Home

The Golf Club Update Shows How Companies Should Improve Their Games Post-Release

This is a discussion on The Golf Club Update Shows How Companies Should Improve Their Games Post-Release within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Trust me, you're not the first person to post that thought, it is very common.

The problem is that it isn't possible with sports games licensed by their respective leagues. They are contractually bound to release a game each year.

TGC is in a fantastic position since they are not bound by that.
Most def, and TGC model, (I'm not trying to pump, or push my ideas) is one that I've been harking on. Anyway good for TGC. I support creativity. I hope they grow and show the rest of thw industry that you do not need licenses in order to sell well, please your consumers, and put out a great product.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
Hopefully there is enough motivation for TGC to continue to build on what they have. They in theory could change the model that would be mutually beneficial to them and their customers. Because let's face it, we've been getting ripped off for years by EA and 2K because we're essentially buying the same game every year (with minor "patch like" tweaks). If you take the brick and mortar retailer out of the equation and transfer those cost savings to the customer the developer and the consumer win. So what if WalMart or Gamestop don't get their cut. I can picture a model where you pay a reasonable "upgrade" fee annually (if you so choose) if the upgrades warrant the purchase. At the end of the day it's my opinion that the annual sports game release doesn't have $60 worth of value over the previous years edition. Particularly after this current wave of games that as I mentioned earlier are pretty damn good.
No bs, i posted a blog last week. Im not sure if this is a good ole boys club, or if cats really want a good product. The only way we will ever get what we want is to resist. Period. OS at times seems like they are in the pocket. No disrespect but for real. If me and so many others are pleading for a customized football, basketball, etc games, why isnt OS using the platform and voice they have to see this through? The traffix alone to this site shows the strength of the buying base. So what is the position of OS?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
Fully customizable games aren't realistic because they will never be profitable in the long run. They may be a hit on OS, but you have to keep in mind the people that are on this site. This site is dominated by people who, like The Show for example, take a few months to redo rosters, test slilders, etc. This is probably 1% of the audience, at most.

This model may be better for a sport like golf because golf isn't very popular. Especially with the recent irrelevance of Tiger, no one cares about the sport. That is why you hardly noticed that EA didn't release a game last year. For the NFL, some people would buy a customizable game just to stick it to EA. For the vast majority, they just want to play with the favorite teams and players.

On the "upgrade" fee, I don't think that is a viable long term solution as well. We already see that multiple titles for a single sport can't be made for a profit. Only soccer, which has a global appeal, may be able to do it. Minor changes to games require A LOT of work. We may like to think it's simple, but the truth is, anytime you even the most minor of changes, you don't know how that will affect other aspects. I'm not saying it's not better for us, the buyer of the games, but it may actually lead to worse quality due to lower game budgets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: The Golf Club Update Shows How Companies Should Improve Their Games Post-Release

Either this is the greatest patch in sports gaming history, or The Golf Club is one of the most underrated, unfairly shredded sports games in recent memory. This game is fantastic.

Everything about The Golf Club feels right. Intuitive controls, no annoying swing meters. Everything is based on flow, feel and rhythm. Gorgeous courses with a variety of challenge, fantastic ball and wind physics, realistic plays from various lies, etc.

It's quite a compliment to a game when my only complaint is lack of stat tracking, such as greens in regulation, putts, etc.

What a fantastic title. I used free MS credits to buy this game, but 90 holes of play already have shown me The Golf Club is worth every penny of $35. This is the most enjoyable, realistic console golf title I've played since Links 2003 for the original Xbox.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinnow
I guess this author forgot what EA SPORTS UFC has been doing since its launch in June. Monthly content updates with new fighters and changes based on feedback they've been getting on their forums. But, since it's EA, we only talk when they screw up.
I agree man, EA has done well as of late with adding new content and patching gameplay. That being said, I'd actually like to try this game. Graphics are nothing to write home about from what I've seen, but the game looks realistic enough, and it doesn't really have any competition.

If only they had a demo....
Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Banned

Re: The Golf Club Update Shows How Companies Should Improve Their Games Post-Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDX97
I wish there was a demo for this on PS4. I'm hesitant to pay $35 without trying it out first.

Buy it, bro!

It's worth TWICE that amount!

best game I have played!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletngrey
Buy it, bro!

It's worth TWICE that amount!

best game I have played!
If you like golf games then this is a must purchase. It will be hard to play any other golf game after playing this. My favorite game also!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
Rookie

dpc134's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob1701
If you like golf games then this is a must purchase. It will be hard to play any other golf game after playing this. My favorite game also!
I agree. A must buy for any golf fan or even anyone who likes to create stuff. The course creator is fantastic. I bought this game for Xbox 1 and PS4 only because I felt that HB deserved the extra money. I will buy another game from HB Studios anytime they develop a new game. Very impressed with their connection with the community.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »