Home

NHL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - True Hockey Physics

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - True Hockey Physics within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - True Hockey Physics

EA Sports posted the newest NHL 15 trailer today (and 4 more screenshots), showing off the new physics in this years game. In the trailer, we see that not only are the players getting a physics overhaul but the puck itself is getting new physics. The game will feature physics which see the puck interacting with the ice in ways we've only dreamed of up until this point.

What do you think of the trailer?

Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Rookie

GoFlaPanthers's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 15 Trailer - True Hockey Physics

The game looks incredible. However, It's still very disappointing to see players with the same generic faces (Kulikov).

Definitely think that getting nearly all player faces in is MUST for 16.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

That's more like it!

I'm liking a lot of what I saw. It'll be interesting to see how overboard these player physics are, looks like it could potentially be a ****show every time more than 2 guys get close to each other. Also hoping that finally player size/weight/momentum will actually mean what it should in these situations. Either way, the 12 player talk sounds nice but I'm skeptical until I see more.

On the other hand, the puck looks great! Rolling pucks, pucks bouncing over sticks (assuming that's not a canned thing), fluttering on bad shots, etc - it just looks more alive in general, which has me excited for sure. I've always preferred the puck physics in the 2k series (even if they were a little much sometimes), and this looks to be more in line with that. Based on the PS4 version of FIFA vs. last gen, I do actually have a lot of confidence in how this area will feel.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6

Its really friggen sweet to see Ray Ferraro on the side with another guy. Physics look incredible. can't wait
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Didn't show much, as expected. Sounds promising, but will take time with the game to see if it really impacts and pays off like it should.

Tough to tell much from these, but the goalie play looks brutal still. Very stiff and not lifelike at all. The one attempted save at 30-34 seconds by Scrivens, the Oilers goalie, horrible canned animations again.

And the play where Ovi gets dumped by a hip check, awful! Physics not working properly again with the checking. He is already by the guy, not to mention who throws a hipper in the slot or at the top of the crease?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

as exciting as this SEEMS at first glance, do we not basically hear the same thing year after year and see the results are underwhelming? I am hoping the puck physics are closer to the 2k series as well which was much more "organic". Hoping the player collisions without hits (Incidental contact) is realistic but not overblown/over the top.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Didn't show much, as expected. Sounds promising, but will take time with the game to see if it really impacts and pays off like it should.

Tough to tell much from these, but the goalie play looks brutal still. Very stiff and not lifelike at all. The one attempted save at 30-34 seconds by Scrivens, the Oilers goalie, horrible canned animations again.

And the play where Ovi gets dumped by a hip check, awful! Physics not working properly again with the checking. He is already by the guy, not to mention who throws a hipper in the slot or at the top of the crease?
Tell that to some of the guys in my beer league…

I think the players in general are going to be a little janky until they literally rebuild the game from the ground up (like actually, not just reskinning and refining). It's not really an excuse, it's just gotten to the point where I don't think we can expect any different, which is sad. It does make me wonder whether we'll perhaps see a big leap sometime in a couple years when they finally stop making this a cross-gen series, or if we'll potentially be waiting until PS5.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
A true goalie AI overhaul would be truly revolutionary to the series, I think it could be a major selling point (THE major selling point) to have new goalie AI rather than canned animations (ie: if puck is going high blocker side, play animation number seventeen! ; instead it should be if puck is going high blocker side and goalie has line of sight on the puck, move arm up in attempt to block puck in time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
It's not really an excuse, it's just gotten to the point where I don't think we can expect any different, which is sad. It does make me wonder whether we'll perhaps see a big leap sometime in a couple years when they finally stop making this a cross-gen series, or if we'll potentially be waiting until PS5.
Oh god, please don't make us wait for NEXT gen for an overhaul of the core engine (NHL 2024 anyone?) Isn't that what the "ignite" engine is supposed to be?

Does NHL 15 use the Ignite engine or not? or is it not a total overhaul like I'm hoping? cheers.

Last edited by akula; 07-16-2014 at 12:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »