Home

Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 24
That's part of the drama of football!!! "Touchdown!! But there's a flag on the field. Oh no! Offensive PI! Dammit!"
Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
It's absolutely incredible to me what goes on at Tiburon. I try as hard as I can not to think very poorly of their developers, but they keep forcing me to believe otherwise. I really believe Madden is developed in the twilight zone. How hard is it to include everything the NFL allows, and give the user the option to turn anything on or off AND adjust the sensitivity? I mean, what planet are we on? It's absolutely amazing to me how a dev studio could be this inept and still be taken seriously.
I agree! It is hard to imagine why Madden is like 15-20yrs behind where they could be by now (maybe besides graphics but the rest of the game is stuck in the stone age.) There is no vision for this game when it comes to fundamentals and/or foundation work! Sometimes you can have a team full of talent but without proper leadership/coach it turns into dismay. Another problem that we can all clearly see, is the fact that the Madden dev team actually believes that the game is great every year? How can you make a great game when you have no clue what great is? Guarantee, you could take a bunch OSers an add them to the dev team for a cycle and the game would be a way better all around but hey look on the bright side, we will probably have colonies on mars b4 Madden has working penalties/sliders and i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPEdawg45
Is it fair to question the type of talent Tiburon studios has in the bullpen? Because I think they're really weak. They haven't pumped out supreme quality since 05.
I think it's fair. When you're the only company that can make football games and they regularly ship out games with legcay issues and then add new problems to it, people are going to be more critical of it.

I've bought so many of these games, both NCAA and Madden and most have been bad/mediocre imo. I still have Madden 05 on my ps2, and despite it's age it has little details that are missing in this year's game, sadly better commentary, and penalties that actually work. I wish someone from EA would let us know why they thought making penalty sliders effect some penalties and gameplay when they should be separate. It's just a mess right now, and we're left trying to figure out which slider does what.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidanything2
Penalty options and sliders for offline are fine, but I'd rather them keep it out of online. NBA 2K has implented things like bad passes and "realistic" fg% and it has completely killed any competitive feel to online play. I'd hate to be playing online, stop someone on a crucial 4th and 10 just to have a pass interference called just because the game thought it needed a penalty for realism.
Posts like this almost make me want to get out and buy NBA 2K (despite the fact I generally abhor professional basketball).

I would not be surprised if that is the attitude of many online players . . . and that is one of the prime reasons I chose to avoid it. If there were a chance that penalties (as well as bad snaps, bad throws, etc.) would affect online games significantly, I'd be more interested. I want a football sim, not just an arcade game that vaguely resembles football.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #21
Rookie

i gave up on the game and the series.. i prob wont ever buy another madden , its just not designed for hardcore NFL fans, and thats ok , but its just not my style of sim/arcade i want to play. Ever since the big switch to these last gen current gen, they have failed ...PS2 was the glory days of the series, face it guys its dieing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
Posts like this almost make me want to get out and buy NBA 2K (despite the fact I generally abhor professional basketball).

I would not be surprised if that is the attitude of many online players . . . and that is one of the prime reasons I chose to avoid it. If there were a chance that penalties (as well as bad snaps, bad throws, etc.) would affect online games significantly, I'd be more interested. I want a football sim, not just an arcade game that vaguely resembles football.
It sounds good when you say words like realistic, but it's really painfully frustrating in practice. I had a guy let me shoot threes with no one on me, and I didn't hit anymore threes then if he played real d. He would take the guy who's guarding the guy with the ball and just run him down low, leaving the guy wide open. I wound up playing the guy twice, hit 39% in one and 44% in the other. I'm guessing a real NBA team would hit closer to 70. Being a video game I would like to see it closer to 80. The only reason I didn't hit more was because the game goes out of its way to keep % realistic. How is that a good thing? What reason does he have to not play D like a donkey? As far as bad passes go, its also completely out of your control. I'm running up the middle, the guy is running up the sideline, both at a slow, controlled pace, and the pass sails out of bounds due to nothing I could control. If you have any competitive spirit, you'd see how this is a bad thing. You play a bunch of games, win some, lose some, with 80% of the decisions being about randomness and not about skill. What's the point of playing? I don't feel good when I win, I don't feel like I need to get better when I lose. I just start another and see what happens. Like a spectator.

Same thing could happen with penalties in Madden. You happen to get 8 PI calls all at crucial times, he gets 2 and he wins the game based on that. Again, how is that good, and what is the point of playing if the outcome is out of your hands? Or what if you're playing a guy, close game, 16-14, you kick a fg to win, but there's a holding call moving you out of fg range and you lose. So the game just decided the outcome for you because it hasn't called an arbitrary penalty in a while. Maybe you think that's cool because it's realistic. My vote is that it takes away the reason to play: to see who's better.

All that being said, that's just my opinion about competitive modes. I agree with everyone else saying the Tiburon team needs to step their game up. No reason to not have all the options for offline modes. Penalty on/offs, sliders, ratings sliders, ability to create/edit people in the middle of a franchise. No excuse for not having options.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #23
Banned

jfrost32's Arena

The causal gamer lol Please EA dont use that excuse. It is simple to have penalties in the game, just have an option for the "casual" gamer to turn off the penalties if they want. What happend to giving the most authentic realistic version of a sport? If the casual gamer can't except that sports are hard then thats on them for not learning the game. Same goes for your fifa title. Taking out handballs because of the casual gamer when I know most of your buyers who buy that game are die hard soccer fans.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #24
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidanything2
It sounds good when you say words like realistic, but it's really painfully frustrating in practice. I had a guy let me shoot threes with no one on me, and I didn't hit anymore threes then if he played real d. He would take the guy who's guarding the guy with the ball and just run him down low, leaving the guy wide open. I wound up playing the guy twice, hit 39% in one and 44% in the other. I'm guessing a real NBA team would hit closer to 70. Being a video game I would like to see it closer to 80. The only reason I didn't hit more was because the game goes out of its way to keep % realistic. How is that a good thing? What reason does he have to not play D like a donkey? As far as bad passes go, its also completely out of your control. I'm running up the middle, the guy is running up the sideline, both at a slow, controlled pace, and the pass sails out of bounds due to nothing I could control. If you have any competitive spirit, you'd see how this is a bad thing. You play a bunch of games, win some, lose some, with 80% of the decisions being about randomness and not about skill. What's the point of playing? I don't feel good when I win, I don't feel like I need to get better when I lose. I just start another and see what happens. Like a spectator.

Same thing could happen with penalties in Madden. You happen to get 8 PI calls all at crucial times, he gets 2 and he wins the game based on that. Again, how is that good, and what is the point of playing if the outcome is out of your hands? Or what if you're playing a guy, close game, 16-14, you kick a fg to win, but there's a holding call moving you out of fg range and you lose. So the game just decided the outcome for you because it hasn't called an arbitrary penalty in a while. Maybe you think that's cool because it's realistic. My vote is that it takes away the reason to play: to see who's better.

All that being said, that's just my opinion about competitive modes. I agree with everyone else saying the Tiburon team needs to step their game up. No reason to not have all the options for offline modes. Penalty on/offs, sliders, ratings sliders, ability to create/edit people in the middle of a franchise. No excuse for not having options.

Just my take on some of what u said regarding penalties..I understand ur point but..the penalties shouldn't just be random..they should be caused by poor play or inexperience..meaning if ur using a team with DB's and LB's with poor coverage skills or/including young players this should cause more PI calls..same goes for if u have players out of position covering WR (ie WR on LB)..along those lines u press a lot u only looking to be called for d holding or illegal use of the hands..they shouldn't just happen to happen..same with offense..if a O-Tackle is going against a speed rusher and is getting beat to the edge due to his slow feet he should hold causing the flag to be thrown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »