Home

NBA Live 16: Game Shows Potential, But What Are You Looking For?

This is a discussion on NBA Live 16: Game Shows Potential, But What Are You Looking For? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA Live 16: Game Shows Potential, But What Are You Looking For?

NBA Live 16 had some new screenshots released just before the Holiday weekend, and the game admittedly continues to look better and better. In a new video (above), I talk about the game's improved looks and how it may finally be a viable alternative to NBA 2K.

But until we see gameplay, we can't get too far ahead of ourselves. However, there is the potential for an Online Team Play mode in NBA Live, and our guys were really high on Live coming out of E3.

What do you think? What does NBA Live 16 need to do to earn your business as a customer, and what would you like to see the game accomplish this year? Sound off in the comments!
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Chris - They'll earn my business either way but to answer your question, I'm really looking forward to a much improved post game. I can't stress it enough. I'd take the improved post game over animations and commentary which are the other areas I want to see worked on more.

I really think Live as a series is getting better and it seems that EA is truly listening to its loyal fans as we anticipate OTP, the addition of GameFace which I suggested many times to them over Twitter especially after 2K revealed their face scan technology. But all these modes, the new LiveMotion which EA advertises a lot, to me would be somewhat of a waste without improved gameplay and for me, IMO, post game is key to having an overall improved gameplay as it's the component of the game that is so lacking especially when compared to their competitor.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 32
Re: NBA Live 16: Game Shows Potential, But What Are You Looking For?

I already know I'm buying 2K16. That's a done deal.

I want to know what NBA Live offers — especially in terms of gameplay — that 2K16 doesn't.

Is it an impressive pick-and-roll/dribble-handoff game?

It is an online team play mode that rewards smart basketball as opposed to exploits?

Is the new passing system coupled with smart, balanced defensive play to make the offense/defense battle feel like the game of chess it deserves to be?

If NBA Live hits a home run in those areas, I'm in, because it'll give me a compelling reason to play the game regularly.

I don't want to buy the game if it's a less enjoyable, less rewarding experience for me than 2K16 in every way.

It needs gameplay elements that I love and can't get elsewhere.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Rookie

I am one of the few members of the Live community that has supported this game through its ups and downs along with my boy Izzy Snow above. As he said above there are somethings in the game that needs more work than others for example the most game. Although I do agree that NBA Live needs an animation overhaul in order to be looked at as a serious competitor by people in the 2k community, I feel the post game is the one thing that is far behind. I do however, like the fact that Live is sticking to the plan of trying to eliminate predetermined canned animations and 2 man animations. I've said it on our NBA Live Stream Team, Team Streams several times, and that is that NBA Live needs to give us the animation of NBA 2k, but the control of NBA Live. I am definitely looking forward to the possibilty of this adidas live run mode or whatever they are going to decide to call it. The face scanning from the phone is definitely a welcome addition seeing that I loved 2ks version, even though it was a headache.-
Old 07-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Rookie

Vic Viper's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
I am one of the few members of the Live community that has supported this game through its ups and downs along with my boy Izzy Snow above. As he said above there are somethings in the game that needs more work than others for example the most game. Although I do agree that NBA Live needs an animation overhaul in order to be looked at as a serious competitor by people in the 2k community, I feel the post game is the one thing that is far behind. I do however, like the fact that Live is sticking to the plan of trying to eliminate predetermined canned animations and 2 man animations. I've said it on our NBA Live Stream Team, Team Streams several times, and that is that NBA Live needs to give us the animation of NBA 2k, but the control of NBA Live. I am definitely looking forward to the possibilty of this adidas live run mode or whatever they are going to decide to call it. The face scanning from the phone is definitely a welcome addition seeing that I loved 2ks version, even though it was a headache.-
That's the problem the Live team would run into. If you bring 2 man animations into NBA LIVE, you will face the issue of losing control of your player. They really need to focus on making animations that are pleasant on the eye. Their current animations can look ugly at times and that's because they aren't canned or prolonged.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
I completely understand the common complaint people have regarding animations. It is quite frustrating any time that you feel you aren't totally in control over your player. That being said, I feel like Live has stayed too far on the other side of the fence. The players just don't move realistically in my opinion. I'm not saying it's deal breaker for me, if the gameplay proves itself good enough, but it definitely takes away some of the immersion when the players all move like robots, both on the court and in the cut scenes. Say what you will about 2k, but the animations look pretty great, especially when you drive the rim. I feel like I rarely, if ever, see the same collision twice, and that's pretty amazing.

I thought the passing was pretty bad on Live last year as well, it will be interesting to see how much that has actually been improved upon.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

It's an excuse, TBH... Having body's completely whiff when contact should have been there isn't for some greater good. It's just a lack of animation quality. Any one who played Live '15 knows there are animations between two players that literally stop, then start again when two players interact with each other. That needs to be ironed out.

That's what I am looking forward to honestly, an quality, excuse free game.

No more 'foundation' and 'potential' talk.

I just want to the Live team to put their best foot forward and drop a good game...and it looks like they plan on doing that this year.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I'M looking forward to the online play and physics. I liked the game last year but it felt so dry and something was missing . Also I enjoyed not getting stuck in animations so much . But there wasn't enough signature animations to make me put down 2k.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »