Home

Pro Strategy Football 2014 Review (iOS)

This is a discussion on Pro Strategy Football 2014 Review (iOS) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Pro Strategy Football 2014 Review (iOS)

Though there are a number of arcade titles available in the iOS app store, I tend to gravitate toward the more “thinky” style of game when playing on my phone/iPad. Perhaps it’s the small screen size, the ambiguity of touch controls, or my increasingly slow reflexes.

The same is true of sports games. There are a lot of action-oriented sports titles, but the ones I like most exchange action for strategy: iOOTP Baseball or Blood Bowl, for instance. Pro Strategy Football 2014 falls perfectly into this category, and is one of the best “thinking man’s” football titles available, though it's not without its issues.

Read More - Pro Strategy Football 2014 Review (iOS)
Platform: iPhone / iPad / iOS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
This sounds awesome. I'd get it in a heartbeat if there were some sort multi season mode.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thanks for the review! Career Play is coming along, slowly but surely. This is a part-time job I do on the side, and this Fall has been incredibly busy. However, I have preseason and postseason almost complete, and I'm working on the draft now.

BTW, I had thought I'd do a "simplified draft" where you just set priorities and let the GM and Scouts handle the actual selections, but after talking with a few guys, I've decided to go ahead and implement a draft. I'll try to have an updated video asap.

As for editing player names, that's on my list of things, too. I'd like to finish the Career Play and then look at the Android conversion again, but also at options for at least editing player names - I may add in-game screens for now, but long term I want to make it possible for users to swap files.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8
I played and still play alot of PSF 2013. I haven't yet brought the current one as I'm waiting for the career mode, but I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy it this afternoon. Game is so much fun regardless, and I just know the career mode is going to be amazing too!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStrategyFootball
Thanks for the review! Career Play is coming along, slowly but surely. This is a part-time job I do on the side, and this Fall has been incredibly busy. However, I have preseason and postseason almost complete, and I'm working on the draft now.

BTW, I had thought I'd do a "simplified draft" where you just set priorities and let the GM and Scouts handle the actual selections, but after talking with a few guys, I've decided to go ahead and implement a draft. I'll try to have an updated video asap.

As for editing player names, that's on my list of things, too. I'd like to finish the Career Play and then look at the Android conversion again, but also at options for at least editing player names - I may add in-game screens for now, but long term I want to make it possible for users to swap files.
Hopefully in a year or so you can make a college version of this game. I have never played your games, but I am a playbook/design nut which is enough for me to buy this game regardless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
Rookie

I would love to create a college game. I'd have to do a lot of redesign to allow for flexible conferences, etc, but I think it would be great. Another hurdle would be team names. I have no idea what I could do there. I couldn't use Vols, for example, but I could use Tennessee (I think). But states have multiple teams, so I'd need to be more creative. And of course, I would *have* to allow users to rename their teams then!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Rookie

Quick update, I'm implementing a draft, which is coming along. However, between work and family visiting for a few weeks, I haven't been able to work on this much. I'll have more time next weekend. I have to work on the draft order logic (which I can find online) and then on the computer AI logic for making choices. Once the draft is done, I'm pretty much down to just testing.

I hope the approach I'm taking on the Draft will be useful, at least as a first pass.

The screen:
- tells you the round (1-7, although I could do 1-5 if that's easier for people)
- has categories (Lines, Offensive Players, Defensive Players, Special Teams)
- for each category, you have a few choices, such as Quarterbacks, Halfbacks, Tight Ends, etc.

Here's an example (and I'll put up some screenshots after dinner if I can):
- you select Offensive Players, and then Quarterbacks
- the middle section is scrollable, showing all the players
- at the top of that section is a section "Your Current Roster" and it shows your current quarterbacks
- the next section below that is the "Available QBs" which lists all the quarterbacks not yet taken
- the bottom section is "Drafted QBs" which displays the QBs which have been taken so far

Since QBs have so many numbers, I show the column headings at the top, and you can toggle between two sets of numbers.

Thanks for your patience, and I hope this'll be worth the wait! I look forward to feedback once the Career Play is out.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Pro Strategy Football 2014 Review (iOS)

Downloading this now. Excited to play

Sports Gaming Maniac. Follow me on the interweb TecmZack - @VanMetra16

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »