Home

Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

This is a discussion on Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

Donny Moore, aka the ‘Madden Ratings Czar’, is leaving Electronic Arts as he will be “pursuing other interests.”

In an official statement on Twitter, Moore said, “After much thought & consideration, I have chosen to step away from @EASports & announce my retirement as the Madden Ratings Czar as I have opted to pursue other interests. I am especially grateful of the opportunity to rate players for some of the greatest fans in video games today. After 16 years, it is finally time to hang up the czar's mouse pad! #Czartirement"

For Moore, this ends a long tenure as the guy running the ratings and updates for Madden. Moore’s tenure spanned 16 years at EA Tiburon, which means he was easily one of the most tenured at that studio. There is no word yet on who will be replacing Moore, but we do expect an announcement soon.

The ratings position occupied by Moore has been a staple of Madden’s internet presence for years. Moore’s ratings oftentimes drew criticism, but the weekly ratings updates were always hugely anticipated by fans, despite what ire they may have drawn.

The ratings this year will likely still come in the same pacing as previous years, and it will be interesting to see if any differences in how much players move up and down the scale happens without Moore at the helm. We’ll certainly be watching it going forward!
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

Maybe now they can kill this rating system or consolidate it.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp23
Maybe now they can kill this rating system or consolidate it.
Kill it and re write it is what they need to do.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Crazy, I just sent him a message last night on Facebook asking about his plans for ratings and what they were changing about speed this year.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Will be interesting to see what happens from here...I do not believe consolidating ratings would be good as it would just further make players the same; they need to utilize the ratings they have and give them true value, thus allowing for more diversity between players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

OVR: 0

Well, good luck to him and regardless of our gripes with the system, the guy obviously did the best he could do under the conditions implemented by the entire team's vision.

I do look forward to seeing if there will be some further development or nuances of how players are rated starting with next year's game. More intangible factors to ratings, more complexity/variability, or even completely reworked mechanics entirely. I agree that we don't need to consolidate or combine too many things because the goal should be to get each and every player on the field to have a unique personality and feel.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Rookie

sir psycho's Arena

OVR: 3

Wish him the best of luck with whatever is next for him. That being said, I am definitely intrigued by the possibilities here. Here's hoping that the whole ratings system can be reworked and allow for more separation and variety among players.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

It'll prob be another release cycle or two before they overhaul, but better late(r) than never...

Hopefully EA will take a long look at Dan's system for FBG and either implement that or at least something like it...

Ratings should be based on data, as opposed to stats, conjecture, personal bias...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »