Home

NHL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - True Hockey Physics

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - True Hockey Physics within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 15 Trailer - True Hockey Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
as exciting as this SEEMS at first glance, do we not basically hear the same thing year after year and see the results are underwhelming? I am hoping the puck physics are closer to the 2k series as well which was much more "organic". Hoping the player collisions without hits (Incidental contact) is realistic but not overblown/over the top.
lol exactly. Main reason I'm no longer caring that much about the hype for any game until I actually see not only regular people reviews of it,but play it for myself as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7

from facebook RE: pucks jumping over sticks: "this will be used as another "corrective" feature for when the game doesn't want you to score"

I hope to hell this isn't the case but wouldn't put it past EA. Imagine the game thinks you are running the score up to high and pucks start bouncing over sticks all over the place..
Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
from facebook RE: pucks jumping over sticks: "this will be used as another "corrective" feature for when the game doesn't want you to score"

I hope to hell this isn't the case but wouldn't put it past EA. Imagine the game thinks you are running the score up to high and pucks start bouncing over sticks all over the place..

I doubt it will be, People give EA too much credit when they lose and not enough when they win. You mean the same people that can't code AI to do something different can code exactly when a puck is going to jump over a stick? I doubt it. I'm as frustrated as anyone with this series, but sports games need things like this because it does mimic real life.

As far as the trailer goes, it is the best one yet. I'm interested in the game now. I've come to accept that goalies are going to be bad and movements bad, but if we can score realistic goals I'd be happy. I've been playing this series for so long that I always shoot top shelf because it goes in 75% more than anywhere else on the goalie. Hits are always going to be weird, especially in the first year of this cycle, but hitting is one area the sliders actually work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Rookie

peter21's Arena

OVR: 1

It looks really shiny and nice, but I'll wait to see/hear users thoughts on the gameplay, physics and AI.

Marketing hype is a wonderful thing, but the real test is how the game holds up after the first week or so.

Goalies never seem to get any love in this game. I think playing goalie could be a real exciting feature, either through BAP or online, but there's so many limitations to it right now. And last year, the howls of complaints from glitchers who couldn't score because of desperation saves was pretty entertaining, to be honest. EA must always feel they have to cater to the offense. Goalies and defensemen get such short shrift, and that's a shame.

I like to play D, and I can appreciate a player who is really good at the position, because the game is stacked against you!

I hope NHL15 will be good, but at this stage, I will remain skeptical because the last two versions, while not horrible, did not justify their price tag.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 15: True Hockey Physics Trailer

These new physics look great so far (I still want to see them in actual gameplay, not a "check out this cool stuff" trailer).

I just hope they address that dropping to a knee animation from contact. It's kind of frustrating having your player deke around 2 defenders and have them collide just to have them both bump, drop to a knee, then stand back up.

Everything looked pretty great though. It will definitely be nice to get a breakaway when the puck bumps over a players stick on the powerplay...that said, i don't know that my controller can handle it when it happens against me.

Quote:

I've never bought that stuff that EA has something to balance the game. It's just random. I've never felt like the game was forcing me to miss based on situations or predetermined scenarios.
I've had games where no matter what i did the puck wouldn't go in, and the other team could hardly get shots on net, and they still won, but that's real hockey some nights.

I think all of that "ice balancing" talk is just people connecting dots they've drawn themselves. I think it's truly random, just like i imagine puck bouncing will be. It would be nice if the game somehow kept track of where players skated most, or how late in the period it was, but that might be expecting a bit much.

Last edited by actionhank; 07-16-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

It is what is programmed to happen now in the game if your team has taken too many big hits. The momentum is programmed into the game so that your team will become rattled and a pass that should easily be handled bouncing off of or over your stick is one of the common results. Lazy programming if you ask me. How about learning to play defense properly to break up a pass or scoring chance and not having to rely on selling out to crush someone, with or without the puck, and then getting rewarded from taking yourself out of position because the other team is "rattled".

When my skilled teams played teams like this we loved it in real life. Make that extra pass or chip it past someone and you are off to the races. If you want to see someone get rattled, watch as their goalie gets lit up from countless odd man breaks and a devastating power play that is on the ice every other shift as a result of their undisciplined game. According to EA and what they think works in the NHL, the Flyers should have won every cup since 1975.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

OVR: 0

I enjoyed this for what it is, and I think the game is coming along nicely, though surely someone will materialize shortly to tell me why I'm an idiotic shill for EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1
"Thanks to the new consoles..." or "if you dont have a new console your s**t out of luck"

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »