Home

The Golf Club Review (PC/XB1)

This is a discussion on The Golf Club Review (PC/XB1) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Rookie

alangst's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Golf Club Review (PC/XB1)

I realize there isn't any "progression" with your golfer, but how is the stat tracking? For each course (even the created ones), does it keep track of your best scores, number of birdies, longest drive.etc.. If it could someway keep track of your individual handicap (like real golf) this would be a must-buy.

I'm just hoping for someway to keep track of my progress and see improvement.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I can't wait to get home shoot 5-6 over and love every minute of it. What irked me about the tiger woods series is that 12 under was a BAD round on most courses, even on higher difficulties. I want there to be a marked difference between difficult courses and easy courses. Then I can't wait to dive in and create my own courses and just let my imagination run wild. A par 5 with an Island green that would be very difficult to stick in 2, making the smart play to lay up, but not impossible if the aggressive player wants to give it a go. I can make that if I want to, and I will, amongst anything else my mind can conjure up.
this^^^

outside of the course creator which I would say $25 of my money is towards(in my own mind because that is what really really makes me excited), the other big thing that makes me happy is that this game is your skill against the course design.

not your skill plus Taylor Made Driver buff, Nike polo buff, footjoy glove buff, nike shoe buff, etc so those bunkers pinching the fairway at 300 yards haven't been in play since about 4 days after you bought the game... if I want you to have to deal with bunkers if you go aggressive then you are going to have to deal with bunkers if you play aggressive... or like you said, lay up and have to club up your approach shot but you landed safely in the fairway.

this makes me very excited, nothing was fun about playing on a licensed version of Pebble Beach when 75% of the course design was lost because my created avatar had grown so powerful that I could just outmuscle the course. heck even with the real golfers, you ended up never having to worry about 60% of the course.

mine is downloading while I'm at work, I can't wait to jump into a cleanslate golf course and start on hole 1 this afternoon.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
haha I had a feeling watching twitch it was Canadian East Coast developer since the "john" commentator guy has hints of that unmistakeable accent.

Game looks good, it would be a no-brainer if a few of my friends had it. I wish there were different clubs even if they are invented and attributes to make golfers unique even if they were subtle.

The poster asking the stats I would like to know too if they offer anything at all in that dept.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

Okay the course difficultly truly matters in scoring. I played a Great Lake Resort course (which was labeled as medium I believe). Beautiful course, much better graphically than the first one I played.

I jumped in & was playing with 3 ghost opponents. After 8 or 9 holes we were all in the +4 to +6 range, maybe 2 birdies amongst all four players. Then my game went to total hell on the back 9. I landed in the water 3 or 4 times, and was shooting an outstanding +14 through 15 when my connection was lost (unfortunately it booted me to the main menu & it appears my round was just lost). Not sure what happened, as my internet connection never dropped, must have been on the server side.

Then I decided to try my hand an an official EASY course, the Yuma Desert one. I started with two straight birdies, but ended up finishing +2. Totally different type of course, you could attack you tee shots aggressively, with little penalty. The challenge came in being able to stick the hard greens, I blew through 5 or 6 greens on 100-150ish type approach shots. I also continue to screw up my chip shots, leaving the ball short of the green, only to turn around & nearly hole the next chip shot.

This game is truly great, I have no doubt that I'll play it for hours upon hours. Its beauty is in it's simplicity, no fancy announcers or overlays or sponsors being shoved down your throat. I'll sit back, crack a beer, but on some music & play round after round on these incredible courses.

Another fantastic aspect is the fact that all users are on the same level. Some guy who can play for 10 hours a day & buy all the upgrades and hit the ball 30% longer doesn't exist. I have an equal opportunity to pickup the game & play on the exact same playing field as the best player. This actually feels like a simulation of me playing a round with my mates, playing bogey golf & having an absolute blast.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
MVP

weeeeeeez's Arena

OVR: 3

Not sure if I missed something but is there no way to aim your shot in the preview camera ?
Chelsea FC
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
PC Review, will you be reviewing for Xboxone and PS4? After reading this review man Im pumped for this on PS4
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeeeeeez
Not sure if I missed something but is there no way to aim your shot in the preview camera ?
Correct. You have to aim your shot from the default camera behind the golfer.

Goes back to HB's vision for this game - trying to make it a more true-to-life experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm all for that. You don't know where you're hitting the ball. Have to figure it out like a real golfer would.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »