Home

MLB The Show: More Improvement Still Needed With Franchise Mode Menus

This is a discussion on MLB The Show: More Improvement Still Needed With Franchise Mode Menus within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB The Show: More Improvement Still Needed With Franchise Mode Menus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman85
I could care less about the menus. How about some stuff to help with trades, or a full player card? If 2k can do it, there is no reason Sony can't. also, they have the top 50 insignia, so how about a Top 50(at least) list so when you are looking to trade for prospects, you can decide who is better.
'The hell does that mean?

As far as navigation is concerned, it's all about scrapping everything and going back to the drawing board. Like literally, I want to do the same thing with my wiring in my home theater. Figuring out how to optimize everything and reference what to where is one of the most difficult things to do, and figuring out what should/shouldn't have shortcuts can be strenuous. I have enough trouble on main pages of websites, and that has every graphic with drop-down tabs and a mouse.

That's the big thing they might want to try for: more nested layers, less linearity. If everything is a brand new page and screen, you sometimes can't even recognize where you last were. Or at the very least, work like a computer's windows where it shows the branches of the tree from what previous screens you were on.

I haven't yet played this year's version, but it sounds like it's a bit of the same hiccups that they've always had. I don't think it's easy, but it requires a lot of overhauling. Now somebody work on my bedroom wiring haha.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #10
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12
Hopefully SCEA is listening and reading this article as well. This is a very informative article and open handed slap in the face of SCEA or makers of the Show. We all can use one of those every now and then.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 3

Menus? That would be a good start I guess. But they need to do a lot more than that.

Every year I try to start a franchise, and every year I can't get through it because it's just not compelling at all. It does little to reflect what a running a baseball franchise should be about, leaves you in the dark about many things, and then dumps a bunch of tedium on you.

For all the praise this game gets, it really leaves me wondering why when I look at their bland, shallow, and overly complex franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4
For my money, combine the stats and immersion of OOP with the gameplay of the Show and you'd have something to behold. Even 2K with their stories and stats had a leg up on The Show. Reason I've stuck with my Mlb11 and haven't upgraded since. Bought OOP last year and just love it. Sure, miss the gameplay and the batter/pitcher battles...the live action....but the stats, contract info, news stories, milestones and depth of OOP is awesome. In the past, the PS3's capacity constraints were blamed...well, PS4 is basically a PC...so, capacity shouldn't be an issue.....A common code base for the developers between the PS3 and PS4 may be more the reason next-gen will be held back for the near-term. IMHO
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

Hell it would be sweet to just have half of the stat tracking of ootp in the show!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
'The hell does that mean?

As far as navigation is concerned, it's all about scrapping everything and going back to the drawing board. Like literally, I want to do the same thing with my wiring in my home theater. Figuring out how to optimize everything and reference what to where is one of the most difficult things to do, and figuring out what should/shouldn't have shortcuts can be strenuous. I have enough trouble on main pages of websites, and that has every graphic with drop-down tabs and a mouse.

That's the big thing they might want to try for: more nested layers, less linearity. If everything is a brand new page and screen, you sometimes can't even recognize where you last were. Or at the very least, work like a computer's windows where it shows the branches of the tree from what previous screens you were on.

I haven't yet played this year's version, but it sounds like it's a bit of the same hiccups that they've always had. I don't think it's easy, but it requires a lot of overhauling. Now somebody work on my bedroom wiring haha.
Not only did 2k have a full player card ( where you could view career stats and achievements such as MVPs and Championships) they also had a Top 100 prospect list so you could view the best prospects at once, instead of having to go team by team, looking for the Top 50 log.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman85
Not only did 2k have a full player card ( where you could view career stats and achievements such as MVPs and Championships) they also had a Top 100 prospect list so you could view the best prospects at once, instead of having to go team by team, looking for the Top 50 log.
logo.* And my point was if 2k can do that, Sony should be able to bring it to The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Pro

Sco291's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Menus? That would be a good start I guess. But they need to do a lot more than that.

Every year I try to start a franchise, and every year I can't get through it because it's just not compelling at all. It does little to reflect what a running a baseball franchise should be about, leaves you in the dark about many things, and then dumps a bunch of tedium on you.

For all the praise this game gets, it really leaves me wondering why when I look at their bland, shallow, and overly complex franchise mode.
THIS.

Listen, I love The Show....realy the only sports game I play anymore, but wht is highlighted in red above is SO true. I love starting a franchise but then about halfway through the season I lose interest because every game, every "postgame show" and every part of playing the games and having the games end is repetitive. At least give us the newspaper article back... I don't think these incredible and brilliant devs (much love) knew how much depth ad realism that gave to franchise mode. I just need more out of franchise so I don't become bored with it a season in....for franchise, meaning multiple years, I need something more to keep me interested.

Menu's I honestly don't have that much of a problem with, I think they're really good. However, they can get confusing at times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »