Home

MLB The Show: More Improvement Still Needed With Franchise Mode Menus

This is a discussion on MLB The Show: More Improvement Still Needed With Franchise Mode Menus within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #17
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB The Show: More Improvement Still Needed With Franchise Mode Menus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman85
Not only did 2k have a full player card ( where you could view career stats and achievements such as MVPs and Championships) they also had a Top 100 prospect list so you could view the best prospects at once, instead of having to go team by team, looking for the Top 50 log.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman85
logo.* And my point was if 2k can do that, Sony should be able to bring it to The Show.
I know what it was. Clearly my question wasn't properly received, but I'll refrain for the good of the community.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

As has been said a couple of times, franchise mode is absolutely lifeless. If they re-do the menu screens, they should really look into connecting you to the rest of the league. Every meaningful thing that happens during the year is lost to me if it doesn't happen in a game I am playing. Madden, which never seems to do anything right, does a great job immersing you in the franchise by detailing the top news every week, and love 'em or hate 'em, the fake Twitter profiles add a nice dash of immersion as well. Maybe add a milestone watcher to the menus, too, so we can see the active HR leaders, hits leaders, etc, so we can really feel the franchise growing as we play it.

More to the point, some of the boxes become pointless throughout the year, just adding to the clutter. Once the draft occurs and draftees signed(why don't they report to A ball after signing, still? I want to get to work on developing my 98 pot, 54 ovr SP as soon as he signs) at least 3 boxes are worthless for over half of the season. Group all of that into a "scouting/drafting" box, then scouting, sign picks, scouts, etc will all be together, instead of a few tabs away from each other.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #19
Rookie

jilly55's Arena

I'm not an OOTP player, but i completely agree. Key statistics need to be more presentable, rather than digging through that player's card.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly55
I'm not an OOTP player, but i completely agree. Key statistics need to be more presentable, rather than digging through that player's card.
I agree, but the game needs to track them before we can see them. Each year I'm even more dumbfounded than the year before that this title is so lacking in this regard.... Smh. How can a group of ppl that love the game of baseball so much not start with a game that would track stats? 2k was light years ahead in Stat tracking n the presentation of said stats!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #21
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
I agree, but the game needs to track them before we can see them. Each year I'm even more dumbfounded than the year before that this title is so lacking in this regard.... Smh. How can a group of ppl that love the game of baseball so much not start with a game that would track stats? 2k was light years ahead in Stat tracking n the presentation of said stats!
Hundreds of light years ahead! What's the point of playing a franchise if you get no satisfaction of seeing the franchise growing? A milestone list, an active/all-time leaders list, a Top 50/100 prospect list, ANYTHING!

I can't even track how many career stolen bases my players have!

IMO 2k's approach to this was spot-on... I'd love to see a "player achievements" page to a player card, or a league history page or anything. Something to make it seem like I'm not just playing a game over and over again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #22
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellevator
Hundreds of light years ahead! What's the point of playing a franchise if you get no satisfaction of seeing the franchise growing? A milestone list, an active/all-time leaders list, a Top 50/100 prospect list, ANYTHING!

I can't even track how many career stolen bases my players have!

IMO 2k's approach to this was spot-on... I'd love to see a "player achievements" page to a player card, or a league history page or anything. Something to make it seem like I'm not just playing a game over and over again.
No doubt...
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 24

I actually like the core franchise menu system a heck of a lot... It's so much easier and more natural than it's ever been

I do agree about the wrong information being given on sub-screens though, especially with the lineup screen. (The roster management screen is another bad one).

Another pet peeve is that we can't use L1 or something similar, to scroll between players after opening up the player card. So if I want to see who has the higher batting avg between two players, I have to open the player card, click over to the relevant stats, then close it, and scroll to the next player, and do it again. This is an issue both in lineup management and in roster management.

Ideally I'd be able to leave the card open and still be able to cycle through my roster.

Even more ideally, the stats that matter would be on the first page, but you made that point already.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

One thing I do dislike about the new user interface in general, not specifically in franchise mode, is that the location of menu items are no longer consistent. Depending on which (sub)mode you are in, the location for the same item varies which makes it harder to browse menu.

I know it's a fad to replicate the touch-screen style UI these days, but other than things looking cooler, it hasn't really helped navigate...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »