Home

NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement

This is a discussion on NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement

Does this include the Bill Walsh series?

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Old 07-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #18

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736
Here is a what if solution that maybe anybody with a legal background could help: What if the Judge sides with the NCAA and the O'Bannon team loses the case? The likelihood of that happening looks slim but it could happen. Wouldn't that set a precedent for future cases? So student athletes in the future couldn't be able to sue on the rights of likeness because of how this turned out and the ruling? And if that is the case, wouldn't the EA Sports team be able to go back to making the game like it was before but with less obvious players/numbers on the team (ie, randomized rosters)? Just a thought and not sure how that would hold up legally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngeloTMNT
Either way there will be an NCAA Football game again. The EA Exec said during the trial they were making $80 mil a year off of NCAA Football alone. EA said it wants to continue to make the Football series, they just need to wait until this is straightened out. Whether the NCAA wins or O'Bannon wins, there will be a NCAA Football game again. NCAA Basketball or Baseball is unlikely, but possible.
Guys, as the story indicate this was the settlement, it is not going in front of a judge and is done.

As for the future of NCAA games there is no lock there will be a game in the future. If you clicked on the top link in the story it shows you that EA also had a very large settlement with the CLC which is the biggest problem.

As was mentioned previously in the thread, some teams have already dropped out (or threatened to) of the CLC so a future game would be like back in the Bill Walsh days where you were playing games like Tallahassee vs. South Bend.

Given the success of Arena football I don't think there is much of a market for a game like that nowadays.

We can hope but I'm not as optimistic as some.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is even going to trial. The courts have ruled that fantasy leagues can use actual pro player names and stats without compensation, so I don't see why EA has to pay when most of the player info was inaccurate. The picture of the player was generic, and again, was sometimes way off. Where the kid was from wasn't always on point. This case should have been thrown out the minute it was filed. Hell, maybe I should launch a suit and claim a fan in a game was infringing on my likeness. There is a Black guy in the last few years of MLB that my friends say look like me.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
You guys are looking at this wrong. Sure, we don't have a game this year or probably next year, but once the NCAA allows the Athletes to receive compensation, imagine how realistic the game will be. Real players, likeness, headshots, ect. These athletes should get paid, O'Bannon won't earn much from this trial, but he will help Athletes get paid in the future and allow a much more realistic video game for us to enjoy.
There are 126 teams which equals roughly 8820 players...

I don't think that would lead to a more realistic game because I doubt EA would take the time to get all those players accurate.

That would be headshots or ratings....

Hopefully this leads to another NCAA game soon but i don't think it will change the way EA has been ratings players.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #21

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is even going to trial.
Seriously, are you guys reading this at all?

The story makes it clear its been settled therefore not going to trial.

In the post before yours, I mentioned it again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #22
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdujour
the guys who rebuild rosters to have actual players on them should get $20,000 for their efforts, always appreciated!
I know this is in jest, but if anything that'd open them up to more legal risk than they are already creating player likenesses. Profiting off of players and not paying them is why this lawsuit exists, after all.

Quote:
You guys are looking at this wrong. Sure, we don't have a game this year or probably next year, but once the NCAA allows the Athletes to receive compensation, imagine how realistic the game will be. Real players, likeness, headshots, ect. These athletes should get paid, O'Bannon won't earn much from this trial, but he will help Athletes get paid in the future and allow a much more realistic video game for us to enjoy.
There is so much that has to be figured out, a way to license the likeness of all the players similar to the players union isn't going to pop up overnight, and even if it did that doesn't mean it will be economical to even purchase those rights for use in a video game - certainly won't be at anything close to the $ per player that's being talked about.

Last edited by mestevo; 07-06-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #23
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
NCAA Football Players Could Receive up to $20,000 in Likenesses Settlement

My company hired a D1 football player for summer help and talking about this with him has been pretty fascinating. He pretty much said that if he just got the game for free that would have been fine with him. It's just crazy how it works, he got a $2000 laptop for playing in a bowl game but couldn't get this game for free.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #24
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

and the lawyers get $,$$$,$$$,$$$ lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »