Home

Pure Pool Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on Pure Pool Review (PS4) within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Pure Pool Review (PS4)

As its plain title implies, Pure Pool contains no fancy trick competitions, no goofy avatars, no shot-power indicator and no cheating overhead camera to let players perfectly align hit after hit. At all times, your view remains realistically limited to a first-person perspective, and while players can stand up on their tiptoes, or even walk around the table by holding the square button, a lot of guesswork is required when lining up successful shots.

Unless, of course, you choose to play on the lowest difficulty setting, “Amateur,” which makes full path predictors visible -- both for the blank cue ball and for the numbered balls you're targeting. On “Pro” and “Master” difficulties, though, your own eyesight and angle judgment are the only tools you'll have for predicting ball collisions, as the spoilerific trajectory arrows become significantly shortened, making long-distance and sharp-angled shots a true test of skill. Escaping cue ball traps and sinking tricky side-pocket shots feels extremely satisfying on these settings, just as missing easy tap-in opportunities will have you shaking your fists and screaming curse words at the screen.

Read More - Pure Pool Review (PS4)
Platform: PC / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I think its a fantastic game. £6 for what is a solid pool title. I will be interested to see what Pool Nation has to offer. Its nice to get a game without all the 'bells and whistles'. Right now, it plays a solid game of pool. It would be nice to be able to play local two player with two profiles though as the second player can't earn any levels playing as the 'guest player'. Overall a really solid game. Stability issues will be fixed I'm sure.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2
I think its a great game as well. It's pool, and its plays a solid game of it. Only thing that I would like to see is the ability to calibrate the speed or rate of your stick. And if there was an actual character holding the stick it would add to the ambiance but totally necessary. Connectivity and trying to play online is a complete nightmare but if they fix that it will be a game i pick up and play for years to come.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
i love it played it alot more than i thought i would already
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

I think this is a bit harsh. It's bare-bones and has a few hitches (seriously, why can't I disable the worthless HUD?), but it's only $9-12 bucks,. I've really enjoyed the game, even with the nearly infallible AI opponents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Just started!

I agree with the reviewer. Yeah, it's cheap...but so was Hustle Kings. And that title, from the same developer I might add, had a vastly greater amount of features. Even though some might find Pure Pool a realistic yet casual pool sim, I found the table to be way too slow...especially off of the rails. Online play, which is the main reason I bought it, is essentially broken at the moment. Don't be fooled. If you are getting into an online match, it may be an a.i. DNA. I know this because I uninstalled the game two days after release and my ps4 message box overflowed with notes from people I never played. After countless requests, Voo Foo deleted my player profile and the messages finally stopped rolling in. Check out their facebook page. They finally acknowledged this issue publicly. When it's fixed, the game might have some value. In the meantime, I'll stick with Virtual Pool 4. Not as pretty, but superior in every other way.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
6? Cmon man.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
I really enjoy the game. Definitely think people are being too hard on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »