Home

Super Mega Baseball is Coming to PS3 and PS4

This is a discussion on Super Mega Baseball is Coming to PS3 and PS4 within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Super Mega Baseball is Coming to PS3 and PS4

There's a new baseball game coming to town by the name of Super Mega Baseball. Super Mega Baseball promises to bring a fresh and fun new experience for PlayStation gamers, with a graphical style that's a bit over the top -- but with quite realistic baseball on the field.

Created by Metalhead Software, the game seeks to begin to fill the void left by big publishers who vacated the non-licensed but more lighthearted area within world of sports video games.

In a blog on PlayStation.com, co-founder of Metalhead Studios Scott Drader said this about the vision behind the game, "I’ll acknowledge that there’s some nostalgia in my words. The reality is that games have improved, and so have expectations. There are reasons we see fewer sports games now. There are reasons that indie developers haven’t penetrated the sports genre in the same way they have other genres. I could talk all day about how these things came to be, but let’s just say that we decided it was absolutely necessary that we make a new couch-coop/competitive baseball game."

Here are some relevant details on the game:
  • 2-4 player couch co-op/competitive: This can be head-to-head, 2v1, 2v2, or co-op vs the CPU. When you’ve got a teammate, you’ll be alternating batting/running each at-bat, and alternating pitching/fielding each inning. This means everyone’s involved and you’ll have to be on your toes. There’s per-user, sliding difficulty settings, meaning you’ll be able to easily setup a close game between friends of any skill levels.
  • Ultra responsive, blazing fast gameplay: In a nutshell, you’re going to spend most of your time telling your players what to do. All the cinematic stuff is skippable and you’ll be able to cut through 9-innings in 20 minutes. The basic controls are ultra-easy to learn, but you’ll need to master jumping, diving, wall-catches, power-swings, and cut-off plays to properly dominate your friends.
  • Full batting/pitching stats: There’s not much to say here other than that the information you expect to see is all there.
  • Realistic simulation and physics: Don’t be fooled by the light-hearted/comical presentation; the fundamentals of the sport of baseball are here.
  • Leveling System: You’ll tally up Starpoints for hits/strikeouts/catches during each game, Level Up once you have enough, and then hire staff to train and coach your players, boosting their abilities. Use that jacked up team to win at higher difficulties (and post higher leaderboard scores than your friends!).
  • Team customizations: Customize the look of your squad to your hearts delight. You can make as many aesthetic adjustments as you want. Laaaaadies… are in the house (and the game).
If you can't see the video above, click here. Also, check out the screenshots we posted of the game. Super Mega Baseball is scheduled for a fall 2014 release.

Platform: PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
If there was ever a game made like Baseball Stars from the Nintendo days I would buy it in a heart beat. That what I was hoping this game would be, but sounds like its not since it dont seem to have a season mode.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
If there was ever a game made like Baseball Stars from the Nintendo days I would buy it in a heart beat. That what I was hoping this game would be, but sounds like its not since it dont seem to have a season mode.
It said co-op season mode in the video
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Super Mega Baseball is Coming to PS3 and PS4

wonder if similar to RBI with no online mode and appears that way
Old 09-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
This looks like it will be a lot of fun for my kid (who plays The Show BTW) in that he can customize his team and name the players etc after his travel team. We would have fun with this.

Looks a like a holiday buy for my household.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
This looks like it will be a lot of fun for my kid (who plays The Show BTW) in that he can customize his team and name the players etc after his travel team. We would have fun with this.

Looks a like a holiday buy for my household.
It's a good point. My kid might like it as well. It seems that there's no accessible games anymore for kids like when we were growing up. Games that taught the sport and made kids into fans. No one is interested anymore in building a brand. The focus is completely short term. I fear that these companies are going to miss out on the next generation of kids. They'll have no connection to the sport.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Super Mega Baseball is Coming to PS3 and PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Wish I still had interest in arcade sports games. Baseball Stars was absolutely fantastic. Hook up a second controller, two player mode, use one team and bean the other team, score 10 runs, game called, load up on cash and build up your team.

The only major issue was trying to successfully turn off the game. Hold the reset button down, press the power button, and release both at the same time. Otherwise, all your data gets completely wiped out.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Rookie

I like the concept, this type of game is needed, but no solo play ? At my age I don't have a lot of friends over to play video games. Guess I'll pass.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »