sports genre especially). no one is willing to take a chance. Things may soon change with the rise in indie games last couple of years. It's becoming more acceptable to allow customization and mods. We need to support that by supporting open platforms. Arcade titles are crucial for bringing in new fans imo.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Yeah, it is all about risk. I hope the new rise of indie developers changes the game. Creativity is sorely needed in gaming right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
I'm more of a sim gamer..... but yeah I really miss the NBA Street series.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0
Make me pick one and I pick sport sim however I'm a massive fan of arcade sports games. Take the new nba jam for example. Had some friends down from out of town which are not huge gamers at all and there was no way we were going to have competitive games with nba 2k. However jam was simple yet a ton of fun when we had all 4 of us huddled around the screen.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
I also believe the internet has made it less desirable. If you wanted to face someone in the past they would come over to your house and play. If you were way better at sports games you would bring out the arcade game and have some crazy fun. Now if you want to play some one and have a fun competitive game you just go online and face someone thus calling a friend over isn't necessary and makes that arcade game not as desirable as once was.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Whatever Happened to the Arcade Sports Game?

No more arcades.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »