Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 1
New Shot Meter

Thanks for the in depth, Beluba. I admit I'm still a bit wary-- my ideal is for even extremely skilled players to be able to hit only NBA averages taking NBA quality shots, and I think philosophically and as a basketball nerd, I prefer user timing to be a smaller piece of the pie than good basketball sense. And I like the regularity of bricked open shots and praying for them from the opposing team. Now if the new system just gives some "illusion" of control and while it requires skill to execute, still doesn't mean you can shoot unrealistically well and leads to realistic percentages distribution of hits and misses, I can appreciate something like that.

I guess I'll have to try it and see how it feels, but I do have to confess that I don't actually like the idea of the shooting system being like the FT system. I wasn't a fan of how user timing allows you to game and time free throw shooting animations with bad shooters. It's one area that sometimes feels a little "cheap" and simplistic, and I was often glad that it was a small part of the total gameplay.

I got pretty decent with Biedrins a few years back when he was shooting like 25% from the line. Now I'm still pretty erratic with Iguodala and it actual plays out pretty well and realistically there, but I keep feeling like I could game his and Bogut's free throws if I really wanted to put a little time in.

Good that player % is still in but I'd love for an option for something a little closer to what we have now if we're not feeling the new system.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30
Re: New Shot Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxyCougar
I'm curious to know whether this new shot meter will be on the last-gen version of the games as well.
Yes it will
Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers99_58_36
... Winning or playing well should only be a result of how good you are on the sticks and buttons, not luck.
Well, I hope strategy and playing good basketball (running plays, controling the tempo, etc.) are factors as important as the sticks/buttons skills...

I think this change in the shot meter could be possitive as long as the impact of the defense is good enough, great defense should allow you to keep 'NBA realistic' percentages at least. I also hope it will take into account the quality of the shooter and the kind of shot (and hot zones), for instance, to drill a post fadeaway with Dirk should be much easier than doing it with DH12...

And I would like to see this new feature to work also with post shots, and layups, not only with jumpers. Talking about the post game, I feel perhaps it has been I little bit overlooked in the last iterations of NBA 2k, one thing I hate of 2k14 next-gen is that it is a waste of time to master the post game as many times it is much more effective a simple layup than a well executed hook or post move...

Cheers! ;-)

Last edited by Guard-ian; 08-15-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Thanks for the information. That solidifies my decision to exclusively use the Real Player % as I don't want it to be a battle of who can master the shot of a terribly rated player who has an easy release to master.

I'd prefer the player attributes be the #1 factor in my game.

This is going to be amazing for the guys who really enjoy the "competition" side of things and are all about stick skills. They'll be able to craft their skills and have more control over their success which is ideal for that crowd.

Best of both worlds.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

So a contested, off balance jumper on HOF is gonna be extremely difficult to make. Sounds perfect to me. Plays are actually going to have to work harder for open looks (running plays). This coupled with the new Shot Fatigue i seen Mike tweet about is really gonna minimize a lot of cheese.

I can't wait to get these new features in a sim league, should make for some challenging and competitive games.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof

Last edited by quehouston; 08-15-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
Pro

kolanji's Arena

OVR: 19

Hey Beluba... appreciate the post.....I really do... but I have 2 quick question

1. Is the meter present during FT?
2. Does fatigue affects timing on the meter?

Last edited by kolanji; 08-18-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 14

So Beluba if you could clarify... Is the ability to get perfect timing tied at all to shooting rating, or is it solely a matter of mastering a persons shot animation?

In other words, is there more 'grace' with the meter to be able to achieve a perfect shot with say a Step Curry than there is for a Kendrick Perkins?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
So Beluba if you could clarify... Is the ability to get perfect timing tied at all to shooting rating, or is it solely a matter of mastering a persons shot animation?

In other words, is there more 'grace' with the meter to be able to achieve a perfect shot with say a Step Curry than there is for a Kendrick Perkins?
I think it might be that if a player has better rating and an open shot, the window in which the shot has a good chance to go in is larger. So you still get punished for using players in ways that their attributes don't support.

Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »