Home

WWE 2K15's Universe Mode Gives You The Power (Sort of)

This is a discussion on WWE 2K15's Universe Mode Gives You The Power (Sort of) within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
WWE 2K15's Universe Mode Gives You The Power (Sort of)

Have you ever wanted to completely redo how the WWE approaches storylines and their TV lineup? Have you ever thought about booking as a second career choice?

Well, WWE 2K15's Universe Mode gives you a bit of a taste of what that's like, if you can also stomach some artificial limitations and some wonky interface quirks along the way.

Pros
  • Your options as a booker/GM/whatever you are have a lot of room to work within. You can book several matches per show and develop rivalries and schedule title matches to your hearts desire.
  • The fun factor is definitely here if you are a creative individual wiling to put some time into building your own universe. I have had some fun making Brock Lesnar an unstoppable beast with my created character slowing rising through the ranks. With some luck, I'm going to have them square off at Wrestlemania for the title.
  • The ability to add shows to your heart's content is just excellent.

Cons
  • The automatic booking is sometimes quite terrible. On more than one occasion the same wrestler was booked in a match 2 and 3 times in a show.
  • The interface is designed to make everything as hard as possible to do. Everything takes about 3 to 4 button presses more than it should ever take.
  • No options to add more or less matches to shows, and no 'in between segments' to spice things up.
  • The Title screen in particular is a mess. Why not have only active titles shown for Title matches, etc.? Just poorly thought out execution.

Final Thoughts

WWE 2K15's Universe Mode is an adequate mode for gamers who want to do their own thing in the game but have those consequences play out over time. However, it's extremely limited and it feels it was frustratingly created that way for some audacious reason. I'd love it if Universe Mode were given a more proper treatment next year, and given more bells and whistles and even some real objectives for you to shoot for. The foundation is here for something special -- just what is here isn't special but merely only adequate.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Pro

AirJordanFan93's Arena

OVR: 3
So same old story for Universe. Potential is there for it yet they did nothing to actually show that potential. This and how lackluster MyCareer sounds have put me off this game at least until sometime in 2015. Looks like im getting Far Cry 4 over this very disappointed in the output this year.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: WWE 2K15's Universe Mode Gives You The Power (Sort of)

You actually can change between 3 5 or 7 matches for a show. Just fyi
Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
You actually can change between 3 5 or 7 matches for a show. Just fyi
Yeah, I was referring more to having more than 7 on a show, especially a PPV. Frustrating when you have six rivalries and several titles as well that you'd like to see play out on a single show.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordanFan93
So same old story for Universe. Potential is there for it yet they did nothing to actually show that potential. This and how lackluster MyCareer sounds have put me off this game at least until sometime in 2015. Looks like im getting Far Cry 4 over this very disappointed in the output this year.
FarCry 4 is outstanding. Prepare to say good bye to your life, that game sucks you in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
It really is a shame about this game, I myself looked forward to it...had the hulkamania edition pre order then I saw the last Gen review and that age old saying "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression" came into mind. I'm confused as to why they couldn't keep the base that wwe 2k14 had and take it from there, I still play the game till this day. I really think 2k should have waited a while before releasing this game, they could have done so much more or maybe we were spoiled to the game modes and rosters we had. It's funny cause all the people that hated thq are now the ones going nuts about what has been removed. No one will ever be satisfied I guess. But I'm sure universe and mycareer will be a bit more polished next year just like mycareer for nba 2k.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: WWE 2K15's Universe Mode Gives You The Power (Sort of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjumpman_23
It really is a shame about this game, I myself looked forward to it...had the hulkamania edition pre order then I saw the last Gen review and that age old saying "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression" came into mind. I'm confused as to why they couldn't keep the base that wwe 2k14 had and take it from there, I still play the game till this day. I really think 2k should have waited a while before releasing this game, they could have done so much more or maybe we were spoiled to the game modes and rosters we had. It's funny cause all the people that hated thq are now the ones going nuts about what has been removed. No one will ever be satisfied I guess. But I'm sure universe and mycareer will be a bit more polished next year just like mycareer for nba 2k.
Yeah, I don't know why they rushed to put this out with it so lackluster in many areas.
It's not like sports games where you want the game to come out close to when the real season starts.
If they had released it around Wrestlemania time it might have been better.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_magic
Yeah, I don't know why they rushed to put this out with it so lackluster in many areas.
It's not like sports games where you want the game to come out close to when the real season starts.
If they had released it around Wrestlemania time it might have been better.
Honestly, I think they can really make it a annual release after wrestlemania just how sports seasons kick off. If you think about wwe has a pattern, a lot of gimmicks/feuds are at the height and ending during that time, so why not release the game a month or two after that way the game and rosters are fresh and having updated attire content how ea sports has free content monthly like ufc. I'm mean we are getting constant NBA 2k 15 roster updates on a daily basis so why not wwe seeing how much it changes....cause in reality wwe 2k 15 for last and current Gen could have released on the same day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »