Home

MLB 14 The Show: Improve Your Hitting in Four Minutes

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Improve Your Hitting in Four Minutes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
This approach....I am not hating, but it is extremely simplistic with no real thought process behind it. Plus it is on Veteran where the PCI took up half the zone lol.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Improve Your Hitting in Four Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
This approach....I am not hating, but it is extremely simplistic with no real thought process behind it. Plus it is on Veteran where the PCI took up half the zone lol.
lol it didnt work for him in his league against me in the WS
Old 07-31-2014, 03:18 AM   #19
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

The approach wouldn't work against a good human player at a higher difficulty level, but I would say it's not a bad approach to lock in on a general location (although I would still sit on pitches down the middle) until you develop pitch recognition, plate discipline, and the skill to move PCI on fly. It's certainly better than having no approach and just react to whatever is fed to you.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 AM   #20
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

I believe more in working the count and making the pitcher throw you a good pitch, but this a good method to use until you build up some confidence in recognizing pitches.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
OOTP Community Manager

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I use the same approach in my franchise which I play on Dynamic Difficulty (hitting bounces between Hall of Fame and Legend), and the strategy works just fine there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #22
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

I use a very similar approach, but I don't lock low and inside nearly as much. Instead I hold an area of the strikezone I feel the pitcher is going to attack. It could be low and inside sometimes, but as I said not as frequently as the video shows. I use the phillies. Say with someone like Ben Revere. He has high contact but no pop. A smart player is gonna give him a healthy dose of stuff up in the zone so he can hit a can of corn flyball. Well I try to get way up in the zone and hit liner instead. Locking into a zone is a good way to approach an atbat. But there should be more of an educated guess which zone to cover, instead of always picking low inside.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
I believe more in working the count and making the pitcher throw you a good pitch, but this a good method to use until you build up some confidence in recognizing pitches.
This approach can help you work the count though. It is training you to lay off pitches not in your wheelhouse even if they are strikes. My only gripe with it was how often he stayed in just one area of the zone, and how the opposing pitcher was all too willing to keep giving him the low inside pitch when that is the only thing he actually took a hack at.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
OOTP Community Manager

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I use a very similar approach, but I don't lock low and inside nearly as much. Instead I hold an area of the strikezone I feel the pitcher is going to attack. It could be low and inside sometimes, but as I said not as frequently as the video shows. I use the phillies. Say with someone like Ben Revere. He has high contact but no pop. A smart player is gonna give him a healthy dose of stuff up in the zone so he can hit a can of corn flyball. Well I try to get way up in the zone and hit liner instead. Locking into a zone is a good way to approach an atbat. But there should be more of an educated guess which zone to cover, instead of always picking low inside.
Yeah, you don't have to always lock on low and in. That just works in this league cause I think it's set to Veteran. It's more about just having a plan when you go up there. I just feel like leaving the cursor in the middle is kind of a waste because the last place a pitcher wants to throw the ball is right down the pipe.

Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »