Home

Will NHL Recover From a Down Year? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on Will NHL Recover From a Down Year? (Roundtable) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Will NHL Recover From a Down Year? (Roundtable)

NHL 15 hasn't had the smoothest year up to this point.

Many reviews, including our own, gave the game very pedestrian scores. Of course, critic scoring of game titles is only one aspects of the post-release launch. Many fans have been quite unhappy with the game and its direction on our forums as well.

But yet in all of the pessimism there is a glimmer of hope. The gameplay within the new-gen version is actually rather good, and the presentation took giant leaps forward this year. So while this year's game was missing a lot of modes, there is still reason for hope with the future of the franchise.

So with all of that said, can NHL recover from this year's debacle and regain its status as one of the premiere titles in our genre?

Read More - Will NHL Recover From a Down Year? (Roundtable)
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
MVP

Nickflyers's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Will NHL Recover From a Down Year? (Roundtable)

If they can get the BAGM/BAP up to say the NBA2k15 standard, properly implement EASHL and improve the AI, defense capabilities and revamp the goalies. Yes they can.

Problem is that they alienated a lot of their hardcore fans by basically keeping their mouths shut after the Early Access sh+storm that occurred. If thy had come out and said there is going to be a lack of depth or he'll even delay it a bit the backlash would have been less severe. Sean and the crew need to communicate with the fans more and actually listen to our inputs.

To recover they will need to make the necessary improvements and blow those fans that did not buy 15 out of the water.

Twitch

YouTube Channel
Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

Not here, ea nhl was the only ea sports game that I still would leave the door open to purchase new (depending on reviews of course, and admittedly has been awhile since I had purchased new) but not anymore.
After this disgusting debacle, I won't be buying ANY ea sports games new ever. Strictly used and at this rate apparently that won't be happening much either.
Now that certainly doesn't mean they can't recover. Imo I think they probably will, I mean look how many ppl bought the game at full price in the shape it's in now. While I do think that recovery certainly is possible, it's not for me.
One of the worst companies around in my opinion!!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Rookie

Well for this gamer...

This is the first EA NHL game I've bought since NHL 1997 on Sega Genesis. I've hated the game play,
controls, graphics etc every year since then. For the last 17 years I give it a try and always hated it.

Kudos to EA for finally making an enjoyable NHL game for once absolutely love it on next gen. I don't
care about the modes that are missing and I'm sure they'll be back soon anyways.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9
Say what you will about the missing modes. I am loving this game and cant stop playing. The gameplay is awesome and just pure fun
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDinTDOT
Well for this gamer...

This is the first EA NHL game I've bought since NHL 1997 on Sega Genesis. I've hated the game play,
controls, graphics etc every year since then. For the last 17 years I give it a try and always hated it.

Kudos to EA for finally making an enjoyable NHL game for once absolutely love it on next gen. I don't
care about the modes that are missing and I'm sure they'll be back soon anyways.
What about the missing defensive AI mode? I get that you do not care that EA screws other people over but some people do care.

I hope they do not recover actually. I hope they lose the series, be it by not making enough money or people deciding they have had enough and not buying....whatever, I hope they do not continue doing NHL games and I hope some one takes their place. They cannot do any worse.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Rookie

1 of two things will happen.

1) They realise the error of their ways, look at ways of fine tuning the gameplay for next year whilst reincorporating the modes that are loved ever so. They launch next year with little to no problems or at least nothing that can't be fixed straight away with a patch in the first couple months, everyone comes back. Happy days.

2) Competition, 2K or even possibly SCE sense an opportunity to gain a franchise. The SCE route is a particularly interesting route for future Hockey games. The work they did with MLB: The Show has revitalised baseball gaming and I know was even purchased by people in the UK on next gen who don't have the first clue about what is going on in the game.

If Sony are smart then they should be watching this situation very intently, the chance for them to make a game for a dedicated fan base while possibly shifting some more of their consoles has to be one that appeals to them.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobzilla
1 of two things will happen.

1) They realise the error of their ways, look at ways of fine tuning the gameplay for next year whilst reincorporating the modes that are loved ever so. They launch next year with little to no problems or at least nothing that can't be fixed straight away with a patch in the first couple months, everyone comes back. Happy days.

2) Competition, 2K or even possibly SCE sense an opportunity to gain a franchise. The SCE route is a particularly interesting route for future Hockey games. The work they did with MLB: The Show has revitalised baseball gaming and I know was even purchased by people in the UK on next gen who don't have the first clue about what is going on in the game.

If Sony are smart then they should be watching this situation very intently, the chance for them to make a game for a dedicated fan base while possibly shifting some more of their consoles has to be one that appeals to them.
Well the chances of number 1 happen are slim to none.
Number 2, that would be sweet!! Be it SCEA or even 2k, with a new team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »