Home

MLB 15 The Show Is the Series' Magnum Opus

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Is the Series' Magnum Opus within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
I have to disagree. This year's game has some great qualities, but the overall gameplay is the horrible. The comeback code is alive and well in this game. Umps start squeezing the zone, .200 hitters turn into Ted Williams and defensive players run around blind-folded. I know about the sliders. I fiddle with the sliders and I cannot get them to simulate a decent game.

1. The CPU has 100 times more hit paths than human. I play zone and cannot believe the CPU is hitting HRs when their PCI is no where near the ball.
2. The CPU has 10 times the defensive range. If I don't hit a homerun, it's not going over the outfielders heads. On base hits with a man on second, the outfielder is 5 steps off the infield grass when they are throwing to the plate. In my last game, my 2B ducked on a critical line drive hit directly at him. WTF??
3. I feel like I'm watching Final Destination when the CPU is about to doogle me: two out walk to the #8 hitter, the pitcher hits a bleeder over the mound, the leadoff hitter slaps a cue shot past my 3B, then the #2 slaps an 0-2 slider which was supposed to be in the dirt into the gap to clear the bases.
4. Human defenders have no awareness of base runners and can take their sweet *** time making throws at the wrong time. While the CPU players make accurate off-balance throws.
5. The fielding animations is straight b.s. on ground balls too.
BONUS: They even spelled "Champions" wrong on Arizona's banners.

MLB 13 was the best game since it came to PS3/PS4. I knew this day would come, but I never thought I would go out like this. I've been gaming since the late 70's, so I've had a great run. I had the following systems when they first came out: Atari 5200, Colecovision, Commodore 64, NES, Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Gameboy, Playstation (1-4), DS, PSP and Vita, and have been playing sports games the entire time. I think it's time to leave these sports game to the youngsters.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 15 The Show Is the Series' Magnum Opus

The game is good. Very good, actually. But to make it even better, to make it on par with a game like nba 2k15, the flaws must be documented. While it's nice to sit back and say, this game is a masterpiece would be doing both the studio and the fans a disservice. By no means is the game bad, and likely it deserves much of the praise it gets, but what bothers me is when we're told to be emphatically positive. I'm not trashing the show, nor have I ever, but there's no harm in pointing out potential improvements. Your article was very good (this post is mostly directed towards a lot of the comments I see posted on this forum). The show is phenomenal, I play it multiple hours every day for the last ten years. But still there are things that must be improved upon that haven't been touched, for it to be the definitive best sports game period. Number one is player models. I still feel like this is a ps3 port. I don't see many pointing this out so I try to do it often. The stadiums, lighting etc look phenomenal. But the players still look like upressed last gen models. Batting stances make players feel more unique than previous years but they still feel one and the same, no uniqueness to them. They need to overhaul the models. Make beasts like Stanton look muscular. Let me see it in their jerseys and arms etc not just a singular skeleton with some girth added. Make chubby guys look chubby. Make skinny players skinnier and more petite. This is my number one biggest issue with the show. While others might not care, I care. This isn't footbalwhere they're covered in pads and a helmet, the players should each be unique. Fix jerseys. Make them baggy for players like cc, tight for players like Stanton etc. I want to feel like I'm actually Giancarlo Stanton, because right now I don't. Secondly is make rtts more immersive. It's stale at this point. I don't feel like I'm the player. I just feel like a lifeless robot at this point. Part of this is being spoiled by nba but that is not such a bad thing because it let's you know that it can be done. It was great and innovative the first few years but it doesn't feel any different from five years ago. On the gameplay side I'm content. I'm sure others have different wishes but honestly aside from commentary and presentation I'm fine. The game is great and I play it a ton and it speaks volumes that after all these years of being relatively unchanged that it still plays excellent but I'm not ready to call this their magnum opus because there is still room for improvement. I just felt like saying this because I hate being told not to complain when it's not really complaining but rather trying to make a great game a masterpiece.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #19
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

This game is just so unbelievably good. If I don't play it every day it makes me sad lol. It has its issues like every other game ever but I can't get enough of it.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

It's not perfect, but I think the gameplay is the best it's ever been. And it's been pretty darn good in the past.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:11 AM   #21
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

The developers didn't try to reinvent the wheel since the last game, but the tweaks that they did implement have made this a much improved edition. It's not something that would necessarily jump out at you when watching videos, though. It's one of those things that you have to "feel" by actually playing the game.

I've always been a big fan of online gaming because I find that many sports titles offer a mundane and repetitive single player experience. That's definitely not the case here. I find my games against the CPU to be highly entertaining and every one feels like a unique experience. I've mostly just been running exhibitions with random teams lately and having a blast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #22
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Oh and this is the game I play 95% of the time and bought a PS4 for. I don't regret it a second.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #23
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
MLBTS has been great every since I got smart and bought a PS3 back in 09 and got rid of that crap called MLB2k. The only yr I didn't really get into the game was MLBTS10, because of the relievers playing in way too many games, but other than that yr once this game comes out I have a hard time putting it down.

MLB15 is definitely the best game to date, they really nailed it with gameplay this yr and even using the stock pitching repertoires isn't as bad as it has been in the past to where the game is unplayable without pitch edits.

The new pitch movements and how fielders especially OF'ers will misplay balls is what really makes this yrs game standout. Graphics are great, but graphics every year have always been top notch in this game.

The game does have some flaws, but every game does. The announcers saying wrong names is really the only thing I have found that just annoys me to know end, although it don't happen overly often it does it enough to be annoying to me.

I would like to see Real time presentation be brought back, to where its like your at the game and there isnt replays, as I really liked that presentation when they had it in the game.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3
I enjoyed reading this article for I feel the same way...I am 57 games into my Mets franchise and even when I lose i like it...I allow the AI to field, so I pitch and hit...that said, I too realize there are some glaring hiccups in fielding which I would like addressed, but otherwise, can't argue with the fact I usually have become bored or frustrated with a baseball game by now...but not with this...bought my PS4 for MLB this year...have not regretted it at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »