Home

GRID Autosport Available Today - Read the Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on GRID Autosport Available Today - Read the Reviews From Around the Web within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: GRID Autosport Available Today - Read the Reviews From Around the Web

True. I gotta say, it's the first racing game I've purchased in a while that has me itching to come back to drive it some more, after already driving it for hours each night since release.

Most of the time I've wished for a balance between fun and sim. I sit down and race Forza 5 and enjoy it quite a bit. When I want to worry about weight balance changing a bit too much in a corner (with simulation steering on, at least) and really focus on car control, it's awesome. Something like iRacing on PC I can get more of the same.

For over-the-top arcade insanity, I could always choose Grid, but to this day I still have TOCA 3 installed for that delicate balance of simcade handling and fun racing. This game instantly replaced it in my rotation, because it doesn't seem to matter which discipline I run or what car I drive, it sinks its hooks into me and I'm there for hours.

And in triple screen on 3 40" monitors with global illumination and advanced lighting on--fuggetaboutit.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Still really diggin' GRID Autosport after a few days. The force-feedback with my Fanatec GT2 is easily better than GRID 1 or 2. I like the cockpit views, even if they are blurry. It's better than nothing, like we had in GRID 2. I wish there were pit stops and for more progressive damage and tire wear, but I can't deny I'm enjoying the racing and even the car handling.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm still not feeling it. I pride myself on being a clean racer , even when just racing the A.I. I wait for the opportunity to pass cleanly. In this game the A.I. seem to be bashing me all over the course. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer , so far it's been frustrating.

I guess the lesson learned for me here is to never buy two racing games at once. Moto GP 14 is so good , I think it may be ruining this one for me.

Last edited by JMD; 07-06-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 18

With my renewed interest in driving games I bought Grid AS, this game is tough even on lower difficulty and assists on.

I'm not as knowledgeable about racing in general, but I don't believe the goal is to consistently ram into another driver without penalty.

In Grid AS when I'm higher up on the grid the second the race begins every car behind me just drives through my car with reckless abandon. It's almost best to avoid the race line, but then difficult to overtake the other cars.

I will keep practicing, any tips from Grid veterans and fans?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

It's hard to put into words unless you're already familiar with racing tactics. The AI isn't so big at slamming into you as it is taking any little room you give it. If you leave half a lane under you, they're going to take it, and if you don't move up, they're going to push you up. But if you get into the corner and protect your line, they're not going to rear end you and spin you out or anything. Most of the contact I have is hard racing when we both want the same line.

You'll see something similar from them--you run up on them and move over to outbrake them, and what do they do? Move over and try to block your progress. That's the same thing you would typically do to hold your position. They will not drive right through you if you're already there, but they'll get alongside you in a heartbeat if you let them.

And the Touring Cars are the biggest "contact" series drivers, because it's like that in real life. They beat and bang off of each other constantly.

I guess if I had to give a general racing tip, it's go slower into the corner and hold your line low. They will be much easier to race against, and you'll start getting better exit speeds to overtake them on the next straight. Then you move on to the next stage of racing--learning how to set them up down the straight for the next corner.

The worst enemy you can have is getting too hot into a corner to avoid getting hit. Then you slide up the track a bit, and a train of AI cars will immediately go under you. When you try to move back down, you'll get door slammed hard, making it seem like the AI is pile driving you.

I will not go so far as to say the AI is perfect and the best thing ever, but they sure feel a hell of a lot closer to that human feeling than most games I've played.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
It's hard to put into words unless you're already familiar with racing tactics. The AI isn't so big at slamming into you as it is taking any little room you give it. If you leave half a lane under you, they're going to take it, and if you don't move up, they're going to push you up. But if you get into the corner and protect your line, they're not going to rear end you and spin you out or anything. Most of the contact I have is hard racing when we both want the same line.

You'll see something similar from them--you run up on them and move over to outbrake them, and what do they do? Move over and try to block your progress. That's the same thing you would typically do to hold your position. They will not drive right through you if you're already there, but they'll get alongside you in a heartbeat if you let them.

And the Touring Cars are the biggest "contact" series drivers, because it's like that in real life. They beat and bang off of each other constantly.

I guess if I had to give a general racing tip, it's go slower into the corner and hold your line low. They will be much easier to race against, and you'll start getting better exit speeds to overtake them on the next straight. Then you move on to the next stage of racing--learning how to set them up down the straight for the next corner.

The worst enemy you can have is getting too hot into a corner to avoid getting hit. Then you slide up the track a bit, and a train of AI cars will immediately go under you. When you try to move back down, you'll get door slammed hard, making it seem like the AI is pile driving you.

I will not go so far as to say the AI is perfect and the best thing ever, but they sure feel a hell of a lot closer to that human feeling than most games I've played.
That makes a lot of sense and I am in the Touring series of races at the moment.

As a beginner to the series would you recommend assists or no assists?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

Really personal preference. Assists will help you if you squeeze the triggers like a gorilla. But especially in the Cat C touring cars, they aren't going to kill you.

Conversely, I'd go with manual transmission as soon as you can. You learn the gearing for type of corner--3rd gear for a 90 degree, 2nd for a hairpin, 4th or 5th for sweepers, etc.--in each type of car you drive. When you learn that, you start to come to grips with how much to slow down and navigating a course makes a lot more sense.

With auto tranny you're just taking a guess at the speed you're hitting, whereas you know where you're at if you drop it down to 3rd yourself.

So almost everything else is personal preference, but manual tranny is highly recommended.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Really personal preference. Assists will help you if you squeeze the triggers like a gorilla. But especially in the Cat C touring cars, they aren't going to kill you.

Conversely, I'd go with manual transmission as soon as you can. You learn the gearing for type of corner--3rd gear for a 90 degree, 2nd for a hairpin, 4th or 5th for sweepers, etc.--in each type of car you drive. When you learn that, you start to come to grips with how much to slow down and navigating a course makes a lot more sense.

With auto tranny you're just taking a guess at the speed you're hitting, whereas you know where you're at if you drop it down to 3rd yourself.

So almost everything else is personal preference, but manual tranny is highly recommended.
I will first work on driving with me minimal assistance and then learn manual.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »