Home

EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June?

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #17
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Yeah, that looked....not promising. I think we can pretty much forget about a serious sim game at this point.

That will never happen. But luckily, golf is one of the few sports where an official license matters the least IMO. Don't get me wrong, the license only adds value when done right, but it's not the same as an unlicensed football or basketball game, which are pretty much DOA. Some of the all time greats like "Links" and "Jack Nicklaus" never had PGA licenses, and I never really noticed. At least there is some competition in the genre now, so there's somewhere else to get your sim golf fix. But it is disappointing that the only official PGA Tour game is looking pretty arcadey...

While Im more of a basketball, baseball, and football guy, Id actually would be fine if there was a good unofficial license game of 1 of those sports, and if it played well I would play it a lot. But with Golf I just cant get into it if the real golfers are in the game, and I wont buy a golf game if it doesn't have the real golfers.

Really hope were wrong, and EA puts out a true simulation of golf. Im fine if they want to put in a arcade mode, as long as its not all arcade, and there is a true sim mode in the game, like it has been in the past. Nothing wrong with trying to broaden the scope of people who would buy the game.

Maybe Im in the minority but I really enjoyed the last 2 version of EA's golf game on my PS3, and those were also the 1st ones I had ever bought. Really hoped when they decided to bring back the Golf Franchise they would just build off of what they had done on the old consoles.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
While Im more of a basketball, baseball, and football guy, Id actually would be fine if there was a good unofficial license game of 1 of those sports, and if it played well I would play it a lot. But with Golf I just cant get into it if the real golfers are in the game, and I wont buy a golf game if it doesn't have the real golfers.

Really hope were wrong, and EA puts out a true simulation of golf. Im fine if they want to put in a arcade mode, as long as its not all arcade, and there is a true sim mode in the game, like it has been in the past. Nothing wrong with trying to broaden the scope of people who would buy the game.

Maybe Im in the minority but I really enjoyed the last 2 version of EA's golf game on my PS3, and those were also the 1st ones I had ever bought. Really hoped when they decided to bring back the Golf Franchise they would just build off of what they had done on the old consoles.
TW14 was a very good Sim game on the hardest mode and the best golf game EA ever made. Not sure where people are getting that its become arcadey. Actually has strayed from that in the last few versions. I think the fact there were so my bugs in the last game turned people off.

That initial trailer wasn't the best to use to attract sim guys but I don't think it will be pure arcade. They will have enough to attract both sides of the fence. As long as they don't go bare bones with this release, which happens often with initial next gen releases, then this game should be pretty good. The bugs should be gone since they are using a new graphics engine. With 2 years of preparation and next gen graphics, they should at the very least be ramping up the presentation, career mode and commentary to get some immersion in this game which has been sorely lacking. And if there is no Augusta in this game, they need a selling point somewhere else.

If they give us a game that has that "oh just be happy you have shiny new next gen graphics" feel to it and not much else then this may be the last edition.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
TW14 was a very good Sim game on the hardest mode and the best golf game EA ever made. Not sure where people are getting that its become arcadey. Actually has strayed from that in the last few versions. I think the fact there were so my bugs in the last game turned people off.
I agree the latter half of last-gen the games got better, but I think the best golf game EA ever made was the last "PGA Tour" (pre-"Tiger Woods") released on the PC. I played the &*(#!! out of that game. Then the first "Tiger Woods" game on PC was okay, but there was this thing where if you hit it perfectly, lightning would strike Tiger and the shot would be extra-good (or some such bonus) - aka arcade elements....then in subsequent years you could spin the ball after the shot, they went to the "ball follow cam" as the exclusive camera, the putting was a joke, they had those "zoom-in heartbeat" moments when you hit a good shot, etc. Long, slow decline IMO (although they started to get better by last gen's end, as mentioned).

Quote:
That initial trailer wasn't the best to use to attract sim guys but I don't think it will be pure arcade. They will have enough to attract both sides of the fence. As long as they don't go bare bones with this release, which happens often with initial next gen releases, then this game should be pretty good. The bugs should be gone since they are using a new graphics engine. With 2 years of preparation and next gen graphics, they should at the very least be ramping up the presentation, career mode and commentary to get some immersion in this game which has been sorely lacking. And if there is no Augusta in this game, they need a selling point somewhere else.

If they give us a game that has that "oh just be happy you have shiny new next gen graphics" feel to it and not much else then this may be the last edition.
My experience is never buy year 1 of a new-gen EA game. I still want my money back for "NCAA 07" for X360....(!) There's always hope, though.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #20
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

I agree, that wasn't a very good 1st vid to show off the game, to the diehard golf gamers out there. After seeing that I wont be buying day 1, and I had planned on reserving my copy when I went to pick up MLBTS15, but after seeing that it does have me concerned somewhat that it may be more arcade than sim.

I know with that 1st game on a console sometimes, they are somewhat bare bones, but you would think as long as they have had to make it for the new consoles, that they would be putting out a great game, but it is EA, and any of us that have bought there football and basketball games over the years knows they are pretty good at screwing things up, along with having trouble always being honest.

I hope they surprise me and its a improved version of the last Golf game on the old consoles.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 24

Anybody see that 10 second trailer with the green ball rolling. And it rolls suspiciously like an egg, like a green easter egg. Probably safe to assume that Saint Patrick's day on the 17th is the day we finally see some real info on this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #22
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Yea they also did a throwback Thursday and a flashback Friday, after months of nothing. Getting closer. Probably will be nothing more than a 60 second video and a blog but it's enough to get me excited. I love the golf club but it'll be nice to play real courses and pga players.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
16 Time World Champion

Nature_Boy's Arena

OVR: 30
Icon14 Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Moved to June?

This was just posted on the EA SPORTS PGA TOUR Facebook page. It shows the cover of PGA Tour 96 along with this message.

One more throwback before tomorrow afternoon's tee time...You don't want to miss it... ?#?NextGenGolf?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #24
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

And someone commented "finally big reveal" or something like that and ea liked the comment so pretty much safe to say we're going to see something tomorrow. Still hoping the June 30th is just a placeholder but not putting my money on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »