Home

The Five Best Ways To Improve Madden's Presentation

This is a discussion on The Five Best Ways To Improve Madden's Presentation within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Five Best Ways To Improve Madden's Presentation

In my review, I panned Madden NFL 15's presentation because of its commentary and a few other glitches in the matrix. Honestly, as the game has aged I feel like several other aspects of the presentation have noticeable flaws within them as well which have become even more visible.

Here are five things I think next year's game needs to really work on to be a clear step above this year's:
  1. Improve the commentary. This goes without saying, as I think this might be the most obvious place Madden needs help. Lines need to be accurately delivered at the last, with the announcers being more aware of what's going on. Even more importantly, the depth of lines needs to be about double what they are to prevent so many darned repeated one-liners.
  2. The stat overlays are awesome, but they disappear way too quickly. I really feel having the announcers talk about the overlays and also keeping them up for more than a few seconds would be great. Perhaps incorporate the playbook stuff into a format where there could still be a TV broadcast going on while you call plays. Just a thought.
  3. More 'situational realism'. This is a problem not just with Madden, but many sports games. The playoffs need to feel like the playoffs. 3rd and 1 needs to feel like a big make or break play. Arrowhead needs to sound like Arrowhead. The crowd needs to crescendo and then 'pop' when a long pass is completed. There's so much untouched material.
  4. Actual in-stadium music. I think this is the one little thing that could add so much. The actual kickoff and touchdown songs would be incredible -- I know the licensing can be problematic but it'd be a cool touch for NFL fans.
  5. Halftime shows which we don't feel like skipping through. Let me first say, I want to give EA credit for doing a halftime show. Let me also be the guy to say this as well: it could be so much better. Unlike other sports, football is a weekly event. Everyone's playing, there are moving parts around the league that implicate your game at the same time. In-game cut ins (see: NCAA Football) would be amazing, as would halftime shows that discuss the impacts of the game in progress, especially late in the year.

What would you like to see Madden NFL incorporate into the presentation next year?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
I just want a live ticker and in-game highlights to show scores from other games, kind of like NCAA football did.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
I just want a live ticker and in-game highlights to show scores from other games, kind of like NCAA football did.
I agree 100%. In WAY too many of these games you feel like this is the only game going on. NCAA started to get it a little with the cut ins and the score running along the bottom.

The other thing, ironically was from the last year of EA's other NCAA game. I LOVED that they had a CBS broadcast and an ESPN broadcast. Different announcers, different overlay, different feel. Would really help spice up prime-time games. Also, use networks, I'm sick of seeing EA's logo EVERYWHERE, we get that EA made the game NOBODY ELSE CAN LEGALLY MAKE AN NFL GAME! Use real sponsors and real networks.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
MVP

mjavon's Arena

Re: The Five Best Ways To Improve Madden's Presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26

This would be HUGE and since they were able to do it with NCAA, shouldn't be all that difficult for them to recreate. I love following what's going on in the league in my franchise mode, but you kind of have to go out of your way to do so.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
I agree 100%. In WAY too many of these games you feel like this is the only game going on. NCAA started to get it a little with the cut ins and the score running along the bottom.

The other thing, ironically was from the last year of EA's other NCAA game. I LOVED that they had a CBS broadcast and an ESPN broadcast. Different announcers, different overlay, different feel. Would really help spice up prime-time games. Also, use networks, I'm sick of seeing EA's logo EVERYWHERE, we get that EA made the game NOBODY ELSE CAN LEGALLY MAKE AN NFL GAME! Use real sponsors and real networks.
This. And for the love of god dont make computer animated models of Phil sims and Jim nanz use Real film, same with stadium intros. And last but not least: the draft. The draft needs a massive overhaul, i want a studio nfl network show live the entire draft, more storyline players, they dont have to be all that special, just talk about player: he looks fast,strong,weak,is from small School, played in a spread off. Etc the point is, make Them talk about most players. Lets have a virtual draftboard, talk about who is going nr.1, talk about team needs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
MVP

Poke's Arena

OVR: 1
Move the play selection out of the way during replays.... I can't even see the replay and if I select a play the replay stops! Other than this, it would be nice to see someone drawing on the screen to show why a play went right or wrong, or cut to another game during a score (this just in) or red zone stop/score.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Rookie

Interesting. I personally don't think I would like the cut ins or halftime shows. I just skip them. If I want to look at cheerleaders, I can google them lol.

One big thing for me is the playcall screen. I hate that it opens right up to the screen where by pressing A, X, or Y (for XBOX) is calling a play. Reason being, since I skip all the replays and other gimmicks, I'm continuously pressing AAAAAAAAA as soon as the play is over. And if I don't stop in time, it picks the "A" play. I liked it better when it made you pick either "by formation" "by play type" "supersim" or whatever because then I had time to back out of the screen. If any of that makes sense.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I'd like to see scores from other games and more team/player stat comparisons

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »