Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Screenshot of 15th Tee at TPC Sawgrass

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Screenshot of 15th Tee at TPC Sawgrass within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
G* H*gs G*!!

TheTruth's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Screenshot of 15th Tee at TPC Sawgrass

Divot is right on. I had more fun playing Tiger on simulation than the golf club. I'm on Xbox and I don't play TGC just because of the framerate/visuals alone. To me it is also much easier to hit a straight shot in TGC than it was in TW14 on hsimulation. The only thing EA needs to fix is chipping around green, TGC tome has a better "feel" than what we have experienced in EA games.

I'm looking forward to finding out more info for the simulation users.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #26
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
You may be right. No argument here. Actual gameplay videos should put the question to rest.

The "post shot spin control, being able to stick every 120 yard approach shot within 3 feet of the cup, unrealistic equipment boosts" are intention features designed to reach the casual / arcade audience. TW14 had a Simulation mode that accomplished everything you describe above that challenged the hardcore simulation users. Opinions vary on the diagonal swing mechanic. IMO, it was FAR more challenging to score in TW14 than it is in TGC for me personally. My understanding is RM will have both casual / arcade features separated from hardcore simulation features in an interview from Brent Nielsen a few months ago. It will be nice to see some more information on this game sooner than later.
Okay, I did not play TW14 aside from the demo for a few minutes, so it's been awhile since I really "played" an EA golf game. What I remember was consistently being able to score in the high 50's/low 60's. I tried the other day to find TW14 on the PS Store and XBL, but I had no luck finding the digital versions. I really wanted to play a few rounds of it just to get a taste of EA golf again.

The other thing that bugged me was the putting system, where you could line up your shot & then see an estimation of where the ball would end up. TGC really nailed the feel of putting really well IMO. I hope EA can do something similar.

Quote:
I really like TGC. However, if EA improves RM's Simulation features to be more intuitive and challenging along with better visuals and framerate than TGC, then I feel it will be competitive with TGC in those areas. It won't be competitive when it comes to number of courses and cost. I am looking forward to having more options in the Golf videogame market. Competition will be a good thing that has been badly needed for YEARS.....
Competition is fantastic, and I really hope RM turns out to be a great game. More options and competition between devs would be outstanding. I play TGC on the XB1, so yes, RM should have better visuals and a smoother framerate, not that TGC is bad persay, it just took awhile for it to grow on me. After 125 rounds and 275+ hours of gameplay I couldn't be more pleased with my $35 investment.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #27
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
Divot is right on. I had more fun playing Tiger on simulation than the golf club. I'm on Xbox and I don't play TGC just because of the framerate/visuals alone. To me it is also much easier to hit a straight shot in TGC than it was in TW14 on simulation. The only thing EA needs to fix is chipping around green, TGC to me has a better "feel" than what we have experienced in EA games.

I'm looking forward to finding out more info for the simulation users.
Two points: I find a lot of fun in both series (EA golf, and TGC) for slightly different reasons.

EA: licensed gear, real PGA courses, galleries, controls, challenge of upgrading golfer from crap to competitor

TGC: course creation (hours and hours and hours...LOL), number of courses available, no paying for DLC course packs (though I get why on EA), linear difficulty setting that is altered up and down by the courses themselves

Point two in reference to what I bolded in the quote: I also feel that is true for off the tee. In TW14, it's more difficult to keep it straight off the tee in sim. In TGC, it's relatively easier, but there's still the wind to figure, and the landing areas with bunkers and hard fairways have had me hit a fair number of second shots out of the sand.

In the end, I love both series and there's room for both. I'm jazzed for RM Golf for the PGA Tour again, building up my golfer, and building my golf bag up is fun for me as well. I've always enjoyed how EA golf plays, especially later versions. After a big re-work like this, I am hoping for the best and looking forward to more information.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

Wow that looks spectacular. I'm interested to see more info about this game.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 10

Good post. And remember, just cause a game has those features, there's no rule saying you have to use them. Just DON'T spin the ball in-flight. It's not that big of a deal.

But DAMN that screenshot looks amazing, I PRAY it's real in-game graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
You may be right. No argument here. Actual gameplay videos should put the question to rest.

The "post shot spin control, being able to stick every 120 yard approach shot within 3 feet of the cup, unrealistic equipment boosts" are intention features designed to reach the casual / arcade audience. TW14 had a Simulation mode that accomplished everything you describe above that challenged the hardcore simulation users. Opinions vary on the diagonal swing mechanic. IMO, it was FAR more challenging to score in TW14 than it is in TGC for me personally. My understanding is RM will have both casual / arcade features separated from hardcore simulation features in an interview from Brent Nielsen a few months ago. It will be nice to see some more information on this game sooner than later.

I really like TGC. However, if EA improves RM's Simulation features to be more intuitive and challenging along with better visuals and framerate than TGC, then I feel it will be competitive with TGC in those areas. It won't be competitive when it comes to number of courses and cost. I am looking forward to having more options in the Golf videogame market. Competition will be a good thing that has been badly needed for YEARS.....
Old 04-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton

The other thing that bugged me was the putting system, where you could line up your shot & then see an estimation of where the ball would end up.
Just turn it off. (That's what I did).

Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #31
MVP

donkey33's Arena

Quote:
Okay, I did not play TW14 aside from the demo for a few minutes, so it's been awhile since I really "played" an EA golf game. What I remember was consistently being able to score in the high 50's/low 60's. I tried the other day to find TW14 on the PS Store and XBL, but I had no luck finding the digital versions. I really wanted to play a few rounds of it just to get a taste of EA golf again.

The other thing that bugged me was the putting system, where you could line up your shot & then see an estimation of where the ball would end up. TGC really nailed the feel of putting really well IMO. I hope EA can do something similar.

Competition is fantastic, and I really hope RM turns out to be a great game. More options and competition between devs would be outstanding. I play TGC on the XB1, so yes, RM should have better visuals and a smoother framerate, not that TGC is bad persay, it just took awhile for it to grow on me. After 125 rounds and 275+ hours of gameplay I couldn't be more pleased with my $35 investment.
I haven't played TGC as I'm after a career mode (not the one announced or TGC tours) so I picked up TW14 a couple of weeks back.

I definitely enjoy simulation mode. No shot preview so I need to use the flyby and look down the fairway from the tee, it's tough to hit fairways which I like, no spin control, I use manual strike control also and not sticky with no putting grid which means I have to read the greens myself.

Got its issues of course (minor so far) but it suits me. At the moment, in real life I'm shooting about 79-81 and that's what I'm shooting in game so I feel like I have to improve my own game to qualify for a tour. Enjoyable challenge.

That's just TW14. As I said, have not played TGC so not a comparison post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #32
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Looking good in motion is completely different than looking good in a still shot, which no doubt is enhanced to levels that I certainly wouldn't expect to see in the final product gameplay.

Honestly the game could look spectacular but unless the gameplay physics are realistic (i.e. no post shot spin control, being able to stick every 120 yard approach shot within 3 feet of the cup, unrealistic equipment boosts, a proper putting engine etc) I will stick with TGC, as it offers everything needed in a golf game and as an added bonus isn't made by EA. I have zero belief in EA being able to create a golf game that captures the "feel" of each type of shot, from slightly hooking a driver to getting up & down around the green to save par....all stuff that TGC does pretty darn fantastically.
This!!! It's all I ever hear about nowadays is graphics.
Bring some game play and a true non gimmicky career mode!! Yawn... Never gonna happen tho...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »