Home

The Medium is the Message: EASHL, Transparency, and the Core Gamer

This is a discussion on The Medium is the Message: EASHL, Transparency, and the Core Gamer within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Medium is the Message: EASHL, Transparency, and the Core Gamer

As of this writing, fans of EA's NHL franchise don't know what's going on with several of the popular modes in the upcoming Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game. And in some ways, it now doesn't matter. To be sure, people would like to see EASHL, OTP, GM Connected and everything else “in the game,” as EA likes to say, but in terms of messaging and transparency, the damage has been done. A failure of communication has led to a good number of faithful fans feeling alienated or taken for granted. The stereotype of a company that's ardently pro-business marches on.

Read More - The Medium is the Message: EASHL, Transparency, and the Core Gamer
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Rookie

Gotmilkman24's Arena

OVR: 0
Well written.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The Medium is the Message: EASHL, Transparency, and the Core Gamer

Finally someone in a position of higher visibility called this out.

Nice job on the article.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
Great read, it's become frustrating for gamers in general now that we rely on twitter/facebook for updates. If you want to follow your favorite game it seems like social media is required. It seems like games are relying less and less on their own website and using third party websites to provide info. When was the last time 2K announced something new on their website rather than use twitter, facebook, or even this site. nba2k.com and 2ksports.com have seemed pretty worthless lately.

Then the people who control the twitter and facebook accounts only seem to RT, pass you to a non working tech support account. It's impossible to get answers nowadays and everything is answered with " We will let the devs know".
Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Rookie

This is a great article. I was pumped for nhl and am still getting it but you hit it spot on about creating a disconnect with your fan base. I would love eashl to be in nhl 15 but what I would love more is some communication. Say that's it's not in the game! I just want to know and then tell me the other reasons I should get the game, but going completly silent is worse then announcing bad news. Maybe there going with "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". Well now we think you have nothing good at all and we know that's not true, start speaking EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Pro

Dino's Arena

OVR: 6
Great article. spot on. Hope EA Sports reads this because we are fired up.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Rookie

willz1985's Arena

OVR: 3
The main thing here, like most people have said is the lack of communication....

Surely with 2/3 weeks to release they know what is/isn't in the game at this point. Can only assume it's because they fear the loss of Pre-orders/launch purchases, which in itself isn't a good enough excuse because people will find out what's in the game before they hand over money.

I'm in no way a hardcore hockey fan, I like the sport and keep up with it as much as I can, but not my #1. The main reason I've kept this up is because NHL is arguably one of, if not the best sports game franchise out there every year..

Cant help but feel with the collapse of 2K's hockey games' demise they've took the foot out off the peddle, ironically much like 2K did with NBA
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Rookie

Extremely well written article. And spot on imo.

The sports genre is the only one I can think of that seems to be going in a backwards direction -- with a few exceptions from smaller studios like HB Studio's Golf Club -- in that the industry is moving more and more towards openness, transparency, and customization. However, the major sports Publishers are becoming increasing closed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »