Home

NBA 2K13's Alternate Reality And What It Says About Sports Games

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13's Alternate Reality And What It Says About Sports Games within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K13's Alternate Reality And What It Says About Sports Games

Makes me really miss the mod scene on PC for 2k games. With 2k15, the mod scene regressed by years. Ultimate Base Roster and NCAA mods were god tier. On PC on 2k14 you could start a franchise in the 60s and use real draft classes with accurate cyber faces all the way up to 2017. So goddamn fun. 2k15 made that so much harder to do.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #10
sfx
Rookie

My aversion to buying the newest version of the game has always been due to the time I've invested in my world. I'm still playing MLB The Show 11 because I've spent so much time on the RTTS character. With the ability to carry that universe into the new games, I'm almost guaranteed to buy the new version year after year. That is an essential feature that all sports games should have where possible.

Also, years ago, I used to fanatically play Front Page Sports titles on the PC. My memory may be shaky but I felt like their sim engine was pretty good because they simulated every play. I feel like now it's up to an RNG for instantaneous results. I may be wrong about that but the time spent having my game sim in the background was well worth the immersion I gained for it's realism.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4
It's why Cities: Skylines is a labour of love. C:S is my first PC game for a long, long time and I only purchased the game because of the modding community. The way the game unravels can happen in so many different ways depending on the mods available.

Editing tools should definitely be available on all platforms for those that can expand on the game. I can only imagine what 2K basketball would be like on current gen consoles, had these tools been available.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 19
I think thats the intentions with MLB THE SHOW. the ability to import an existing legacy mode into a newer version of game allows the alternate reality to truly play out, without compromising new features.
Hopefully all other sports games will incorporate this feature.

Some games are good enough that a user will continue to play older versions of said title. Like it says in the article, I continue to play CH2k8, and NCAA14 for this reason

In addition with other titles, Ill usually import 1 or 2 draft classes, then use the draft classes created by the game's engine to play out a legacy mode.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye guy
It's why Cities: Skylines is a labour of love. C:S is my first PC game for a long, long time and I only purchased the game because of the modding community. The way the game unravels can happen in so many different ways depending on the mods available.

Editing tools should definitely be available on all platforms for those that can expand on the game. I can only imagine what 2K basketball would be like on current gen consoles, had these tools been available.
Excellent example. Instead of seeing customers as passive and something to be exploited, developers should be viewing them as partners in development. Don't compete with your own community (something you see with AAA developers all the time).
Old 06-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2K13's Alternate Reality And What It Says About Sports Games

The ultimate base roster is perhaps the greatest basketball mod ever made, if it wasn't for the clunky control schemes and the last gen graphics, I would have stuck that out for years to come. 2k15 would be on a whole other level if it had customisation like that.

But hey, they can't even get the look of the legends uniforms right, next gen, let alone give us the tools to expand on that universe.

Maybe i'll fire up 2k14, see if I can revert.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
Rookie

NBA 2K14 on PC + Ultimate Base Roster (which is still being updated) is a situation in which I'll be playing for YEARS to come or until they figure out a way to bring UBR to next gen NBA 2K games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #16
Rookie

This is the direction many of these games are heading.

Think of it as a combination of OOTP Baseball and The Show...a historical simulation mashed up with the actual game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »