Home

Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

This is a discussion on Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Donny Moore, the 'Madden Ratings Czar', Leaving EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Wish him luck but, hopefully this will lead to getting away from these horrible overrated ratings.

The ratings have always been part of the problem with how the game plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck to Donnie in whatever he does.

Exactly. If EA is truly serious about improved gameplay, they NEED an accurate ratings system. It would be nice if they take a look at FBG ratings and NFL 2k5's rating system, but in the end the suits will overrule the ratings of specific players regardless of who is hired. Its unfortunate, but there is nothing we can really do about it other than re-edit the ratings ourselves.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #18
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Wait and see...

Did he leave because he just found a better opportunity and it was time to move on after 16 years?

Did he leave because he wanted to keep the current rating system in place and everyone else wanted it overhauled? Vice versa?

Since we know marketing is somewhat involved, did he leave because they want be more involved?

Maybe the suits now want to approve rating changes or at least dictate what they should be based on popularity.

Way too easy to speculate on what this means because there isn't in any info on why he left. I'll wait and see...
Old 07-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

His retirement statement reminds me a little of Tikki Barber's.
I wish Donny all the best.

P.S.: T.J. Houshmandzadeh still wants his speed rating up.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Wait and see...

Did he leave because he just found a better opportunity and it was time to move on after 16 years?

Did he leave because he wanted to keep the current rating system in place and everyone else wanted it overhauled? Vice versa?

Since we know marketing is somewhat involved, did he leave because they want be more involved?

Maybe the suits now want to approve rating changes or at least dictate what they should be based on popularity.

Way too easy to speculate on what this means because there isn't in any info on why he left. I'll wait and see...

Ratings being dictated by a player's popularity, rather than his actual skill set, is something that really diminishes immersion from the game. That is something that was somewhat acceptable back in 2001, but now in 2015 we should see a ratings system based on REAL DATA from NFL teams and scouting reports- AKA an FBG ratings-esque system. In 2015 ratings should be the smallest problem when it comes to madden, but unfortunately it continues to be one of the game's major flaws and has and possibly always will hold the game back gameplay wise

Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #21
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
Ratings being dictated by a player's popularity, rather than his actual skill set, is something that really diminishes immersion from the game. That is something that was somewhat acceptable back in 2001, but now in 2015 we should see a ratings system based on REAL DATA from NFL teams and scouting reports- AKA an FBG ratings-esque system. In 2015 ratings should be the smallest problem when it comes to madden, but unfortunately it continues to be one of the game's major flaws and has and possibly always will hold the game back gameplay wise

This right here has been my biggest bug-a-boo with the way the ratings were applied.

I'll never forget that for the longest time when Tom Brady came on the scene his THP rating was 92. From like 2003-2006, like clockwork every year it was 92. Then he gets Randy Moss, throws 50 touchdown passes, the Patriots go 16-0 and the next year his THP gets beefed up to 99!

Really... really??? So 50 TD passes and all of sudden he's got the strongest arm in the NFL???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #22
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Not to knock the guy down but I am excited for a change here. After inputting all of the fbg ratings into the game last year and seeing what a HUGE difference it made to the game and gameplay I think it's time madden makes a change. It's amazing how different (in a extremely positive way) the game plays with different ratings.
can you tell me the two second version of how it improved the gameplay? Not doubting, I just have no experience with these ratings
Old 07-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
can you tell me the two second version of how it improved the gameplay? Not doubting, I just have no experience with these ratings
Bigger difference between the players. Playing with or against a superstar feels like it vs. playing with some scrub
Old 07-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #24
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, I've felt for a while that the ratings system needed some fresh blood, or at least a new perspective, but this might not actually mean that's what's happening. You always run the risk that the replacement will be even worse.

I remember that article a while ago on the disconnect between what some developers wanted to do and what Donny wanted. As in Donny wanted to continue to expand the ratings to show greater difference between players, while others were completely at a loss as to why that was necessary.
I don't see anyway that his replacement is a single person. They have to come in with a ratings team. It's just too much work for one guy first of all and it becomes very arbitrary in the sense that just bc one person thinks a guy should be rated X his stats don't match up to it.

However we did go 16 years with just one guy doing the ratings so I could be wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »