Home

How NHL 15 Will Capture the Look and Feel of Hockey with NBC Sports Broadcast Package

This is a discussion on How NHL 15 Will Capture the Look and Feel of Hockey with NBC Sports Broadcast Package within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: How NHL 15 Will Capture the Look and Feel of Hockey with NBC Sports Broadcast Pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Yep exactly the same. That skating engine was in 09, the changes to hitting and puck physics were also in 09. Oh wait.

Fact of the matter is there's only so much a dev team can do when being limited to 512 megs of ram.
So two things?

The "physics" if you want to call them that are garbage anyway. It looks like a roller derby out there. Bodies flying everywhere. How often do you see someone get absolutely blown up in an NHL game? Once maybe twice? I actually thought the physics were better in NHL 13 but the kiddies couldn't take a runs from the opposite blue line in EASHL so they made the change this year.

I'm not even going to talk about the puck physics.

Don't get me wrong I play this game more than any other, but they never took it to the next level. I'm not one to get caught up in presentation, because if the game isn't fun I'm not going to play it, but you wonder what they were doing with dev time over the last few years other than building their money maker- HUT.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: How NHL 15 Will Capture the Look and Feel of Hockey with NBC Sports Broadcast Pac

I don't know if this was already posted but here's a big press release on EA's site. It probably has stuff we've already seen but may have new things. http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=845226
Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #19
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I've never been an EA hockey guy, always played 2k. Still playing 2k10 now. This sounds promising though, I'll give it a look. Hope there will be a demo.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
So two things?

The "physics" if you want to call them that are garbage anyway. It looks like a roller derby out there. Bodies flying everywhere. How often do you see someone get absolutely blown up in an NHL game? Once maybe twice? I actually thought the physics were better in NHL 13 but the kiddies couldn't take a runs from the opposite blue line in EASHL so they made the change this year.

I'm not even going to talk about the puck physics.

Don't get me wrong I play this game more than any other, but they never took it to the next level. I'm not one to get caught up in presentation, because if the game isn't fun I'm not going to play it, but you wonder what they were doing with dev time over the last few years other than building their money maker- HUT.
Aside from the floaty puck on some of the dumps, I don't think over all the puck physics in 14 are terrible. I've certainly played hockey titles over the years with worse physics. NHL2k10 for example is pretty much bumpercar hockey yet the same people who slag on EA year in year out, rave about how great 2k10 is.

I'm not sure how the online game is as I don't play online, but with the right sliders I don't see guys flying everywhere, it's actually not bad at all, is it perfectly realistic? No, but it's a video game, if you're expecting a perfect representation of hockey from EA or Take Two, or Ubisoft or any publisher for that matter, you're going to end up disappointed in the end.

I will say one thing though that needs to be addressed is neutral zone pressure, that is the one area of the game that has sorely needed some addressing for a while now. And now that they have so much more ram to play with, they have zero excuse to not address it. Be it via sliders or making more sliders to further customize how the game plays, or AI tweaks. Either way the neutral zone issue needs to be addressed in some fashion.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #21
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Aside from the floaty puck on some of the dumps, I don't think over all the puck physics in 14 are terrible. I've certainly played hockey titles over the years with worse physics. NHL2k10 for example is pretty much bumpercar hockey yet the same people who slag on EA year in year out, rave about how great 2k10 is.

I'm not sure how the online game is as I don't play online, but with the right sliders I don't see guys flying everywhere, it's actually not bad at all, is it perfectly realistic? No, but it's a video game, if you're expecting a perfect representation of hockey from EA or Take Two, or Ubisoft or any publisher for that matter, you're going to end up disappointed in the end.

I will say one thing though that needs to be addressed is neutral zone pressure, that is the one area of the game that has sorely needed some addressing for a while now. And now that they have so much more ram to play with, they have zero excuse to not address it. Be it via sliders or making more sliders to further customize how the game plays, or AI tweaks. Either way the neutral zone issue needs to be addressed in some fashion.
That's the thing you play offline. I play strictly online because I can't take the AI anymore. I can't adjust sliders. I'm at the mercy of EA and their 3 turner sets a year. If they want to have roller derby, fine, have a setting for it and give us the option to play on a sim setting or casual.

Last edited by gator3guy; 05-18-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
That's the thing you play offline. I play strictly online because I can't take the AI anymore. I can't adjust sliders. I'm at the mercy of EA and their 3 turner sets a year. If they want to have roller derby, fine, have a setting for it and give us the option to play on a sim setting or casual.
I agree, which is why the presets like Hardcore should make more of a difference. Either that or expand the range of sliders, or even add more clicks to the sliders they currently have, that have more of a drastic effect on the game play itself.

This AI Vision thing they're pushing now, sounds almost like Hockey IQ from NHL 14, and we all know how that worked out. It remains to be seen if they actually will walk the walk this year in regards to AI behavior, rather than just talking the talk like they seem to have done the last couple years in regards to AI.

That being said I think it's gotten better on last gen over the last couple years, from 12-14, the AI at least moves now rather than always just standing still, but it's still no where near where it needs to be, or where it should be. Memory limitations aside.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
Rookie

Semipro91's Arena

OVR: 1
Thank GOD Pierre McGuire isn't going to be doing anything. I couldn't handle playing and hearing about where Steve Ott played his juniors and who his coach was.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro91
Thank GOD Pierre McGuire isn't going to be doing anything. I couldn't handle playing and hearing about where Steve Ott played his juniors and who his coach was.
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure Eddie will compensate though with a lot of uses for the phrase 'RIGHT.....THERE!' on replays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »