Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
The golf club has already been successful with this strategy. This is a great move by EA
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Not a Yearly Title, Will Feature Free Content Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHammer113
The golf club has already been successful with this strategy. This is a great move by EA
Indeed HBS has been successful with this strategy and I think it's what has kept The Golf Club viable. I'm sure I would have lost interest with it early on had it not been upgraded and enhanced over it's year of existence. I don't doubt that EA Sports noticed this also and it had a bearing on their decision to go with it. They're not being copycats, just following the lead of a demonstrated winning formula. I'm almost as excited over this news as I am the "Pro" camera presentation option.... that we still haven't seen in action yet
Old 07-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Rookie

It's unbelievable how well TGC has communicated with the public and kept the game fresh. They have done a masterful job and EA should follow their lead. Now if EA somehow created a golf course designer with Frostbite I would dish out much more than $60. It is definitely wishful thinking, but Frostbite seems extremely powerful
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
MVP

cdawg44's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Indeed HBS has been successful with this strategy and I think it's what has kept The Golf Club viable. I'm sure I would have lost interest with it early on had it not been upgraded and enhanced over it's year of existence. I don't doubt that EA Sports noticed this also and it had a bearing on their decision to go with it. They're not being copycats, just following the lead of a demonstrated winning formula. I'm almost as excited over this news as I am the "Pro" camera presentation option.... that we still haven't seen in action yet

Yeah as long as EA communicates with us better, I'm more than good with this arrangement. We aren't a large community, but EA golf fans are a loyal bunch for the most part. I've been a yearly buyer since only getting 3 courses on Tiger Woods 2001 on PS2 and saw this series go so up and down. Giving the fans info about what's coming, getting feedback about what courses to pursue (gotta get Torrey Pines, Pebble, Oakmont and East Lake ASAP) and just being up front would go a longer way to settle our anxieties about this series. Before this week, it was no chance I'd buy this before it dropped to around 30, now it moved to being a day one purchase after watching the Arnold Palmer video. If we have US open, Open Championship and PGA championship branding, I'm all set and happier than a clam. Thank God we have DivotMaker and OnlookerDelay beating the drum for this series and trying to hold Tiburon's feet to the fire about not communicating and being up front with the fans.

My Teams:
NCAA Football: USC Trojans
NCAA Basketball: UNC Tarheels
NFL: Houston Texans
Premier League: Arsenal
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes

Last edited by cdawg44; 07-01-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
This is fairly surprising and welcome news. I have been hard on this game for shipping with only 8 courses. This news has piqued my interest in what they have planned. Will be awaiting more news about the specifics.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #14
Banned

Yeah, absolutely. The initial news was tough, but if it's NOT going to be a yearly title, then that changes everything.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #15
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Now if only they would do this with every sports title (that is: not make them yearly releases). The longer development cycle would (or at least should) do wonders to actually improve the game from release to release. That said I never expect it because EA would be sacrificing 50% of their revenues, and shareholders wouldn't be too pleased.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
That said I never expect it because EA would be sacrificing 50% of their revenues, and shareholders wouldn't be too pleased.
Not necessarily. If they release continuous premium DLC to keep the game fresh and not FORCE the buyer to get a 60 dollar game every year, but sporadic DLC year round, they could keep revenues up maybe even beat them. (AND it allow's the consumer to choose what DLC they want so they're not pressured into buying something that they NEED, only WANT... so psychologically they feel more inclined to it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »