Home

What Really Killed NCAA Football? The Lawsuit or the Lack of a Playoff?

This is a discussion on What Really Killed NCAA Football? The Lawsuit or the Lack of a Playoff? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A lawsuit isn't what really killed NCAA Football; the lack of a playoff did

The editor does make not having NCAA 15 bearable, but it's hard not to play the "what if" game... Might have finally gotten back some of the features they took away when they went to the PS3... Wait, who am I kidding? NCAA 15 would have been stripped down to the barest of bones.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I'll play '14 even without a playoff option. Simply for the love of college football this fall.

I am however hoping the series comes back in the future so we can get a next-gen version.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
khaliib mentioned what I was going to. There's the editor that can add a 4 team playoff (or 8 team or 16 team or whatever you want) to NCAA 14 already. The amount of replayability this adds to the game is tremendous.
It's not the same as having a real playoff.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 1

The article title makes no sense. The lawsuit (or threats of lawsuits) are exactly what killed NCAA. The lack of a playoff in 14 had nothing to do with it.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #13
Rookie

Saddest summer of my life
Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
The article title makes no sense. The lawsuit (or threats of lawsuits) are exactly what killed NCAA. The lack of a playoff in 14 had nothing to do with it.
I think what is meant by the article title is that the conclusion of the game (for the near future, at least) is not what really hurts playing it going forward......if the BCS system were still intact then all we would need is to update the rosters and live with outdated uniforms. It's the fact that the playoff system has changed how national champions are determined that really makes playing '14 feel dated despite roster updates.

Your point is taken that you couldn't have one without the other, but I'm in the camp that believes that EA could have patched the current game to include a "generic" playoff system without risking further lawsuits. The lawsuit was over player likenesses, not the similarity between the bowl game system.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I believe the article is referring to the fact that NCAA 14 would still be a game played for years to come if only the Playoff was in the game.

Games tend to live on long after support for the title is gone, so the fact that EA isn't making the game any more means doesn't mean that people won't still play it, but the fact that it doesn't have the playoff in the game, means that the game will die out online quicker which means EA will pull the plug on the servers sooner which means the game will be dead in terms of online and thus much less interactivity (rosters would have to be passed along using downloads to USB, not the roster share), Also Teambuilder will eventually be taken down and with it the ability to recreate uniforms, approximate new stadiums, etc.

The game was already going to die because EA will not make another version for the foreseeable future, but the fact that this decision to end the series happened a year before the Playoff System was put into place means that the game will die out online even quicker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 AM   #16
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I immediately disagreed with this article when I read it. A playoff will eventually kill this game but we have 6 months before a playoff is a real thing. We're just used to the BCS system so the immersion factor will not come come into play until a playoff happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »