Home

MLB 14 The Show: First Impressions (Video)

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: First Impressions (Video) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 14 The Show: First Impressions (Video)

Happy MLB 14 The Show release day! Many of you are getting your first crack at MLB 14 The Show on PS4 right now, and despite some huge hiccups when it comes to the digital download of the game -- everything seems to be going smoothly. Here are some quick hitting (pun?) impressions:
  • First off, the game is just smooth. The framerate makes the game feel more seamless and fluid.
  • The core gameplay experience just isn't going to be that different, neither from previous years or from the PS3 version. A lot of the changes will need more time than I've had to digest. If you are going into The Show with other expectations, you are going to be disappointed.
  • Quick counts/fast play is an incredibly efficient way to play the game. I have found myself forgetting to look at the count some and assuming it's 0-0 and taking a 1-2 pitch though.
  • The graphics themselves are beautiful. But as many have been saying, it looks like an enhanced version of the PS3 version of the game moreso than a complete overhaul of the visual engine. The lighting is enhanced and the crowds and stadiums look better.
  • The enhancements within The Show this year are found off of the field in the enhanced modes. No reinventing of the wheel this year.
Final Thoughts (For Now)

If you are a more casual baseball fan and you already own the PS3 version, you will not see much difference in upgrading. If you are a hardcore fan or were waiting on the PS4 version, you will be getting a refined/better looking version of the game you've been playing on the PS3 for years.

Don't expect the wheel to be reinvented, but when it comes to delivering a good and solid version of baseball Sony appears to have another solid title on its hands. Look for our full review coming soon!
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5
That's cool I can't wait, it looks fun, but I still can't download.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Who wants to bet this thread turns into a place to complain about the digital download issues?

Can't wait until UPS delivers my game later today! I've never played a version of this game ever. I expect it to be light years ahead of the 2k baseball series (outside of the pitching and the announcing).
Old 05-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Who wants to bet this thread turns into a place to complain about the digital download issues?

Can't wait until UPS delivers my game later today! I've never played a version of this game ever. I expect it to be light years ahead of the 2k baseball series (outside of the pitching and the announcing).
The digital download issue has been fixed so I don't think this thread will turn in to a complain session in that respect. The part that concerns me is the 4th bullet point about the graphics not being much different then the PS3 version.

MLB 14 team bragged about how more they can do on the PS4 version and much better it will look but now that the game has released the graphics aren't that far apart from the PS3 version? In any case I am excited to play!! I queued up my digital download from my PC at work and the game should be ready for me to play when I get home around 5pm PST. CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Just started!

2k baseball is JUNK compared to this series
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4
That's simply not good enough. What was the PS4 created for, FFS? Time for developers to start building for the PS4 and not the PS3. I'm saving my $ for EA UFC, then NHL 15 down the road.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Rookie

jaredsmith83's Arena

We all saw how much things changed from 07-08 and then again in 08-09 on the PS3. They just shined up the wheel instead of reinventing it. I imagine between 14-15 it'll be good, then 15-16 it'll be even more amazing. Let's just be excited for what we're getting! I know I'm pumped.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: MLB 14 The Show: First Impressions (Video)

Nice read. Would have a question for you Chris. Is the crowd, the feeling in the game, the crowd and the playing field better than NBA 2K14 for you?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »