Home

The Handicap System Explained For The Golf Club

This is a discussion on The Handicap System Explained For The Golf Club within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The Handicap System Explained For The Golf Club

One of the big features in the upcoming Feature Update 2 for The Golf Club is the handicap system. For those of you that aren't familiar with a handicap in golf, make sure you read this article explaining it. We have posted a few notes from it below.

WHAT IS A HANDICAP?

A handicap is a system that will bring competitiveness between players of all skill levels. It is weighted in a way that the better player will normally win but if they have an off round or weaker player has an exceptional day then the weaker player will win.

WHAT DOES MY HANDICAP MEAN?

The Handicap can be from 38 through to an infinite positive number (+8 is Tiger Woods’ handicap). Having a handicap between 1 and 38 means that you are allowed an extra shot on certain holes, depending on their Stroke Index. The harder the hole the more shots you’ll get. If you have a positive handicap, like Tiger, you’ll have less shots on easier holes on the course.

HERE’S AN EXAMPLE

If I have a Handicap of 1, I am awarded an extra shot to reach par on the course and the only hole affected on the round will be the hardest hole on the course (Stroke Index 1). If this hole is a par 5 and I shoot a 6, it will still be classed as a 5 in my NET score, or 3 points in Stableford because I had an extra shot.

If I have +1 handicap the only hole affected will be the easiest hole on the course (Stroke Index 18), on that hole, a par 3 say, I’ll need to shoot a 2 to have my net score classed as a par, or my Stableford points to be 3 points.

In Tiger Woods’ case (he has a +8 handicap) he would need to birdie eight holes to get an even par for those holes and those holes he would need to birdie would be the eight easiest so the ones with a Stoke Index 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 and 11.

In the case of my Real Life Handicap 21, I get a to make a bogey on 15 holes and a double bogey on the holes with an SI of 1, 2 and 3.

A golfer with a Scratch Handicap, 0, will get no shots taken from or added to their scorecard.
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: The Handicap System Explained For The Golf Club

Wow, this will make a lot struggling players feel better and get better.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm gonna have to re-read that a couple times. LOL

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 12-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Pro

tHurley2010's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

One of the big features in the upcoming Feature Update 2 for The Golf Club is the handicap system. For those of you that aren't familiar with a handicap in golf, make sure you read this article explaining it. We have posted a few notes from it below.

WHAT IS A HANDICAP?

A handicap is a system that will bring competitiveness between players of all skill levels. It is weighted in a way that the better player will normally win but if they have an off round or weaker player has an exceptional day then the weaker player will win.

WHAT DOES MY HANDICAP MEAN?

The Handicap can be from 38 through to an infinite positive number (+8 is Tiger Woods’ handicap). Having a handicap between 1 and 38 means that you are allowed an extra shot on certain holes, depending on their Stroke Index. The harder the hole the more shots you’ll get. If you have a positive handicap, like Tiger, you’ll have less shots on easier holes on the course.

HERE’S AN EXAMPLE

If I have a Handicap of 1, I am awarded an extra shot to reach par on the course and the only hole affected on the round will be the hardest hole on the course (Stroke Index 1). If this hole is a par 5 and I shoot a 6, it will still be classed as a 5 in my NET score, or 3 points in Stableford because I had an extra shot.

If I have +1 handicap the only hole affected will be the easiest hole on the course (Stroke Index 18), on that hole, a par 3 say, I’ll need to shoot a 2 to have my net score classed as a par, or my Stableford points to be 3 points.

In Tiger Woods’ case (he has a +8 handicap) he would need to birdie eight holes to get an even par for those holes and those holes he would need to birdie would be the eight easiest so the ones with a Stoke Index 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 and 11.

In the case of my Real Life Handicap 21, I get a to make a bogey on 15 holes and a double bogey on the holes with an SI of 1, 2 and 3.

A golfer with a Scratch Handicap, 0, will get no shots taken from or added to their scorecard.
So I'm guessing they'll be ranking the difficulty of each hole as well? Wonder how that'll work for user created courses.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHurley2010
So I'm guessing they'll be ranking the difficulty of each hole as well? Wonder how that'll work for user created courses.
It should be relatively easy to calculate based on all of the actual rounds played in the courses.

One question I have is will your handicap be based on the 10 best of your 20 most recent rounds like the USGA does.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »