Home

Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibility

This is a discussion on Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibility within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #25
MVP

ricky24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
Aside from the fact there might not be enough room in the entertainment center for an old console why wouldn't you just play the old games in the old console? I don't get this at all.

There are features on the new console that are better. Headsets, controller, recording and screenshot options. The list goes on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Re: Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibi

Two years ago and full BC, not emulation, would have caused me to look hard at getting an XB1 over the PS4. Now it's too little too late. A select few games being chosen to play, and hearing some of the games are already performing poorlly means little to me now. I have a 360 that's been played 2 times in the last year, I've moved on to all the new games we've been getting. PS Now is a terrible substitute, but even when I had the free beta for it, I still never used it, just didn't care about old games.

I get MS idea though, there's still a lot of 360 owners who haven't migrated over yet, this is a big deal to keep them on the Xbox platform.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #27
MVP

ricky24's Arena

It's in beta. So it makes sense that there is only a select few right now. Most perform well for the most part. I guess mass effect has a few issues but I played it for an hour or so and didn't notice anything. That's why it's in beta though. To fix things like that.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #28
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
Of course not, how could you possibly emulate the Cell processor?

Ah yes, the all powerful cell processor.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #29
Rookie

If Microsoft had announced this at launch it would've been a big deal. Now I think most everyone has moved on from games that came out on 10 year old hardware.

People trading in their 360's for One's thinking they can play any 360 game they want are in for a surprise. The fact you have to install old games on your hdd is going to make it hard for owners of the 500gb model to find space for many old games. This reeks of desperation to me to get one over on Sony, but I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth in the end.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #30
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmreds
If Microsoft had announced this at launch it would've been a big deal. Now I think most everyone has moved on from games that came out on 10 year old hardware.

People trading in their 360's for One's thinking they can play any 360 game they want are in for a surprise. The fact you have to install old games on your hdd is going to make it hard for owners of the 500gb model to find space for many old games. This reeks of desperation to me to get one over on Sony, but I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth in the end.
Hard drive space really isn't an issue. It's quick, simple and easy to just pick up an external hard drive and plug it in by USB. Problem solved. X360 titles were also smaller in size since they were only on regular DVD's. So they don't eat up as much space as the titles on the X1 and PS4.

For now, the list is very selective of games, in the beta test phase in the preview program. I've had no issues with the ones I'm playing.

I don't think the issue is people still WANT to play old games, it's the fact that you bought it. You still own it. You bought it digitally, and when you move to the X1, it's "gone". Come November, it won't be (hopefully as that list grows anyways). So, its the opportunity to still get some value out of something you own, without having to keep the console laying around.

Everyone knew it would be hard to get backwards compatibility on these new consoles. MS pulled it off via emulation. For Sony to sit back and go, "Well, if it was easy we'd do it" or something along those lines is basically saying, we'd rather charge you for it via PSN Now because we've invested too much into it. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their stance on that down the road.

I think this move should help a lot of the current 360 users migrate over to an X1. I think it will also help some of those who had 360's, and are fortunate enough to afford a PS4 and X1, but switched to PS4 at next gen launch, go out and pick up an X1 now too. Especially as that list of BC games continues to grow. You get the value, out of stuff you already own. It'll definitely help sales I'd bet. Whatever happens, I'm just a bit surprised at Sony's response.

Last edited by brandon27; 06-23-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #31
MVP

People are forgetting that even though Microsoft is adding BC, it's still up to the developers to allow it for their games. So while this is a nice touch (although a little too late in my opinion) it may not turn out to be like people are expecting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #32
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmreds

Nothing you wrote makes sense. MS does not give a flying you know what about 360 games. This was not done for that purpose...This was done for the sole purpose of getting xbox 360 owners to make the jump while showing them that if they ever wish to play their old games and many do from time to time they can free of charge unlike PS Now which charges and is not native as it must be streamed.

So if you are a 360 owner not yet on next gen...Where are you going to go?

Sony? For what reason over the xbox one at this point?

Resolution, framerate? Not anymore buddy....

Call it parity or whatever you want but the days of Sony having superior versions of third party are over....It is now down to what one offers over the other.

On xbox one you can keep your old library and revisit when you wish... MS also offers 1tb right now with a free game and adding 3 tb for about 100 dollars externally which is just plug on usb is far more easier then having to perform open heart surgery on ps4 to do so even if many claim is easy...It is still a process that can go wrong and brick your PS4

MS will never catch PS4 world wide and that is fine with them as long as in the U.S they win which I predict they will and by end of this year the might be in the lead in the U.S

An xbox 360 owner is getting a lot from their jump to xbox one

unlike a ps3 owner who is getting a paid online service and they must keep their old consoles if they ever wish to play their titles natively or not have to pay for what they own

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »