Home

In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)

This is a discussion on In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)

It's been an interesting year for Konami's PES team. While EA rushed to harness the power of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with FIFA 14, Konami decided to release PES 2014 on the Xbox 360 & PS3 utilizing the critically acclaimed Fox Engine. Despite receiving numerous gameplay patches throughout the year, PES 2014 often felt more frustrating than fun. Those who stayed the course with PES 2014 were ultimately rewarded with the best gameplay since PES 2011.

As news began to emerge on PES 2015, the community remained cautiously optimistic as Konami boasted that this year, "The Pitch is Ours." It's a claim that the community had heard before and all signs were pointing towards a pivotal year for a franchise that has seen its market share decrease in Europe and the United States over the past few years.

With the release of PES 2015, Konami has attempted to re-embrace its roots, focusing its attention on what it does best: gameplay. Now that kickoff whistle has blown, it's time to take to the pitch and see how successful PES 2015 is this year at replicating the beautiful game.

Read More - In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
In my opinion you did not emphasize enough on the AI. Every game plays different as the players play different. Thats by far the biggest advantage of PES over FIFA.
About the commentary: The german commentary is much better than in FIFA. Which is not a hard task as the german commentary in FIFA is the worst in the history of sports games.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12
I love the "dead air" commentary, been saying for years these games need less of the incessant repetitive yapping that most of these sports games now have.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I love the "dead air" commentary, been saying for years these games need less of the incessant repetitive yapping that most of these sports games now have.
Jon Champion is by far my most favorite footy commentator but his style just doesn't translate well to video games. It also doesn't help that he doesn't have enough lines. I'd imagine the lack of English licenses hurts too. If they had the full EPL-League 2 I'd imagine he'd tell us tales of when Pompey won the FA Cup in 1939, lol.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: In PES 2015, The Old Magic is Back on the Pitch (XB1/PS4 Review)

I bought PES on steam this past weekend and love it. Every team plays differently, the Goalkeepers are much better than FIFA's and you have to build up to a good shot. It's very rewarding to have to work for a goal.

Edit: And in my ML I had a player score goals in back to back games, and the commentators made a note of it. I thought that was awesome.

Last edited by BBallcoach; 11-17-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3
one question about the defensive AI

when you succesfully dribble past one opponent in midfield in the demo (superstar difficulty) you can run pretty much untouched into the box and score, all the defensive players stay glued to their position without any sense of urgency, has that changed in the final code?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Picked this up on Steam and I have to say, it's the best replication of the sport ever. I would probably give it a 9.5/10.

The reason is that it excels in the areas that matter most when it comes to sports games: gameplay and individuality.

This game has individuality in spades. Every player and every team feels and plays unique. Players are recognizable by their different running styles as well as their talents (dribbling skills etc). It's superb. When you pick up the ball with Robben (Netherlands), for example, it feels like Robben, it looks like Robben, and it moves like Robben. This is what it's all about. The teams play like their real-life counterparts as well.

Licenses don't bother me at all because there is option files for that.

9.5 out of 10.

Last edited by jpollack34; 11-17-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
Picked this up on Steam and I have to say, it's the best replication of the sport ever. I would probably give it a 9.5/10.

The reason is that it excels in the areas that matter most when it comes to sports games: gameplay and individuality.

This game has individuality in spades. Every player and every team feels and plays unique. Players are recognizable by their different running styles as well as their talents (dribbling skills etc). It's superb. When you pick up the ball with Robben (Netherlands), for example, it feels like Robben, it looks like Robben, and it moves like Robben. This is what it's all about. The teams play like their real-life counterparts as well.

Licenses don't bother me at all because there is option files for that.

9.5 out of 10.
Yeah, there are already mods for the PC that include all the leagues and cups. I am not a big stickler on kits, because they are usually just big advertisements. But there are already great mods out there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »