Home

Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

This is a discussion on Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

Here's my 2 pennies on the subject:

I had seen that Techcrunch video months ago, but since the focus was on that app, i paid it little mind until more talk of JMF 16 started to pick up steam so I re-watched it & I believe the info I think we're looking for is in there, encrypted a little bit, but in there nonetheless, and is all I personally need to believe that this is more than a mobile game. The first couple of sentences out of his mouth and he's talking about Madden and there being no competition and console gaming.

I know as much as anyone else here but my sumation of whats going on is that I see Damon Grow's involvement as being initially for the fantasy mobile game but then with his overall knowledge about gaming in general it led to more work with JM. DG is no doubt a huge part of the overall game development, but he could also be just a liason/project manager of sorts overseeing the company that is developing the game and speaks for and with JM when necessary, thus the reason why he can't be too verbose about news or leak info unless it goes through the proper channel aka funder of the project, Joe Montana.

I personally don't think that after seeing that video and hearing Montana ' s acknowledgement of there being no competition for Madden as well as his mentioning of the term "console gaming" I dont think that he'd be foolish enough to have a guy associated with his game, posting pics of detailed graphics, motion capture animations and of 2K5 and then do all that as some sort of trick to only present & promote a mobile game.

He'd be only tempting serious backlash from supporters who'll be turned off by anything he tried to make in the future, console game or not.

Heres the link for those who want to watch who haven't seen it:

http://techcrunch.com/video/joe-mont...mfl/517751363/
Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
Rookie

ElectricAggie's Arena

OVR: 0

I just watched the video and there are a couple things that I would like to point out:

-The video was posted back in April 2013. I think it's safe to say that a lot of changes to the project have happened since then.
-Joe mentioned that there was no competitor for Madden currently, which leads me to believe he has some interest in creating a game that would compete with Madden.
-The game seemed very dependent on having an NFL license. Joe mentioned that they were close to making a deal. If they never got that deal done, they may have decided to change the direction of the project completely (ie. from a licensed mobile app to an unlicensed console game). This goes back to Joe seeming to express some interest in creating a Madden competitor.
-In the video, Damon demos what happens during the actual game. Granted this was most likely in alpha stage at the release, however there are no visual graphics whatsoever happening on the field. With the pictures of people wearing mocap outfits and the screenshots showing the amount of detail in a player's face, along with Damon showing that he plays NFL 2K5 for inspiration, I just can't see how this can possibly still be a mobile app at this point. But that's all I am able to speculate at this point.
Houston Rockets

Last edited by ElectricAggie; 02-25-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Rookie

dcal's Arena

OVR: 19
There is only one thing that the JM16 camp has to do right now to get the entire sports gaming community buzzing, without even releasing any additional information. If they officially confirm that this game is for any platform, other than mobile, that will build a ton of excitement.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I thought Grow said he watched the NFL2k5 video that someone linked him to, I didn't think he admitted to playing it.

Said it was inspiring to watch, I thought?

Eh, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Rookie

ElectricAggie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I thought Grow said he watched the NFL2k5 video that someone linked him to, I didn't think he admitted to playing it.

Eh, maybe I'm wrong.
Here ya go:
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/565300272428494849
Houston Rockets

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Eh, maybe I'm wrong.
No, I believe you're correct. He said that 2K5 was the "inspiration" or something along those lines. He didn't make mention of playing it - just watching the YouTube video someone linked to in a tweet. May have been 2 separate tweets, but I know he mentioned watching a 2K5 video someone linked to him at one point.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #23
Rookie

ElectricAggie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
No, I believe you're correct. He said that 2K5 was the "inspiration" or something along those lines. He didn't make mention of playing it - just watching the YouTube video someone linked to in a tweet. May have been 2 separate tweets, but I know he mentioned watching a 2K5 video someone linked to him at one point.
It looks like he is playing it in the tweet I just linked.
Houston Rockets

Old 02-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #24
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

He has it up on the screen, but I don't know that he is playing it. Maybe someone else had it up and was looking into something, but I don't know that Damon himself was actually playing. Either way, he makes a point to let us know he understands the importance of 2K5 in your attached tweet - and that's what's important.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »