Home

Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

It shouldn't surprise you that Madden NFL 15 has a penalty problem, in the sense that most penalties are just never called in the game. With the default sliders, it is highly possible you won't see a single penalty called during a game. Most OS'ers agree that more penalties would add to the game and not subtract from it.

The popular theory is that EA doesn't have penalties called in the game because the randomness of penalties would ruin the experience for the average user. From talks I've had with Madden developers past and present, there is some credence to that being the case for the lack of actual penalties in the game.

What is baffling though, is why penalty sliders can't account for more variability where you can get to a more realistic penalty count while keeping the default game as separated as possible from penalties. Next year, it would certainly benefit the game if EA Sports could deliver a set of sliders that more adequately gives users the power to create a game experience more suited to the real NFL with actual 1st and 20s being possible.

Perhaps this could be where the all-mysterious (and oft-useless) AWR rating could finally play a hand in things on a tangible level on the field?

What do you think could be done to balance the needs of casual gamers who may not want a realistic number of yellow flags being thrown with the more hardcore Madden fans who demand more realistic handling of penalties?
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Stating that the randomness of penalties is ruining the experience for average users is just a cheap excuse for EA's inability to have a proper penalty detection system in place. If it were for the average user and their experience, they could deactivate penalty calls other than obvious ones (e.g. encroachment). At least - if you put some "alibi" sliders into the game - make them do something...
Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

I could of sworn I heard something in the past about penalties being implemnted correctly in Madden 15, was wrong again.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

I'm sorry, but did "casual gamers" exist before 2005 ? Because up until the 360 & PS3 came out, which was in 2005 for the 360, they had penalties, and if casual gamers existed back then they sure didn't mind haveing penalties in the game.

Last edited by Greenblood60; 11-07-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21
It's simple. Code the sliders so they work as penalty sliders and not tied to animations. If I want a normal range of penalties, each slider should be 50. If I want more penalties, up whichever ones you want.

If I want an arcade type no penalty game because I just want to throw bombs and have fun, or compete in some online tourney (ahem)...then zero them out.

Couldn't be a more simple solution.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
I wouldn't mind if the sliders worked a little better. I think it may be difficult to find a balance in those though between making the ref call the penalty more and the penalty animation triggering more often. Either way, I'm starting to enjoy games without very many penalties even though its not technically "sim." I wish they would fix the no huddle and the defense vs the pistol and read option so teams could use those offenses more often without being considered cheesy.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Thanks for focusing on this. They need to make the penalties work. I mean come on a game without holding penalties. They had it on last gen. There is no excuse for this. Not having holding penalties is more of an issue than you would think. Very few second or 3rd and longs so it really changes the game.

Just make a global on off switch to turn off penalties for people who don't want them.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
I cant remember how many times during league games when my WR"s are ran into or blocked well past 10yds and nothing is ever called. I mean these are plain as day PI calls while watching in real time.

Oh and not to mention the horrible replay/review system, they either don't review something that should be, or wont allow a review, or they just totally get it wrong.

In a league game: guy threw a pass and the ball was never caught, it bounces off the ground, the defender catches it off the first bounce and the ref calls it a INT. No review for the play it was under 2 minutes left. Or a WR that catches the ball, takes about 5 steps in bounds, dives for the first down, and the ref on the review calls it no catch. Another is the WR who catches the ball, takes about 6 or more steps and the ball drops, and they call that a drop.. Not a fumble.

So both are issues that need addressed. The game just looks too good to be so unrealistic like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »