Home

EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th

This is a discussion on EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Rookie

godylla's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer & Blog - Ships on July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Just what I figured. They dumbed down the game and looks like they're making it really easy. So much for tempo swings and no more ball marking with the left stick and total swing control. They took away that and the diagonal swing which was the best thing they had ever done for difficulty. When they reintroduce a 3 click swing, then you know they are making this game for the arcade crowd. Online is ruined as everybody will be shooting -20 on the hardest level with thier Hori controllers. From what it looked like in the menus, you can't even eliminate the MPH #'s for the wind.

The physics looked kind of weird. Everytime the ball hit the greens it was going pretty much straight. Actually looked more natural in TW14. The tree physics look much better though. The graphics were as expected, nicer but not nearly as good as you see in the first trailers. Didn't really blow me away.

Disappointing but expected. Since online will be useless, unless they wow me with a really good career mode then I'll be skipping this year's game and wait until whatever the next game is to get the diagonal swing back which I'm sure their holding back for future games.
It is possible that the "Tour" mode could quench some of your thirsts. Maybe not all of them, but might give you some of the simulation you were hoping for.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
- Jimmy V.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer & Blog - Ships on July

I'm probably very much in the minority, but I'm hoping for an option for Kinect controls to swing. Really enjoyed Wii Tiger woods and the Masters game that had Kinect controls.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Just what I figured. They dumbed down the game and looks like they're making it really easy. So much for tempo swings and no more ball marking with the left stick and total swing control. They took away that and the diagonal swing which was the best thing they had ever done for difficulty. When they reintroduce a 3 click swing, then you know they are making this game for the arcade crowd. Online is ruined as everybody will be shooting -20 on the hardest level with thier Hori controllers. From what it looked like in the menus, you can't even eliminate the MPH #'s for the wind.

The physics looked kind of weird. Everytime the ball hit the greens it was going pretty much straight. Actually looked more natural in TW14. The tree physics look much better though. The graphics were as expected, nicer but not nearly as good as you see in the first trailers. Didn't really blow me away.

Disappointing but expected. Since online will be useless, unless they wow me with a really good career mode then I'll be skipping this year's game and wait until whatever the next game is to get the diagonal swing back which I'm sure their holding back for future games.
I got a different impression from the video. I don't really care about the Arcade and Classic modes (although Powerstar Golf did make me appreciate three-click for what it is). The Tour mode seems to you the simulation mode from the last game. I love that they added a good map, because while I don't want to use Zoom to Aim, I do want a good look at the layout of where the ball will land, and what my next approach will be in order to plan my shot.

I will be amazed if you cannot adjust your stance for fade, draw and loft and the way in which you mark the ball for striking. Shot shaping is a Tour option that can turned off or on, and there is a shot showing the striking position.

So far, this looks like the best of both worlds, to me.

The diagonal swings weren't a big deal to me. My favorite version of the game TW11 didn't have it, and I never felt like it added anything to later versions.

Give me shot shaping and a good way to view the course without using it to aim, and I'm pretty freaking happy. Will still have to see how it plays.

Last edited by gustavus; 04-23-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Banned

Re: EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th

And I agree with Hutton, the greens looked way off, almost like a shag carpet.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th

Looks and sounds good to me.

Except for that July release date.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Looks and sounds good to me.

Except for that July release date.
That is a bummer. But there are other games coming in May and June I am going to spend a lot of time with, so it won't kill me.

Would love it if they decided to space releases out to two or three years.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Banned

Re: EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer and Gameplay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by godylla
I think the mid-air spin is just like in previous versions of the Tiger Woods series. Where tapping A/X in the air and holding the analog stick in a direction will give you backspin, top spin, or a favorable bounce left or right depending on which direction you are holding the analog.
Yeah this used to be a standard way to play the tiger games, but has been pushed back into the arcade modes. The higher difficulties have had this taken out for years.

I don't mind EA catering a chunk of the game to arcade play, because that is sizable market. As long as we can set up out Country Clubs with consistent settings, I think we will all find our sweet spot, even if there might be some debate.

I'm almost always going to want the green grid, regardless of difficulty. I don't want putt previews, but I do want an accurate way to see the breaks of the green.

I wondering about the caddie. I don't use it when playing a tournament, and would have it set to off in anything I set up for friends to play. But it is nice to have to practice with. If I'm all over the place, sometime looking the caddie will clue me in to what I am missing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer and Gameplay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Not sure how I feel about this "mid air spin" as in the blog they made it sound like you can change direction of the ball mid flight. If that's the case I really hope there will be different tournament settings for each of the gameplay settings.
Only in arcade mode....

EDIT: After re-reading the blog, you can customize how you play the game with any of the swing combinations. However, for online play and Live Tournaments, the swings will be default for each swing for each tournament meaning you can't add in-flight spin to the ball in TOUR mode, but you could in any offline mode. My apologies for the confusion.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2

Last edited by DivotMaker; 04-23-2015 at 06:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »