Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

NBA 2K15's
fourth patch isn't available yet on Xbox One, but PlayStation 4 and PC owners have now had a week and a half to experience its effects.

Developer Visual Concepts hasn't published an official change log (and doesn't plan to, until Xbox One users receive the update), but Gameplay Director Mike Wang has already confirmed a few changes to NBA 2K15's shooting system on the Operation Sports forums...

Read More - NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / iOS / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

I agree that the influence of user timing should have a more subtle effect on overall results. I also agree that in any system within 2K that real player percentage should always form the core basis.

MyCareer's inability to have slider control is somewhat mitigated by use of real player percentage shooting but it still suffers from the lack of an ability to fine tune gameplay.

The only real solution is to separate online from offline play - mixing them together only frustrates everyone when it comes to MC.

Edit: I will add this - If 2k were to follow a tighter, more true to real field goal percentage system there would be a lot of complaining from people who believe that if they had a "perfect" release then it should have gone in. 2k would face all sorts of whine to go along with the cheese.

Last edited by Taer; 03-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0

I always thought 2k overfavored the random luck of the draw vs the skill of the person shooting. However I think green releases are a completely argument.

They should probably go in at a much lower rate. 75%?

And maybe a few less greenies.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Pro

Have all 3 shot mechanics in the game.

Real Player % = Ratings Based

Shot Meter = Green Releases are automatic (casual and online modes would use this)

User Timing = Green Release is true player rating, -3 slightly late/early, -9 very late/early.

Also let the sliders 50 be actual ratings, why must the Midrange be at 45 and the 3PT be at 47. Beef up the defense 2k, let the default value truly represent the player.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Pro

I agree, also I think other things that should lower the rating besides timing, are being off the dribble and contested like they already have, but the height of the player shooting and of the contested should play a part in it. You can be all over Kd but if your 6 ft it shouldn't really affect you as my h as a taller players contest would
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I like the idea of perfect releases equating to an automatic bucket. It gives players the feeling that they actually made the shot. However, there are 3 things that need to be added. They need to be more difficult to achieve, they should only be possible for players with a 75+ shooting rating for the situation, and they should only be possible if the shooter is wide open (even the slightest contest from the defense should make a perfect release impossible).

This leaves the possibility for "perfect releases" in the game, but puts more weight on ratings and less on user timing.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43
You shouldn't be eligible for a perfect release if you're below 80 from the respective range. Timing for perfect release between 80-85 should be pretty tight. Above 85, you should prioritize contesting that player. Above 87, open shot percentages should remain the same, but contested shots should receive a 5-10% boost.

None of this works without a big boost to defensive movement and responsiveness to the shot contest buttons. With defensive movement still being egregiously bad, VC should have opted for a more moderate nerf.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

user timing and shot ratings should always play a part in shot success

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »