Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Ratings don't dictate the outcome, they dictate the best possible outcome, or the ceiling of a players' potential. Right now, shot release is playing more of a factor than ratings in that regard, which breaks the effect of player specificity.

Players should be rewarded for:
-Getting good shooters open(lenient margin of error regarding shot release)
-Forcing the opponent to take too many shots with mediocre players
-Tightly contesting shots on anyone
-Even more so for contesting shots on mediocre shooters

Players with excellent stick skills see the benefit in that they take advantage of all good opportunities. If you don't create a good opportunity (offensively, a reasonably open shot with a star player in his comfort zone, or a very open shot for a lesser skilled player) you should not have your shot release skills bail you out very often.

Green releases need to be capped according to fatigue, player rating, badges and defensive positioning.

Thanks, Lorenzo, hope to see you on Friday!

Last edited by Bornindamecca; 03-23-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #18
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

look what we have here. we have an official post by OS about this issue.

and yall tried to tell me i was crazy or playing the game wrong when i brought this issue up right after the patch lol. smh.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
Banned

steelers99_58_36's Arena

OVR: 2

"If both teams play solid defense, I can believe that a player might go 80% from the field from time to time, but it definitely shouldn't be the norm."

WHAT!?!?! 80%!?!?! That is unheard of... that's insane... it's ludicrous. If you're telling me that from time to time a player might be able to hit 80% of their shots with their team throughout a full game then that's just ridiculous. If they think that from time to time teams hit 80% of their shots in a game then it's no wonder why shooting is joke in this game now, based on that logic.

Also there is no way in hell that this is true:

Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%

Last edited by steelers99_58_36; 03-23-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #20
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers99_58_36
"If both teams play solid defense, I can believe that a player might go 80% from the field from time to time, but it definitely shouldn't be the norm."

WHAT!?!?! 80%!?!?! That is unheard of... that's insane... it's ludicrous. If you're telling me that from time to time a player might be able to hit 80% of their shots with their team throughout a full game then that's just ridiculous. If they think that from time to time teams hit 80% of their shots in a game then it's no wonder why shooting is joke in this game now, based on that logic.

Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%
they said that a PLAYER may occasionally make 80% of his shots, not a whole team.

and yes that does happen quite frequently in the NBA where a player has a game where he barely misses.

but yes, the shooting is still messed up and needs to be fixed.

right now im stuck. ive been trying to play on hall of fame but i just find it to be too cheesy and no fun. but when i play on superstar its just too easy to make shots.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #21
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

Quote:

Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%
Al Horford was 20/22 over the course of two games this year, and probably went on some decent stretches like that, largely on mid range jumpers. It's a shot that the Hawks create regularly for him, and he's great at it. While this doesn't happen over the course of a season, this does happen more consistently against opponents that play poor defense. Look at how good offensive teams and players play against the really bad defenses.

You see some silly numbers across the board.

When two humans play 2k, if they both aren't playing at least adequate defense, you'll SHOULD see some silly numbers, otherwise that means that 2k has artificial caps on the player having nothing to do with control. We don't want the game capped by a Random Number Generator, right?

So it's really on 2k to allow us to play good, consistent defense. That part is up for debate, but we can't just sit here and talk about numbers without talking about defense, ratings, fatigue and offensive player skill.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #22
Banned

steelers99_58_36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoleetd
they said that a PLAYER may occasionally make 80% of his shots, not a whole team.

and yes that does happen quite frequently in the NBA where a player has a game where he barely misses.

but yes, the shooting is still messed up and needs to be fixed.

right now im stuck. ive been trying to play on hall of fame but i just find it to be too cheesy and no fun. but when i play on superstar its just too easy to make shots.
Oh. Well I guess I misinterpreted it as a whole team not a single player. A single player makes sense not a whole team though. But still I'm seeing guys going well over 50% online as a whole team and at the park, which was pretty much a joke already, throwing up fading, top key threes and absolutely nailing them.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #23
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

Quote:
Oh. Well I guess I misinterpreted it as a whole team not a single player. A single player makes sense not a whole team though. But still I'm seeing guys going well over 50% online as a whole team and at the park, which was pretty much a joke already, throwing up fading, top key threes and absolutely nailing them.
My Park is athletic freaks with GOAT ratings in a full court 3 on 3 game. While it needs to be tweaked to be fun, it's unreasonable to compare it to a realistic game in any way. It is, by design, an arcade mode.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #24
Banned

steelers99_58_36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Al Horford was 20/22 over the course of two games this year, and probably went on some decent stretches like that, largely on mid range jumpers. It's a shot that the Hawks create regularly for him, and he's great at it. While this doesn't happen over the course of a season, this does happen more consistently against opponents that play poor defense. Look at how good offensive teams and players play against the really bad defenses.

You see some silly numbers across the board.

When two humans play 2k, if they both aren't playing at least adequate defense, you'll SHOULD see some silly numbers, otherwise that means that 2k has artificial caps on the player having nothing to do with control. We don't want the game capped by a Random Number Generator, right?

So it's really on 2k to allow us to play good, consistent defense. That part is up for debate, but we can't just sit here and talk about numbers without talking about defense, ratings, fatigue and offensive player skill.
Totally see what you're saying, I thought he was saying whole teams going 80%, not players. I know that players shoot high percentages like these all the time, but still if you play at the park and quick match at all you'll see guys shooting like this. They're not flukes or hot streaks like something Kyrie had a little bit ago. Players are playing like this game in and game out, online I'm seeing my opponents and I go around 55% all the time, I constantly hit shots I know are well defended and probably shouldn't go in as much as they do and I see the same with the other player too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »