Home

TPC Boston Added to the List of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Courses

This is a discussion on TPC Boston Added to the List of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Courses within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: TPC Boston Added to the List of Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Courses

TPC Boston is a powerfully boring golf course.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Unless they come out at E3 and say differently, I think that BF4 course will be in the game as a fantasy course. I hope to hell not, but who knows. How the hell a PGA TOUR licensed game (exclusively licensed) could have something so "non-PGA TOUR" as content is beyond me.....
Guess it is just me, but I am ok with the over the top courses. Not at the cost of more realistic course, of course. I probably will not play them, but I am ok with it being a DLC.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
TPC Boston is a powerfully boring golf course.
I'm guessing the PGA TOUR might disagree with you......

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #12
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

Quote:
I'm guessing the PGA TOUR might disagree with you......
Would it? They would play at Brookline in a heartbeat but the course doesn't have the parking nearby necessary to host an event year after year. Trying to make it happen even for another US Open is proving difficult. The course next door to Brookline used to be a staging/parking area but it doesn't want to anymore after major renovations following the last payout for rental for the Ryder Cup. Newport CC is world class too but I'm not sure Newport can handle the tour-sized tournament crowds for an entire week (and it's about two hours from Boston).

There aren't any other obvious choices that are actually interesting courses. Most of the great courses are generally only long enough to handle a Senior, Women's, or Amateur event: Kittansett, Myopia Hunt, Worcester (was runner up for a Women's Open recently), Salem (Senior Open rotation), Hyannisport, The Orchards (Women's Open), Eastward Ho, Oyster Harbors, etc.

So they built TPC Boston with an event in mind and the area can easily handle the traffic/cars/bodies. It is boring as anything though. 16-18 are a nice finishing three, with 18 being a great last hole, but they're nothing compared to many other tour courses. The rest of the course is just a contrived modern layout through a uniform swampy/reclaimed land that brings a sense of monotony to every hole. If it weren't a FEDEX playoff event none of the big players would be bothering to show up for this event.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
MVP

Opinions vary. I would tend to listen to the PGA TOUR for a proper explanation. Thanks anyway.

If there was a regular TOUR event there, are you trying to tell me that Pros would avoid playing there with $6-7MM on the line with a $1.2MM first prize with 500 FedEx points on the line? It may be a boring course, but it is what it is and as far as RM goes, it beats the crap out of another fantasy course.

The Golf Club 2
Old 05-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

Quote:
Opinions vary. I would tend to listen to the PGA TOUR for a proper explanation. Thanks anyway.

If there was a regular TOUR event there, are you trying to tell me that Pros would avoid playing there with $6-7MM on the line with a $1.2MM first prize with 500 FedEx points on the line? It may be a boring course, but it is what it is and as far as RM goes, it beats the crap out of another fantasy course.
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying--the fields are generally much weaker at lesser events on lesser courses. This course is propped up entirely by being a FEDEX playoff course. Plop it in the middle of the season and it would just be another Traveler's Championship or John Deere Classic.

The course isn't even a tiny draw in and of itself. It's no Riviera, or Pebble Beach, or Muirfield, or Congressional, or Doral, or East Lake, or Quail Hollow, or Harbor Town, or Colonial, or Firestone, or Sawgrass, or Spyglass ...or well, you get the point.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
MVP

Um, okay....you don't like TPC Boston.....no one said it was any of those courses. Not many of those are easy to get licenses for. All but Quail Valley have been in the game at some point in time.

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #16
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

Quote:
Um, okay....you don't like TPC Boston.....no one said it was any of those courses. Not many of those are easy to get licenses for. All but Quail Valley have been in the game at some point in time.
I didn't say I don't like it, I said it is boring. Powerfully boring, to be precise.

A golf game benefits from having interesting tracks. Yes, many of the courses I listed have been in the game in the past, but the point is they're better (and gone) while TPC Boston is a boring, soulless, modern course. And yes, licensing can be difficult to acquire but that certainly isn't the consumer's problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »