Home

Driveclub's Online Issues, Average Gameplay a Forgettable Experience (PS4 Review)

This is a discussion on Driveclub's Online Issues, Average Gameplay a Forgettable Experience (PS4 Review) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Driveclub's Online Issues, Average Gameplay a Forgettable Experience (PS4 Review)

My first online gaming experience was playing a remote user in NFL 2K1 on my Dreamcast. In the years since, I’ve watched online gameplay go from a novelty, to alternate play modes, to the core feature of both games and consoles. Usually, it works by creating immersive, innovative and unique experiences.

But other times it doesn’t. When a game puts all of its eggs into the online basket, there’s room for a huge debacle, leaving gamers with nothing but a shell of a $60 game (see SimCity, 2013).

Driveclub isn’t quite as bad as EA’s City Builder, but inconsistent online functionality have plagued the first “serious” racing game on PS4 and left some users feeling cheated. Unfortunately, looking at just the single player options won’t inspire additional confidence.

Read More - Driveclub's Online Issues, Average Gameplay A Forgettable Experience (PS4 Review)
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Such a disappointment especially after all the delays and hype!
Old 10-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Driveclub's Online Issues, Average Gameplay a Forgettable Experience (PS4 Review)

I disagree with this review, here's a different take on the game. I am a big fan of racing games and I am really enjoying Driveclub. I'm enjoying it without even venturing into the online part of the game. The thing I like about this game is the single event mode. This mode allows me to customize the game to my liking. I can pick my car, track, choose how many A.I. I want to race against, set the laps , difficulty , and time of day. I am having some very enjoyable races.

The courses are well done and each car handles differnt from the next. The driving model (handling) I feel is very well done. Come barreling into a turn and you will hit the rail or wall, as you should. I really like how this game does not have a racing line. This forces you to learn the tracks and know your breaking points.

I've done some of the Tour mode. I currently have 132 of the possible 225 stars. I'm at level 37, club level 11 , and most if that was accomplished in the single event mode.

Also what some think are faults with the game I think are pluses. I like that I don't have to spend time tuning, changing parts, painting and so on, it's all about the driving.

The Devs have said that a replay and photo mode are on the way, and the weather effects will also be added to the game.

You will get no argument from me that the launch of this game has been nothing short of a disaster, (as far as online racing is concerned) but if you love racing games as much as I do you will see the greatness this game has to offer. I'm hoping the Devs will patch the game to allow custom private races online, if that ever happens this game would be near perfect.

Driveclub reminds me of a game I wore out on my Xbox 360, that being PGR 3. Set up a race, pick a car, and have some fun. For me it was $50.00 well spent , and I'll event be getting the season pass as well.

Last edited by JMD; 10-28-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Honestly, this is a poor review written by someone who doesnt understand the point of the game. One can argue that the launch of the game was poor, the servers were unstable, but to call the gameplay average shows a serious lack of understanding.

A quote from the review "Overall, the driving isn’t terrible, but it will take you time to get used to it. And I definitely wouldn’t put it above any other sim-style games out there". Please forgive me if I'm confused but this website is Operation Sports not Operation Sim. It's not meant to be a sim at all. It's meant to emulate PGR which it does perfectly. It's a racing game and the core of the game is excellent. The racing is good, the visuals are good, the tracks are varied, the sound is on point and the controls are tuned to perfection. Some of your concerns are valid but a game that is meant to evolve is one that is never stagnant. The only issues with online at this point pertains to the leader boards and challenges. This review has some blatantly false critiques, misses the point, and is average at best.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloser
Honestly, this is a poor review written by someone who doesnt understand the point of the game. One can argue that the launch of the game was poor, the servers were unstable, but to call the gameplay average shows a serious lack of understanding.

A quote from the review "Overall, the driving isn’t terrible, but it will take you time to get used to it. And I definitely wouldn’t put it above any other sim-style games out there". Please forgive me if I'm confused but this website is Operation Sports not Operation Sim. It's not meant to be a sim at all. It's meant to emulate PGR which it does perfectly. It's a racing game and the core of the game is excellent. The racing is good, the visuals are good, the tracks are varied, the sound is on point and the controls are tuned to perfection. Some of your concerns are valid but a game that is meant to evolve is one that is never stagnant. The only issues with online at this point pertains to the leader boards and challenges. This review has some blatantly false critiques, misses the point, and is average at best.
This review is a 5/10, would not read again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Looks like I will pass on this game.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
Rented this. Played it for about an hour. Just couldn't get into the career mode. Kind of boring to be honest. Probably the best racing game for PS4, but as a moderate fan of the genre, I'll go with other sports games for now. Let me know if Project Cars is all it's hyped to be. I hope it is.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Rookie

DKHardee's Arena

OVR: 2
I bought it. Liked it, though it wasn't anything special. 3 of my friends who I had intended to have a club with bought it and all 3 traded it back in. So.... after two days, i did too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »