Home

MLB 15 The Show: First Impressions (Video)

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: First Impressions (Video) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 7
Get it. Gameplay is better. Presentation has more camera cuts. Stadiums, crowd, and lighting are improved. Animations are better. I could go on and on.

14 PS4 was great, but this is the first true next gen upgrade to The Show.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7
Also, the ball boys look like they have a clue this year.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Rookie

Timmer015's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 15 The Show: First Impressions (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
After reading what you stated gameplay wise 15 from 14 isn't really that different correct? It just a bit cleaner. What exactly do you mean by cleaner?

Im so on the fence on buying this game. I just don't feel like shelling out $60 and it really isn't a huge difference from 14 to 15.

The thing is MLB the show has always been a solid product, and after buying the game every year. I just have a hard time believing that it can get any better when the game is already solid.

Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Only in the gameplay department.
The game does look and feel very similar to last year's version (that isn't really a bad thing) but you notice little things that are great improvements. Better camera cuts, stadiums look better (I assume that is due to the new lighting dynamics) and everything loads much quicker so you can get in and out of games much more easily this year.

That being said, this is the first year that didn't feel like an automatic upgrade for me (although I ended up breaking down and preordering anyway) and I can see why it others might feel the same way. I still don't think this game feels as "next-gen" as it could be, although I don't really know why I feel that way. There is just something about it. Most likely I'm holding the game and the developers to a much higher standard than possible currently. They make a great game, I guess I just expected a little more than what we got this year.

I'm a big RTTS guy, and the mode feels mostly untouched. I feel like it is going in the right direction with the ritual aspect they add this year, but it's still missing that immersion aspect outside of the games played. RTTS is an RPG aspect in the game, but feels like there isn't much to do outside of playing and taking practice. I almost wish that there were two versions of the show for purchase, those who want Franchise get that game, and guys like myself that want RTTS get that copy of the game. Very unrealistic I'm aware.

That being said I'm a bit off topic so allow me to bring it back on topic. My impression of the game is that it is another great game in a 10yr line of games. MLB's license is in good hands with these devs. While this years version isn't drastically different from last year's, it does move at a much faster pace load time wise, and that alone might be worth some people investing their money in it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0
I have a question. There is no ticker at the bottom of the screen at the main menu that shows real major league baseball scores. Is it in this year's game? I really hope it is! I really liked it!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 32

Just not getting it... MLB the Show is doing exactly what it needs to do to build a solid simulation title on the next gen console. MLB started with a solid foundation and is now building on top of that. It plays a solid game of baseball; a sport that has been the same for over a century.

What types of "major improvements need to be made? This is baseball. It plays like baseball and does a damn good job of reflecting the sport.

Trust me guys... We are getting exactly what we need from this dev team, which are slow, steady improvements to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #14
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElit3
Just not getting it... MLB the Show is doing exactly what it needs to do to build a solid simulation title on the next gen console. MLB started with a solid foundation and is now building on top of that. It plays a solid game of baseball; a sport that has been the same for over a century.

What types of "major improvements need to be made? This is baseball. It plays like baseball and does a damn good job of reflecting the sport.

Trust me guys... We are getting exactly what we need from this dev team, which are slow, steady improvements to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ohh ok well glad to hear that my concerns are just silly then.
Not trying to argue but your post just sounds silly. Saying trust me we are getting just what we need... Huh? That's your opinion.
Me... Nah. And here's my opinion.. A complete stat tracking system should have been implemented a long time ago... This is baseball after all.
Commentary while to me isn't the end all, but is beyond stale, it's like a rock hard loaf of bread. Roster ai and trade ai constantly need to be improved. Franchise could be much deeper. Contracts and budgets included.
I personally think this series could learn much from ootp. I have actually moved on from the show to ootp. And normally I much prefer a show type of game compared to a text type sim.

Now before the usual onslaught of bashers, let me say this also. I have played alot of the show in years past, and appreciate much their efforts and their product. It's given me a good deal of enjoyment over the years and I'm thankful for that. Simply put it appears what I'm looking for is something different than what the developers are looking to provide. So just a personal difference so I moved on. Obviously hopefully to return at some point. I'll continue to follow the series and decide from there.

Also I should mention I have and won't purchase this year, so I apologize if some of what I mentioned has improved somewhat compared to 14. I try to follow as much as possible in regards to improvements and changes.

I should clarify that while I mentioned that this series could learn much from ootp, it's not meant at all in a negative way. Also that's obviously just my opinion and also doesn't mean it could be implemented per se,as I am far from a game developer.

Last edited by Mrmagoo; 04-02-2015 at 08:11 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »