Home

NHL 15 Gameplay Video - Los Angeles Kings vs. New York Rangers (Shaky-Cam)

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Gameplay Video - Los Angeles Kings vs. New York Rangers (Shaky-Cam) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 15 Gameplay Video - Los Angeles Kings vs. New York Rangers (Shaky-Cam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
To be honest, nobody should expect a huge leap in terms of general gameplay.
EA hockey has been similar since it's inception. It's still north-south hockey at it's core.

That's not a bad thing. I've enjoyed a lot of EA's hockey titles for many years now.
But nobody should suddenly expect a different vibe or flavour to this game.

For me, I think where the game can be different or improved is in an extra layer of sloppiness. And I saw that in this video. Despite it being on default sliders and probably a lower difficulty, there were lots of loose pucks, pass interceptions, missed one-timers, etc.

It's amazing how much different/better NHL14 feels using the revamped rosters.
If EA would simply apply a similar ratings scale out of the box, I think most of us would be happy.
Sums up my feelings exactly, Hank.

As I get older I remain as critical of the series as ever, but I don't dwell on things the same way, and am satisfied with how I'm able to make the game play with slider adjustments.

Yes, goalies need work, and it needs to be harder to enter the offensive zone, but I was able to get 14 to be quite sloppy. I also really enjoyed the possession game with manual passing/no assist, and knowing when to use the RT pass along the boards or RB chip the puck behind the net/along the boards both to move the puck on defense and cycle on offense waiting for a player to find a tiny window of space for a scoring chance.

One thing I'd like to see that I didn't in the video is for defenders chasing dump ins to have a harder time gaining possession of the puck. I'd like the less skilled d-men for both the the user and cpu to have the option to just use their body against the board to block off the puck instead of gain possession on their stick. Let a battle ensue with the forechecker. Would make for less back and forth counter-attacking hockey, and a sloppier game overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #26
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

OVR: 16

I am absolutely confident this game is all a marketing spin. If you are wondering how the demo plays DL the NHL 14 demo and you will have your answer. There is nothing new about this game. All the talk is hype. I for one think it is time to do away with this entire game engine and start from total scratch. New everything!! That means new everything. I have played this game since 07. The ai buffs and boosts can be traced all the way back to then. The animations and physics in 15 can be found in any of the previous games since 07. The only new thing is the commentary team and they unfortunately are not very impressive.

This is a patched NHL 14. Should I have the audacity to expect more? Too bloody right and I don'y think it is being audacious. Imagine if AC DC released one album and all the albums after were just slightly different versions of the same tracks on the first album, after the third album people would be bemused and annoyed.

We got one presentation for the entirety of last gen. One! Because the gameplay was apparently number one but the game play has been the same for years!!!

If there was no EASHL, this series would have been called out far more ferociously years ago. Give us something new or don't ask for so much money for a copy of a patched 7 year old game. Or at least stick the fashionable 'Redux' in the title like so many remakes for new gen are doing.

Last edited by 18 eighty 5; 08-18-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0
Ya I had this prepaid but I'm not optimistic about the game now.. It looks like only thing added was a fresh coat of paint .. New commentary and presentation. I'll see how demo goes and may change pre order.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 15

These gameplay videos are a real disappointment, we were expecting a whole new game for this generation, instead it looks like 14 ported to PS4/XB1 with one year delay.Where's the new puck physics(do we need a swiss scientist to achieve that kind of physics)? Has the neutral zone got some attention in develpment or it still is an up-down-up rush?

And by the way, where's the broadcast cam?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 eighty 5
I am absolutely confident this game is all a marketing spin. If you are wondering how the demo plays DL the NHL 14 demo and you will have your answer. There is nothing new about this game. All the talk is hype. I for one think it is time to do away with this entire game engine and start from total scratch. New everything!! That means new everything. I have played this game since 07. The ai buffs and boosts can be traced all the way back to then. The animations and physics in 15 can be found in any of the previous games since 07. The only new thing is the commentary team and they unfortunately are not very impressive.

This is a patched NHL 14. Should I have the audacity to expect more? Too bloody right and I don'y think it is being audacious. Imagine if AC DC released one album and all the albums after were just slightly different versions of the same tracks on the first album, after the third album people would be bemused and annoyed.

We got one presentation for the entirety of last gen. One! Because the gameplay was apparently number one but the game play has been the same for years!!!

If there was no EASHL, this series would have been called out far more ferociously years ago. Give us something new or don't ask for so much money for a copy of a patched 7 year old game. Or at least stick the fashionable 'Redux' in the title like so many remakes for new gen are doing.
Wait...so you're saying every AC/DC song DOESN'T sound the same?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #30
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 eighty 5

I was kind of at the point where i was planning to get a PS4 in October just to get this game, but since seeing the gameplay videos, i'm probably going to hold off for a while. It just doesn't look like they've changed anything that i was really wanting to see changed. And, i know they can't come out and say it, but it would be nice if they could, and just say "Look, graphics and presentation were our big focus this year, and since we're still having to support the older generation of consoles, we aren't currently able to give the physics and the engine overhaul we would like, and know everyone would like. But, for NHL16, we're planning a complete overhaul and everything will be pretty much brand new."
If i knew that's what was happening, i could be more forgiving, but it's the same thing we heard all through NHL08-14. Yeah, the game has definitely improved. The skating has gotten better, and goalies have gotten a bit better, but so much still stays stagnant. Sliders haven't done much of anything to affect the gameplay much, in my opinion.
It seems even when there is a small improvement, it has something that sets it back. There was supposed to be bigger differences between how teams played in 14, and what certain players would do, but i never noticed it. What i did notice was the super-bounce puck that i don't remember being in the game to begin with, but never got patched out. Those small things are all frustrating. And when you combine that with the lack of love for Be A GM, it just gets more frustrating.
I'll wait and see what others say when 15 hits the shelves, but these videos aren't doing much to convince me that it's anything but NHL 14 with some sweet new graphics (Which admittedly look great) and revamped audio (Which i also thought sounded pretty good.)

Last edited by actionhank; 08-18-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #31
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

EA needs to hire new animators. Why is it everyone of their sports games have these horrid rigid and stiff animations? Doesn't even matter the game; madden, nba, nhl, all plagued by this. They seem to ignore weight and physics and just robot around. I definitely can tell I am playing a game and it kills any immersion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #32
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
Not a huge hockey fan by any means, but I'm considering picking this game up because of the presentation alone

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »