Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Money quotes form the main OS article:

Quote:
While both of these changes are welcome, finally being able to achieve a perfect "green" release with every shooting form in the game has caused field goal percentages to skyrocket, post-patch. The reason is that green release shots go in roughly 99% of the time in NBA 2K15, regardless of what difficulty the game is set to, or how poor the shooter's attributes are.
The near-perfect success rate of green shots, unfortunately, cannot be changed by lowering shooting sliders. It's just something that's hard-coded into the game, and needs to be seriously reconsidered for NBA 2K16.
Yup. Sadly, this seems to be true. It's great 2k even attempted a patch this late in the cycle, but it has created unanticipated problems, moving the game forward in some ways and backward in others.

I hope the devs don't take a lesson from this that says, "Don't support the game late in the cycle." When we give feedback, let's try to make that clear, and appreciate that they even tried to fix releases, which we all asked them to do though many threads.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
You shouldn't be eligible for a perfect release if you're below 80 from the respective range. Timing for perfect release between 80-85 should be pretty tight. Above 85, you should prioritize contesting that player. Above 87, open shot percentages should remain the same, but contested shots should receive a 5-10% boost.

None of this works without a big boost to defensive movement and responsiveness to the shot contest buttons. With defensive movement still being egregiously bad, VC should have opted for a more moderate nerf.

Interesting idea.

Just wanted to shout out. I really enjoy your SimHangout participation.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
Rookie

Great article. What does MYteam mode use? They dont use ratings based?!?!?! It kind of makes the whole upgraded players pointless. There is no need to go after a onyx version of the card if a lesser version will just shoot as good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Have all 3 shot mechanics in the game.

Real Player % = Ratings Based

Shot Meter = Green Releases are automatic (casual and online modes would use this)

User Timing = Green Release is true player rating, -3 slightly late/early, -9 very late/early.

Also let the sliders 50 be actual ratings, why must the Midrange be at 45 and the 3PT be at 47. Beef up the defense 2k, let the default value truly represent the player.
I would love to see the user timing you mentioned. Currently if you have a player's shot down perfect you can be a monster with him even though his ratings don't dictate that you should be.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright25
Great article. What does MYteam mode use? They dont use ratings based?!?!?! It kind of makes the whole upgraded players pointless. There is no need to go after a onyx version of the card if a lesser version will just shoot as good.
Ratings do matter until your shot release is "perfect" at that point its pretty much automatic. The probably is its too easy right now to hit that perfect release.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think if the shot heuristics went back to :

Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

Instead of :

Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%

It will be fine, since the "shot glitches has been fixed". In my opinion it's not the perfect releases that is creating high percentages. It's the fact that more slightly early/late shots are falling at a higher clip.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

Like others have said, just make green releases harder to achieve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Just started!

OVR: 0
You can't be serious. How can you possibly prefer the shooting to be based more off user rating than user timing? That's so ridiculous and it irritates me that someone would even say that. 2k is already non user controlled enough and you're telling me you want it to be LESS user controlled? How does that make any sense? Every game is supposed to be user skill based with consideration to the players individual attributes, not just "oh, let me tap this button and let the player decide if he wants to do this or not". 2k is already 80 percent non user controlled, where even the running has been controlled by the developers, just because they refuse to implement a physics based system where players collide realistically in order to stop the player from going a certain direction. Instead, we have to deal with the developers controlling the running, making the players hesitate to run up the court just so you can't exploit fast breaks. Do not get me wrong, I don't want to just run up the court and score, but I don't want it to be because I CAN'T run because the developers made the game so that I can't do it even if I wanted to, rather than implementing a system that's more realistic where the defender alters where I go by getting in the way and colliding. There are so much more things You can't be serious. How can you possibly prefer the shooting to be based more off user rating than user timing? That's so ridiculous and it irritates me that someone would even say that. 2k is already non user controlled enough and you're telling me you want it to be LESS user controlled? How does that make any sense? Every game is supposed to be user skill based with consideration to the players individual attributes, not just "oh, let me tap this button and let the player decide if he wants to do this or not". 2k is already 80 percent non user controlled, where even the running has been controlled by the developers, just because they refuse to implement a physics based system where players collide realistically in order to stop the player from going a certain direction. Instead, we have to deal with the developers controlling the running, making the players hesitate to run up the court just so you can't exploit fast breaks. Do not get me wrong, I don't want to just run up the court and score, but I don't want it to be because I CAN'T run because the developers made the game so that I can't do it even if I wanted to, rather than implementing a system that's more realistic where the defender alters where I go by getting in the way and colliding. There are so much more things that are irritating about this game, but I'll stop now before I get banned just for wording my opinion. are irritating about this game, but I'll stop now before I get banned just for wording my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »