Home

Madden NFL 15 Blog & Screenshots - Tackling Mechanic

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Blog & Screenshots - Tackling Mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 15 Blog & Screenshots - Tackling Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlw322
I would have to say I disagree, the problem with that is now the CPU has to match tackles base in animation and we all know how repetitive that can get with madden. It takes the physic out at least on the 1st tackler engaged. It also creates warping when the CPU can't match the angle with the right animation. At the end of the day I don't want animation to determine my tackle I want real life physic. That's what the community wanted like the last 8 years and now that we are bored with the physic engine lets bring back the animation base tackle.

It's like a guy that said that madden 08 is the best game ever because they are sick of playing the new game. When this Same guy b$it$& to no end about madden 08 the year it came out.

I just think it's backwards, instead of fixing the issue by reverting back to animation. Why not advance on infinity engine by creating dive and reach animation that would actually effect the ball carrier to cause them to fall using physic and the great ball carrier would run through a arm tackles ( not all the time but base on physic and momentum)
It's cool we disagree and I'm trying to understand exactly what is you believe this does, opposed to what I do. Considering you think it regresses the game back to warping tackles , whereas I just see it as allowing for the defender to automatically pursuit and transition into a tackle attempt, according to their proximity to the ball carrier. To be clear, I have no idea if this will work as advertised but going by the few tackles they have shown of it, I like the concept.

In earlier Maddens, even when they had warp tackling, the ball carrier could still slide off defenders if they weren't at a proper angle to trigger a tackle animation. The way I understand this is that, unlike back then, defenders won't warp into position but the defender will automatically pursuit and attempt to tackle versus just whiffing. I'm thinking "ball hawk" for tackling, with that mechanic pass defenders don't warp, they switch to autopilot to make a play on the ball.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
"2. Inability for users to understand direction and spatial distances between defender and ball carrier, and how that affected tackling"

I read that as "We're going to take away dynamic gameplay and make more canned animation sequences to make up for the fact that the core fanbase of Madden aren't very good on the sticks."
Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm worried about the animations triggering before contact part. I'm having flash backs of my ball carrier freezing in place only to be sucked into an animation. I don't want my ball carrier to react to a tackle that has not even happened yet. I hope it's nothing like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #12
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
It's cool we disagree and I'm trying to understand exactly what is you believe this does, opposed to what I do. Considering you think it regresses the game back to warping tackles , whereas I just see it as allowing for the defender to automatically pursuit and transition into a tackle attempt, according to their proximity to the ball carrier. To be clear, I have no idea if this will work as advertised but going by the few tackles they have shown of it, I like the concept.

In earlier Maddens, even when they had warp tackling, the ball carrier could still slide off defenders if they weren't at a proper angle to trigger a tackle animation. The way I understand this is that, unlike back then, defenders won't warp into position but the defender will automatically pursuit and attempt to tackle versus just whiffing. I'm thinking "ball hawk" for tackling, with that mechanic pass defenders don't warp, they switch to autopilot to make a play on the ball.
I get where you are coming from. I just feel that they are slowly going back to what we had before physic. Each year we are losing more and more physic. Now I'm saying this base off my experience with 13 and 25 and what they are saying now. I haven't play 15 I'm just basing it on what they are saying and what Rex said in the press row podcast. He said that they had tester working out as much warping or awkward suction tackle as possible which mean we are reverting back.

I just hope that EA has enough talent to innovate not revert back to old tech splash with some infinity engine. It's next gen now time to think big.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
Banned

iloveparkmin's Arena

why does Easports alway talk about gameplay are tackling, defense, offense ? i want read full information about CFM .. they gave me bad patience
Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
"2. Inability for users to understand direction and spatial distances between defender and ball carrier, and how that affected tackling"

I read that as "We're going to take away dynamic gameplay and make more canned animation sequences to make up for the fact that the core fanbase of Madden aren't very good on the sticks."
And to that I say, so what? I want a football sim and realistic gameplay. I want to play against people and let the deciding factor be our knowledge of the game of football and not decided by who's better on the sticks. Yes, I want to control my team but if a mechanic is there to make sure I don't dive at thin air then I'm all for it. My reactions aren't as good as they were when I was in my teens and twenties but I still wanna play a good game of football. What sports game out there doesn't have these types of helper mechanics? And just like in those games, you can turn off the tackle cone and all the helpers if you so desire. Personally, I'd rather not whiff on my tackles.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Looks pretty nice to me.
August hurry up...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #16
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I didn't see any warping/suction tackles in the video or in the stream from last week, which is my main concern with this mechanic. I've always personally felt that tackling was too easy in 1 on 1 situations, unless the ball carrier is running full speed (which seems to give them more agility, oxymoronically).

I think the issue is that people just try to run full speed into the ball carrier, which rarely happens in real life. Defenders break down and square themselves up in order to wrap up. The CPU started doing this in Madden a couple of years ago, I believe. The strafe button was huge in tackling, but I don't know how many people used it. This mechanic seems to be giving leeway for those who just want to sprint into the ball carrier without worrying about missing the tackle, which shouldn't be the case.

I just hope this doesn't take away a ball carrier's ability to make someone miss without the defender screwing up.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »