Home

Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden

EA Sports released a brief Madden NFL 15 video featuring the new Gauntlet mode yesterday. A couple of sites have posted their previews this morning. If any more show up, this post will be updated.
Quote:
The Skills Trainer mode features 48 new drills, but beyond teaching you the controls of the game, they go deeper to teach you core football concepts like recognizing defenses. "When we playtested," says designer Danny Doeberling, "we found out that people call cover 2 defense, people call a smash route. They have no idea what that actually is. So, we're actually taking them through how to recognize a cover 2 defense. And once you actually see it on the field, we'll have you attack that. When you're calling different pass plays, what actually makes up a pass play? What's a cross? Outs? We basically teach you the foundation of the coverages, and we also [teach you] the most common pass concepts. We basically teach you football." Accordingly, there are also drills in the mode where you call red zone plays, for instance.
Quote:
As Cam and I crafted this vision to take the game toward 'more realistic and more authentic,' what we realized is, if we don't teach people how football works, they're never going to understand this game," Dickson continued. "That's really why the Skills Trainer mode was developed, is because I basically pitched that we need a tutorial system if we're going to keep going in a realistic, authentic direction.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Polygon: Madden 15 wants to teach you about football

Key quote right here:

"As Cam and I crafted this vision to take the game toward 'more realistic and more authentic,' what we realized is, if we don't teach people how football works, they're never going to understand this game," Dickson continued. "That's really why the Skills Trainer mode was developed, is because I basically pitched that we need a tutorial system if we're going to keep going in a realistic, authentic direction."

This thread should be interesting, to say the least.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82

cute.......Pat Kirwin, author of Take Your Eyes Off The Ball, has already done that but thanks anyway!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I've hammered on this on here.

More than anything else, sports games' biggest failing to this point has been accessibility and teaching its users how to play. This is evident in the fact that no gaming-oriented people around me will even attempt to play Madden, NBA 2K, The Show, or even WWE with me, because I'm a veteran of sports games and a hardcore sports fan in general. I know how to play these games, while they are helplessly behind with few to no in-game mechanisms available with which to catch up.

This is a necessary step for expanding the pool of potential customers for the Madden series, particularly as the NFL's popularity continues to grow. One they probably won't see any credit for on this message board, but - assuming the mode is well-executed - one they deserve credit for nevertheless.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
cute.......Pat Kirwin, author of Take Your Eyes Off The Ball, has already done that but thanks anyway!
That's the thing - no one is going to read a 200-page book to learn how to play a football video game.

If a game can't engage a new player with the mechanics of the game in a meaningful way within the first ten minutes, the gamer will put the game down and never come back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Lurking

kongemeier's Arena

OVR: 8

But... well, penalties would be a decent place to start then!
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
That's the thing - no one is going to read a 200-page book to learn how to play a football video game.

If a game can't engage a new player with the mechanics of the game in a meaningful way within the first ten minutes, the gamer will put the game down and never come back.
agreed.....perhaps it should be spun as..."Madden Dev's wanna teach you how to play their game.." ??

dunno...props to them for the effort to educate tho
Old 07-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Nice..I am looking forward to the skill trainer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »