Home

Madden NFL 15: New Tackling Mechanics Explained

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15: New Tackling Mechanics Explained within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 15: New Tackling Mechanics Explained

EA Sports posted a new blog detailing the tackling mechanics in Madden NFL 15. Check out the blog for full details on each system.

Tackle Cone

User controlled defenders now have an all-new Tackle Cone that is used to determine if they can complete a conservative tackle. If the user presses A (Xbox One) or X (PlayStation 4) while the ballcarrier is somewhere in defender's Tackle Cone, the defender will engage in a non-big hit tackle animation. Success of this tackle is based on a number of factors, primarily player ratings. that may or may not be successful based on a number of factors. Ballcarriers can attempt special moves to to avoid these tackles. The visual aspect of the Tackle Cone can be turned On or Off in the settings menu.

Conservative Tackles

User-controlled defenders can now decide between aggressive and conservative tackles. By pressing A (Xbox One) or X (PlayStation 4) when a ball carrier is in the defender’s sights, defenders can attempt a Conservative Tackle on the runner.

Aggressive Tackles

Aggressive Tackle combines both dive and Hit Stick tackles. If a ball carrier is within three yards of the defender, pressing the Aggressive Tackle button (X on Xbox One, Square on PS4) will trigger a Hit Stick tackle. If the offensive player is outside of three yards, pressing the Aggressive Tackle button will result in a diving tackle attempt.

The success of these tackle are based on a number of factors, including player ratings and timing. If a user attempts a tackle before the ball carrier reaches them, they could whiff on the tackle entirely.

What do you think of the new tackling system in Madden?
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 15: New Tackling Mechanics Explained

Glad the tackle cone can visually be turned off.

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 06-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9
if they have tackling cones but no qb vision cone brought back.......cmon.......both could be turned off and the qb vision cone a lot more useful in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Pro

Rams_3's Arena

OVR: 1
A tackle cone? Come on EA your killing me. Glad it can b turned off.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The tackle cone isn't going to be relevant for most anyone on this message board, but for anyone picking up Madden NFL for the first time I could see it being a useful teaching tool for playing open-field defense against a ballcarrier.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Please bring back the vision cone! I want to be able to look off defenders without having to pump fake. Heck have it turned off by default.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The tackle cone isn't going to be relevant for most anyone on this message board, but for anyone picking up Madden NFL for the first time I could see it being a useful teaching tool for playing open-field defense against a ballcarrier.
Most people probably won't even know it's there. I think it was Shopmaster that said once you go above Pro it turns off by default.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The QB Vision cone could've been relevant for almost everyone on this message board as well though, IMO. I could also see that being useful teaching tool for actually going through your reads and actually looking off defenders. IMO, it's been far too long for Madden and other sports games to cater to the first time users. The QB vision cone I know was either a hate it or love it feature, but it was the best addition I thought they made to the game, that could've been worked on and implemented better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »