Home

MLB 14 The Show Video: Franchise Mode Overview and Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show Video: Franchise Mode Overview and Impressions within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 14 The Show Video: Franchise Mode Overview and Impressions

The franchise mode in MLB 14 The Show is one of the deepest and most realistic career/franchise modes in all of sports games (outside of the text-sim world). With improved menus this year, it's easier than ever to find what you want, when you want it.

I posted a brief surface level walkthrough of the menus in Franchise mode and where to find everything. Also, here are some observations from the mode:
  • It's deep, realistic, well done overall. Seriously, there's no other mode of this type which approaches The Show's level of detail and attention to the actual roster rules.
  • Trade logic still needs help, why should the Royals be looking to trade James Shields in May, ever?
  • The sim options are pretty ok, but SportsCast Manager could use a few things to help it along still.
  • The ability to set lineups/starting pitchers for simulated games would be awesome. Without entering any menus, you can sim games in a mere second -- I'd love it if on the games I chose not to play, I could at least set my lineups.
  • The financial model is solid, but could still have layers of depth added to it.
  • Each organization/manager tends to not separate themselves from the rest. I'd love it if this was an area paid attention to in the future.
  • Stats are realistically done it appears, I've had few issues with the generated stats with 10 simulated seasons.
What are your impressions of franchise mode thus far? How is your franchise going?
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
They took away some things like the TV broadcast revenue and the fake ad revenues. Have not finished a season, so I have no idea how they calculate budgets year by year.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Very basic and bare stat tracking, removed financial management and commentary does not add to the immersion.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Year to year stat and award tracking is very poor. I can't look back at past seasons to see who won the world series...so why am I even trying. Full carrer stats for each year played and some sort of award tracking system which let's you look at the player card to see how many all star appearances, gold gloves, mvp awards guy has (madden and all 2k games have it). Add trade finder.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0
The franchise mode is good,but like the first guy that commented in this particular forum,I really like the changing ticket prices,merchandise,concessions,scheduling promotions,etc! Apparently there are a lot of people out there that could care less about that part of franchise mode. I wish they would bring back the newspapers and added a single single A teams that you can play in your franchise,I would love it,if they come when a player on the major league roster got hurt before he comes back he has to go on rehab assignment before he comes back to the big league club,it would be cool if they could do the rumour mill headlines like in nba 2k,and if you decide to expand and upgrade your stadium like adding more seats,adding a upper deck,or concessions stands etc,but you can actually see the upgrades in the stadium,not just say it,actually say it! I don't know if the ps4 is that powerful to do the stadium upgrade stuff,but it would be cool! They have it on Madden and nba 2k,but you never see the actual upgrades! That's my wish list!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Year to year stat and award tracking is very poor. I can't look back at past seasons to see who won the world series...so why am I even trying. Full carrer stats for each year played and some sort of award tracking system which let's you look at the player card to see how many all star appearances, gold gloves, mvp awards guy has (madden and all 2k games have it). Add trade finder.
I agree completely. For me, the fun of having a franchise mode is to be able to look back and see who went where and did what. The crappy stat and award tracking here makes that pretty difficult (if not impossible). And, I might add, this is also my major gripe with the NHL series.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11
I agree with all comments said, while I love that you can control EVERYTHING or basically nothing in franchise, you def. still should have more stat tracking, especially playoff and world series tracking for franchise guys. I mean that's what it's all about for replay value if you are a big franchise player.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: MLB 14 The Show Video: Franchise Mode Overview and Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Madden doesn't have it that's what missing as well in madden. Hope they nailed it this year. They show awards won but not the year it was won or track probowls or SuperBowls won. This is needed.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »